Fraps on Continuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraps on Continuum

For some reason, I'm unable to record any videos of Continuum using FRAPS over 3 fps. My computer can FRAPS Crysis at around 34 fps and it can do Team Fortress 2 at a stable 55-60 both at high settings but whenever I try it with Continuum, the frame rate declines to a unplayable 1-3 fps. Something isn't right because it is just silly for my computer to be able to record Crysis but not Trench Wars. Is there something special that I need to do to make it possible to record the gameplay at a stable fps? If anyone could help me, that would be great.

My specs are:
    T9300
    4GB RAM
    8800M GTX
    Vista Ultimate x64
    I am running the newest version of FRAPS (2.9.5).

my only guess would be to.......

STOP PLAYING SUBSPACE

Comment

terrible idea!
      Less QQ More pew pew

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
        my only guess would be to....... STOP PLAYING SUBSPACE
        Yea!

Let's play Continuum instead :P
        Maverick
        Retired SSCU Trench Wars Super Moderator
        Retired SSCU Trench Wars Bot Coordinator
        Retired Trench Wars Core Administrator
        Subspace Statistics Administrator
        Former Mervbot plugin developer

Comment

:wub:

Comment

Dealing with that kind of hardware is way beyond my scope. :fear:
            You ate some priest porridge

Comment

I tried this before ages ago for a video project for TW, and FRAPS was being so lame about it giving me a low FPS just like you're experiencing.

Have you got the full version? The demo version maybe putting a limit/restriction on the FPS you receive?
              Also check background apps, it may help to free memory up and such?

That's all I can think of buddy.
              (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
              5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
              1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
              1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

Sorry, double posted...
                (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
                5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
                1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
                1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

use XP

Comment

I tried recording with XP but the same low framerate problem still exists. I'm also using the full registered version of FRAPS, the newest version that I have is especially capable in the usage of 64-bit operating systems and duo core processing. I doubt it has anything to do with the memory or the CPU because I am able to record more higher end games such as Bioshock and Team Fortress 2 with great framerates. I'm starting to think that it is just an issue with Continuum because it is such an old game. Maybe someone knows of another program that is more suitable to recording Continuum?

Comment

Continuum uses an old and somewhat non-standard set of DirectX video calls in order to do its graphics (this was why it too so long to get it working under Linux as well). This may be causing your problem.

AFAIK fraps has never worked very well with subspace (I've heard people complaing about fraps+cont for years).

I've not recorded a video of cont myself, so I'm just guessing from here, but....

Suggestions:
                      * Try recording in windowed mode
                      * Try enabling/disabling the frame rate limit option in the cont options (before you enter game view -> advanced options -> no framerate limit)
                      * Try the other advanced options for graphics (software emulation, avoid page flipping, disable clipping)
                      * Try a different video capture program (gamecam maybe? http://www.planetgamecam.com/) theres plenty of others
                      * Try a different graphics card - Nvidia have pretty ropey drivers and tend to cut corners (sorry, "optimise") in order to get high scores in benchmarks on the latest games, which might cause a problem with the "legacy" way cont does stuff

You could also find people who HAVE successfully recorded videos and ask them how they did it.... I've seen quite a few full frame rate vids, so its obviously possible somehow.

LEM
                      DinkyKitty.com - news, reviews and articles of a techy nature

Comment

My sister swears by hypercam http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/downloads.asp but admits she has never used it for cont... but it might be worth a try.

LEM

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmin View Post
                          Continuum uses an old and somewhat non-standard set of DirectX video calls in order to do its graphics (this was why it too so long to get it working under Linux as well). This may be causing your problem.

AFAIK fraps has never worked very well with subspace (I've heard people complaing about fraps+cont for years).

I've not recorded a video of cont myself, so I'm just guessing from here, but....

Suggestions:
                          * Try recording in windowed mode
                          * Try enabling/disabling the frame rate limit option in the cont options (before you enter game view -> advanced options -> no framerate limit)
                          * Try the other advanced options for graphics (software emulation, avoid page flipping, disable clipping)
                          * Try a different video capture program (gamecam maybe? http://www.planetgamecam.com/) theres plenty of others
                          * Try a different graphics card - Nvidia have pretty ropey drivers and tend to cut corners (sorry, "optimise") in order to get high scores in benchmarks on the latest games, which might cause a problem with the "legacy" way cont does stuff

You could also find people who HAVE successfully recorded videos and ask them how they did it.... I've seen quite a few full frame rate vids, so its obviously possible somehow.

LEM
                          You should be a smod. Head of Public Relations :wub:
                          7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
                          7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
                          7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
                          7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
                          1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

Originally posted by Capital Knockers View Post
                            You should be a smod. Head of Public Relations :wub:
                            Nah, I should be a ZH...

Oh, wait. Never mind

I'm not patient enough to be a smod, and you know it

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmin View Post
                              I'm not patient enough
                              i think anyone knowing who mister fluffy is would know this.

Valholy, if i were you i would talk to someone who has had a history of shooting tw videos. Like heavensent. Hes surely knows what hes talking about.
                              Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                              2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                              2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

Working...
                              X