No announcement yet.

Magi's Map Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay. don't just make one map, make them all, save them somewhere and send 'em to me. ga@deiru.com

Comment

I'm only sending you 1 map ... since it's basically only 1 foundation. I dunno how you wanna do this ... maybe you change it around or you just post up what you like / don't like? I dunno ... you decide I guess.

The map will be called "javevent" (.lvl i think).

SENT!
      Last edited by Sufficient; 01-13-2004, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient
        I'm only sending you 1 map ... since it's basically only 1 foundation. I dunno how you wanna do this ... maybe you change it around or you just post up what you like / don't like? I dunno ... you decide I guess.

The map will be called "javevent" (.lvl i think).

SENT!

I replied to your email. I took your file and added a couple of made up block patters that I thought would be fun playing around in as a jav. I placed them all in one area at the bottom left of your already present base so I didn't erase or mess with your originally placed tiles. Which, by the way, looks fine so far. But the pattern from baseelim and twd are getting old. We need new patterns. When making block patterns, you can take ideas from baseelim but recreations are just boring. You just take the same formula for making a block pattern into making a new one.

A) There are three types of patterns seen in a good jav map. Wall blocks, large blocks, and small blocks.
        1) Wall blocks are what seperate the base into sections. You'll notice in baseelim that there are sections seperated by long walls, but the walls will have some kind of hole to shoot or fly through.
        2) Large blocks can also create a wall feel. Unlike a wall block, it places long in pretty much all directions as where a wall block spans only in one direction. Large blocks will have many holes to shoot from but most of the time will have no passage. If it does, the passage is usually 2x2- hard to pass through.
        3) Small blocks come in a small package. Usually as small as just one block. Small blocks are there just to act as fillers to fill gaps in a map.

B) In each block pattern there will ALWAYS be holes to shoot from- except, of course, a 1x1 small block pattern. Holes should be made with the shot course in mind. For example. If you want a shot to be made from a north-west angle so that it will only be able to hit a target from a north-east destination, then a upside-down T-Hole shall be used.

C) When creating blocks, you have to have in mind how it will be played in EVERY single way possible and try to incorporate it's environment with that as well. Not only bomb bounces but ship bouncing. Etc.

Comment

Cool ... looks good so far. I figured that we can't go with all new block patterns since I think that ppl will be turned off by a totally new map. That's why the main features are taken from baseelim and twlj. Thus, the N S E W areas are derived from the corridors in baseelim (note that they aren't exact ... they're slightly tighter in our map). The NE NW SE SW areas are where we can really start to incoorporate new block patterns.

I'll work on the map during the weekend and get back to you.

I dunno about overall size still ... but I guess we'll figure that as we go along.

Also, I'd like to know how the spacing and feel of the map is. To me, javufc was WAY too cramped and tight. However, baseelim and twlj are a tinge on the spacey, lots-of-room side. So I wanted the map to not be too cramped up and also not have too much open spaces. So I tried to make it just slightly tighter than baseelim and twlj.

One of my main points that I'm thinking about when dealing with block patterns and the holes within them ... is ... should both "sides" of the block pattern be on equal grounds? In other words ... when you're fighting an nme you on on side and the nme on the other side of the block pattern, should both sides have similar opportunities ... one side shouldn't overwhelmingly have an advantage over the other side. Dunno if I'm making sense. Maybe this lends to the conclusion that block patterns should be sorta symmetrical?
          Last edited by Sufficient; 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Magi ... is there a map editor that can copy chunks of blocks and paste them? I'm using CLE right now and it's really tedious drawing out each and every block.

Send me whatever you use since I tried dling some other editor on ssdls.com but the zip was bad or something. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X