No announcement yet.

Do we need more mmr hosts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the rest of this.... Im not saying any candidate for staff must be willing to moderate public. It is an area of need but certainly not the only way to contribute to keeping TW running. What I am saying is that any candidate for staff absolutely must bring something to the table more than hosting this new feature that will be (I believe) automated in the not too distant future.

Qan generally keeps an eye on things but for the most part this zone is operated by its smods. Yes I am currently the one typing these repeating posts but generally speaking none of us act unilaterally. I mentioned Willby and Mark by name because I value their input but they (nor I) are not the only ones with a say in these matters.

My last time posting the same things so I'll close by saying one last time..... We (staff) are players just like the rest of you. Its the PLAYERS that keep this zone running. We need more players who are able and willing to help us thrive into 2023 and beyond. That means doing more than running MMR during its testing phase.
    1:wbm> i squint when im angry

Originally posted by mtine
    Yo LF, u'll never get me. Trust me, SUCK MY CUNT U MADAFAKING IDIOT!!! Cum at me bro. God, ur even worse than some fags irl's history. commit suicide since u aren't even worth 5 penises. CAN'T TOUCH DIS!!! Jeez man. ALL UR MOFOS THAT U RULE IN THIS GAME SHUD RLY SEE HOW UGLY U R IRL AND HOW DUMB AS WELL. Oh, 1 last thing: CAN'T TOUCH THIS ASS.

Comment

Oh well, we tried, we moof forward.

Good luck with that : )

Comment

Wouldn't having more MMR hosts free up the current staff to moderate pub and other areas?
        I hate to agree with river, but I can't see how having more volunteers is anything but a net-positive. Even with all its faults, MMR seems to increase zone activity, or at least provide an outlet for most of the players who would normally sit in spec during the week. While I'm appreciative of all of the work the current volunteers are putting in, I can definitely say there have been times where we are lacking a host with a player base online who are waiting for games to start. Not really sure how granting some of the willing and able members of our community powers to host would be such a detriment.

Asia Minor> see you sunday fuckers
        Asia Minor> maybe not
        Asia Minor> i hope you guys lose
        bloodzombie> I hope your mom fucks you while you sleep
        bloodzombie> every time you have a wet dream, it's really your mom fucking you
        bloodzombie> remmeber that next time
        bloodzombie> seriously

Comment

I think you could make a case for a dedicated MMR host position if they took the job seriously, like an ER from the days when TW events still existed in a meaningful form. There's definitely a precedent there.

The risk is that the staffer would come on, host MMR here and there, but otherwise not contribute much. They might also not feel they have much accountability. And there's real effort required any time someone's brought on, as well as a risk that they may abuse or represent staff poorly.

If someone is seriously interested, put in a staff app. When are you going to host? For how long? Make a solid commitment. If it's substantial enough that it seems like an equal contribution to other members of staff, it's easier to make a case that it would be worth the investment.

Bonus points if any of the following apply:

1) You're interested in helping with the development of MMR, providing feedback and feature suggestions, gauging community reaction and opinion, etc. — if beam's stepping back, this is something that is especially needed right now and provides real value — a sort of MMR testing "pointman";
          2) Have some ideas about leagues and want to help either plan or support future leagues work;
          3) You're interested in helping with moderation.

App: https://trenchwars.org/index.php?v=staffapplication

If you do put in an app, please also mention it to a member of the upper staff team or post in the thread.
          "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
          -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

The problem is beam stepped back becuase he didnt like the teams he ended up getting put on one night and blamed everyone he could think of as to why he loses a match. He like to throw the "you threw the match" at people who have bad games or arent at a high level of gameplay thus making anyone who has a bad game or is not that good feel like a pos. Toxicity is his game and its no good for anywhere in tw, and he lives for trolling and causing reactions in people that is not necessary for any type of game. Mmr has became inclusive and there are a few out there that would rather just stack teams and let the shitters watch in spec then give them the opportunity to get better at the game. This kind of attitude is cancer and always have been and is in no way positive for the game in any arena.

Comment

Originally posted by qan View Post
              I think you could make a case for a dedicated MMR host position if they took the job seriously, like an ER from the days when TW events still existed in a meaningful form. There's definitely a precedent there.

The risk is that the staffer would come on, host MMR here and there, but otherwise not contribute much. They might also not feel they have much accountability. And there's real effort required any time someone's brought on, as well as a risk that they may abuse or represent staff poorly.

If someone is seriously interested, put in a staff app. When are you going to host? For how long? Make a solid commitment. If it's substantial enough that it seems like an equal contribution to other members of staff, it's easier to make a case that it would be worth the investment.

Bonus points if any of the following apply:

1) You're interested in helping with the development of MMR, providing feedback and feature suggestions, gauging community reaction and opinion, etc. — if beam's stepping back, this is something that is especially needed right now and provides real value — a sort of MMR testing "pointman";
              2) Have some ideas about leagues and want to help either plan or support future leagues work;
              3) You're interested in helping with moderation.

