This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qan View Post
    Pressure Check the first page for the list of instructions. The person who first completed the steps found that after uploading the file and then downloading again, for some reason it didn't function properly. I'd try repeating the steps yourself, perhaps wrapping it up for others and uploading and seeing if you have the same issue.
    Thanks qan, yeah already tried this but it doesn't work on my current operating system (Catalina).

Comment

As I understand it, this is for Catalina. I don't closely follow Apple products, though, so I wouldn't be the best to confirm. You could try DMing some of those here who've gotten it to work, or explain where the process breaks down for you.

There's also the option of buying an older Windows system. I'd look for something running Win 7 or earlier (the newer the OS gets the more likely it is to cause issues with SS), and ideally something that was top of the line when it came out, but now has trouble fetching more than $50. If a laptop, could output to an external monitor.
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
      -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Why does it keep breaking? What changes?

Comment

qan, I've been using a 15" ASUS laptop for SS, which is fine, but recently got my MacBook fixed and they automatically installed the latest OS for me. I've been using a MacBook for SS for roughly 10 years, and after the second or third year I upgraded my OS and spiffyguy needed to upgrade his workaround for Continuum to be compatible. He had to do this for me 2-3 times over the past 10 years and was always successful at providing a working upgrade whenever I installed the latest OS and the older version of Continuum wasn't compatible. However, he has been MIA, and I haven't been able to let him know his workaround doesn't apply to Catalina.

It's not that it's "breaking", Rab , it's that I recently had the latest OS installed and now when I try to run Continuum it doesn't work. I've tried porting apps, redownloading Wine, Wineskin, XQuartz, all the old stuff that used to work is no longer working on Catalina. By "no longer working" I mean I double click, or right click and "Open" the Continuum icon and nothing happens. Nothing loads. No apps are seen running under "Force Quit" that I can shut down.

The only solution is spiffyguy just needs to do what he usually does to update the Continuum package for MacOS. Hopefully he gets online to see these messages someday.

Comment

If you're not able to replicate it like Stryke did at https://forums.trenchwars.com/suppor...50#post1333550 there's not much else that can be said. It seems someone else had luck replicating this method. I'd try doing it again and following each step to the letter.

If that doesn't work, you could always Boot Camp it and buy a $5 Windows key off of eBay.
            "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

Originally posted by Stryke View Post
              Ok, just spent a bunch of time repackaging this from scratch with a new Wine build. For future me (for the inevitable computer/OS upgrade) or for any others, here are the sequence of steps I took.

System Setup
              1. Disable SIP: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disab...tion-mac-os-x/

Getting the files ready
              2. Download Wineskin Winery https://portingteam.com/topic/11037-...eskin-project/
              3. Download Continuum 0.40d - this is a package that someone else created, but no longer works on Catalina. You’ll need this for the Continuum files. http://www.mediafire.com/file/t0dz6t...d_Mac.dmg/file
              3. Using Wineskin, install Engine WS11WineCX64Bit19.0.1

Getting the wrapper ready
              4. Create New Blank Wrapper (call it Continuum 0.40e or whatever else you’d like)
              5. Right-click Continuum 0.40e and hit “Show Package Contents”
              6. Install Continuum 0.40d, navigate to it and hit “Show Package Contents”. Move the Continuum folder over from C:\Program Files\Continuum to the same folder in the Continuum 0.40e wrapper you just created. Also copy over the “Contents\Resources” folder.

Wine settings
              7. Open Wineskin and click Advanced - you’re in the Configuration Tab
              8. Set Windows EXE to "C:\Program Files\Continuum\Continuum.exe"
              9. Set Menubar Name to Continuum 0.40e
              10. Set Version to 0.40
              11. Set Wine Debug to err+all,fixme+all
              12. Set the icon by going to the Contents -> Resources -> Wineskin.icns
              13. In the Advanced Tab, check “Disable Gecko Installation…”

… and you’re good to go!
              Going to try this later. Quoted for visibility. Thanks qan

Comment

No problem, if it works (or doesn't) and you don't mind posting an update, please do -- that'll help others in the future. Could even try uploading the package and seeing if it'll work for anyone else.

Comment

Missing some options like resolution selection, but otherwise it worked pretty seamlessly. Thanks qan!

Comment

Ahh, that's due to missing some registry keys. The one that prevents you in particular from loading resolutions is ColorDepth.

You can load the default registry values by opening a console and typing:

wine regedit

Then Registry -> Import Registry File.

I've attached the registry file to import here. You may need to rename this to a .reg extension.

(Or, also using regedit, just add the ColorDepth key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Continuum\Options and set its value to 32. But you might still have a few other minor problems.)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry I have not been keeping this up to date. I JUST packaged the latest version for Mac (0.40e) that runs on Catalina and Big Sur! Technically this install should work from 10.9 -> 11.0.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fpmlf8...e_Mac.dmg/file (old version. There is a NEWER version linked on the first post of this thread)

This download is bigger than all previous versions because it carries the wine32on64 crossover version of wine that allows 32bit windows apps to run on 64 bit only Macs. This also works on the new M1 processors!

I would appreciate any feedback/issues/or whatever on this new version! You can find me on the subspace discord chat.
                      Last edited by spiffyguy; 12-26-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spiffyguy View Post
                        Hi Everyone,

I am sorry I have not been keeping this up to date. I JUST packaged the latest version for Mac (0.40e) that runs on Catalina and Big Sur! Technically this install should work from 10.9 -> 11.0.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fpmlf8...e_Mac.dmg/file

This download is bigger than all previous versions because it carries the wine32on64 crossover version of wine that allows 32bit windows apps to run on 64 bit only Macs. This also works on the new M1 processors!

I would appreciate any feedback/issues/or whatever on this new version! You can find me on the subspace discord chat.
                        This is great! Thanks for doing this. I’ve been looking forward to this update.
                        In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                        twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                        twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Originally posted by spiffyguy View Post
                          Hi Everyone,

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fpmlf8...e_Mac.dmg/file

You really do always pull through, thanks so much for all of the years of updates and for this new one. I don't play on a MacBook anymore but I'll still download this update and let you know how it works. I'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow

Comment

I’m not sure if this is related to the file (being bigger etc) or just other issues but I do seem to have more screen lag with this version. I have the old version on my old Mac and it runs just fine but the new download on my new Mac with the M1 processor is spikey with screen lag. I’ve been trying to troubleshoot with multiple tweaks but haven’t had any success yet. If you think there’s something that could be done with the file to make it better let me know but otherwise it works great.
                            In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
                            twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
                            twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

Hi everyone,

I just packaged the latest version of Continuum for Mac today! (0.40 F).

In this version I focused on M1 and directdraw slowness issues. Thanks to afghan (aka mvp) for messaging me about it and for all the testing you have done!

Please try out this new version (especially if you are on an Apple M1 processor) and let me know if it's a lot more smooth and everything should work.

Continuum_040f_Mac.dmg
                              https://www.mediafire.com/file/fuayl...f_Mac.dmg/file

This has been tested on macOS Monterey 12.1 and works well. I have not tested but theoretically this should run on macOS High Sierra (10.13) and forward.

- spiffyguy

Comment

spiffyguy thank you so much for your work getting this to work on the mac. It's made a huge difference for me to be able to play it and have it work so well on m1.

Comment

Working...
                                X