If you do put in an app, please also mention it to a member of the upper staff team or post in the thread.
              I just got a little burnt out from hosting like 6 hours every night. I'm back to hosting it again in more moderation.
              Jessup> saiyan and i had steamy cyber sex once

Streak Breaker Grizzly Beam

Don't Poke the Bear.

Comment

Why is this a risk? Why do people have to do a billion other things on staff just to host MMR, which is one of the only reasons anyone will log in now that leagues are over? Let people that want to monitor pub monitor it. Let people who want more responsibility do that. Let people who just want to hit a macro button or two to get an MMR game going when staff are all afk do that. I don't really see an issue here?

Besides, if you really think they will represent staff poorly, you haven't been paying attention to staff representing themselves poorly for 20 years now. I mean that's not really a great excuse. Just call them MMR hosts and that's it. If they screw up, get rid of them.
                RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by LF View Post
                  As for the rest of this.... Im not saying any candidate for staff must be willing to moderate public. It is an area of need but certainly not the only way to contribute to keeping TW running. What I am saying is that any candidate for staff absolutely must bring something to the table more than host
                  Why?

Its the PLAYERS that keep this zone running. We need more players who are able and willing to help us thrive into 2023 and beyond. That means doing more than running MMR during its testing phase.
                  What you need is players to keep logging into the game, otherwise there are no players. When people log in on a weeknight and there are literally 0 hosts online for MMR and everyone just logs off because of it, what exactly is this doing to help things thrive in the future? MMR is legitimately the only reason most people log in besides leagues. I can't believe you'd not understand this.
                  RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                    What you need is players to keep logging into the game, otherwise there are no players. When people log in on a weeknight and there are literally 0 hosts online for MMR and everyone just logs off because of it, what exactly is this doing to help things thrive in the future? MMR is legitimately the only reason most people log in besides leagues.
                    I belief dis was da response by LF

We've run into an issue lately that when MMR is being hosted, the rest of the zone has been neglected. I'm fully aware that nobody wants to "babysit" full grown adults, but public is still the busiest arena we have and requires the most attention in terms of staff.
                    Last edited by Riverside; 12-21-2022, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I'm willing to be a host. I bring a lot to the table. Personality, Charm, Charisma, Humor : o )
                      4:BigKing> xD
                      4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                      4:BigKing> what did i do???
                      4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                      4:BigKing> ???? why though
                      4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                      4:BigKing> xD

Comment

In response to some of the posts above, the old points still stand. Bringing someone onto staff takes resources. It's not just adding someone to the staff list and saying "go". The abuse risk/behavior is also there if the staffers feel they have very little to lose.

Again, we're totally open to just about any proposal if someone wants to host MMR. But at the moment, the bar is higher than "hosting MMR whenever you feel like it". There's no reason a person's duties couldn't be purely MMR, but they'd need to commit. When do they plan to do it? How many days a week? Would they be willing to provide feedback in order to push forward development? We're looking for people who are interested in being part of staff, not just occasionally hosting MMR. If this is you, please put in an app. We'll automatically receive a notification if you do: https://trenchwars.org/index.php?v=staffapplication

If this isn't something people want to commit to, automated matches are on the dev list and will come eventually.
                        "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

In response to some of the posts above, the old points still stand. Bringing someone onto staff takes resources. It's not just adding someone to the staff list and saying "go". The abuse risk/behavior is also there if the staffers feel they have very little to lose.

Again, we're totally open to just about any proposal if someone wants to host MMR. But at the moment, the bar is higher than "hosting MMR whenever you feel like it". There's no reason a person's duties couldn't be purely MMR, but they'd need to commit. When do they plan to do it? How many days a week? Would they be willing to provide feedback in order to push forward development? We're looking for people who are interested in being part of staff, not just occasionally hosting MMR. If this is you, please put in an app. We'll automatically receive a notification if you do: https://trenchwars.org/index.php?v=staffapplication

If this isn't something people want to commit to, automated matches are on the dev list and will come eventually.
                          I guess if that's the dealbreaker than there's not much else to say, but at least in my personal opinion, it's a bit shortsighted. Pub should have people who play it focusing there, while other parts of the zone should have specific people who focus there. I don't see it any different than someone running TWL or TWDT leagues. Are TWL hosts really out there screwing with pub calls about the latest racist incident just so they can be given the permission to focus their real attention to what they care about (TWL)? If so, that's kind of suboptimal.

The equivalent would be like if suddenly everyone told you that instead of coding and doing all the things you do, you should instead have to host Pictionary 1000 times a month and silence the latest schitzo off their meds in pub everyday before you're allowed to code or have bot access.
                          RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

I think you may have missed some of that post. The idea is: they need to do something beyond possessing powers to start MMR and occasionally starting it in order to justify the overhead. Commit to something. It doesn't have to be monitoring pub.

Comment

haf put in an app

Comment

I have sent my application for MMR hosting.

Comment

Working...
                                X