MMR - Too much of a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMR - Too much of a good thing?

Not trying to make a popular post here, just my own observations and keep it concise. I understand 90% of the people that read this will fall into the bracket of the main playerbase that enjoys MMR and would like it to just continue as-is, but I'm trying to look at the big picture.

New Player Experience
    MMR has been great for the active community, particulary those from the American timezones. However, I'm not seeing how good it is for any emerging players like CZ350, David__kobra and so on. They get thrown in to begin with a relatively high elo, when 3000 is pretty much an 'average' player now, and 1500-2000 is more of an entry-level to low-end player. So when new players try the mode out, they're expected to pull the weight of someone who can at least go 8-10 or 10-10, and invariably their team gets smashed because they're a man down.

After being smashed for about 10 rounds in a row, if they're still playing, they then finally get matched to where their rating is.

qan - Now that MMR is 'established' and ratings have pretty much settled, can you lower the new players down to a 2k entry rating ?

Effect on TWD
    TWD is now dead, and only serves as a method to provide captains for largely borrowed teams for basing. There is no incentive to play TWD any more, and TWD was the main funnel for newer players into lower-ranking squads to learn competitive play against other lower-ranked squads. In MMR, the lower-skilled players are spread between teams and are just generally shat on for being non-contributive.

Squads (communities)
    With no reason to play TWD, squads are largely pointless now outside TWL, and losing the squads means the community aspect of gaming is harmed.

Suggestions

1. Scheduling
    In order to keep TWD alive, and I'd hope most would agree that TWD is a generally a good thing, I think MMR might be best to be limited or scheduled to certain, pre-determined timeslots. There could be a calendar where MMR occurrs, where Jav or WB gets played between certain hours and hosts would be available to cover this schedule. Once the schedule is completed, MMR is closed until the following day, allowing more opportunity for games of Base to naturally evolve, and other game types - tourny, zombies and so on. It would also provide a window where competitive players in the WB/Jav seen can look to arrange and play TWD games, and diversify out into basing without competing directly against their preferred gametype to do so.

Advertised scheduling also means you'll get people planning to play at less popular times than before, e.g. if Euros knew that at 9pm GMT there will be Javs hosted for 90 minutes, they'll log in for that. If they know that at 11.30pm GMT there'll be warbird, they'll log in for that. A lot of people's time is currently wasted waiting for a mode they want to play, or not even having hosts online, or just having 5-6 people online concurrently that'll play any mode of MMR, who sit in elim for 10-15 minutes, log out, then someone else logs in to take their place and there's this constant cycle of 'not quite enough' players to get MMR started.

2. If not scheduling, MMR Gatekeeping
    A more whacky idea would be to enable entry to MMR, you must be play X games of TWDD/TWDJ in the preceeding 7 days. Now, I know this sounds like work and I know people just want to log in and have fun, but building squads and building communities is also what this game has been about for over 20 years, and that aspect seems to be fading away. By playing TWD and encouraging players to recruit and maintain squads to do so, it'll naturally encourages those players who are so inclined to seek out and help newer players to create squads and create communities within them.

Now the impact here is that the less popular mode (TWDD) would likely not happen at all in MMR as people wouldn't be prepared to play the pre-req games to compete in MMR. However, if hosts follow through, and in those scheduled MMR TWDD hours NOTHING else is hosted, I'm sure people will be willing to give it a go.

Closing thoughts
    MMR is great for 90% of us, for those that have been here for years, that want a no-bullshit, no-politics robot picking teams as fairly as possible, so we can just play without having to think. But it's awful for new players and our communities within the game.

rip uk wb
    uk basing welcomes you to the afterlife.

Comment

Your ideas are good and speculations too but sadly none of this will ever come to fruition. Why? Because noone will take your ideas and materialize them. Haven't seen Biet do anything for the past few weeks, qan is always too busy to even log on during peak hours and TW Staff...yeah, right.

So many mistakes have been made during the years which lead to the decline of our playerbase. Even MMR and such ideas had a bad influence on the majority, as you stated, such as TWD or pub players. There would have to be a serious effort to make something work, but again, that probably won't happen.

My idea for you Kassius would be to do something about MMR scheduling during euro hours (that's when you mostly play) and see how it pans out. If it's good, keep it, if not, try something new. But don't tell people what should or shouldn't be done because, again, noone is going to do anything in this game. So JUST TRY OUT YOUR IDEAS with the help of the community and then move forward from there.

Comment

Those are some fantastic ideas. There's one or two things missing:

1) have you considered taking this idea and really running with it? like shove it up ur ass and see how it goes? You hear me...????? shove it up ur fat ass
        4:BigKing> xD
        4:Best> i'm leaving chat
        4:BigKing> what did i do???
        4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
        4:BigKing> ???? why though
        4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
        4:BigKing> xD

Comment

para i hope a tree grow u-p in ur ASS

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I begged and tried to come up with ways for years to place focus in TWD because it was pretty clear to me at least that without it, the game would dry up and die. It fell on deaf ears as focus was instead placed on making pub more competitive, adding flavor to arena's, hosting leagues and as of late; MMR.

Now the game is basically dead, far worse than it was a decade ago or whatever when I was trying to rally support for rebolstering TWD to give it meaning and for more focus to be placed on it. It's really not hard to understand its significance but I guess for some people it is.. TWD is the lifeblood of trenchwars. Plain and simple.The issue is and has been that the main people left running this game and can actually make changes don't play in TWD or in squad matches so their priority was never there. It was always in pub or QoL stuff, TWD was always the ugly stepchild. Hell, just look at the website and it being a -130 days or whatever lol They don't care. Never have.

Killing it off is just dooming an already doomed game. I really think that's the goal anymore with everything I've seen though. Nothing left but a bunch of cannibal boomers who eat their own and don't give a kuck about anyone or anything. There's a few good peeps left but not enough to tip the scales.

Think it's time to just take the game off life support and call it a day. There's literally no reason to play this game anymore aside from leagues and honestly it's always just the same 40-50 people who play anyways. MMR was a good idea but to completely neglect TWD was a huge mistake (but maybe not.) Subspace had a good run. I have no regrets walking away forever at this point.

GG's.

Comment

TWDT-J CHAMPION POWER 2018
              TWDT-B CHAMPION POWER 2018
              TWDT TRIPLE CROWN MEMBER POWER 2018
              TSL TRIPLE CROWN FINALIST 2018
              TSLD CHAMPION 2018
              TSLB CHAMPION 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Kassius View Post
                Not trying to make a popular post here, just my own observations and keep it concise. I understand 90% of the people that read this will fall into the bracket of the main player base that enjoys MMR and would like it to just continue as-is, but I'm trying to look at the big picture.
                I hate MMR because it killed TWD.

Originally posted by Kassius View Post
                Effect on TWD
                TWD is now dead, and only serves as a method to provide captains for largely borrowed teams for basing. There is no incentive to play TWD anymore, and TWD was the main funnel for newer players into lower-ranking squads to learn competitive play against other lower-ranked squads. In MMR, the lower-skilled players are spread between teams and are just generally shat on for being non-contributive.

Squads (communities)
                With no reason to play TWD, squads are largely pointless now outside TWL, and losing the squads means the community aspect of gaming is harmed.

Suggestions

1. Scheduling
                In order to keep TWD alive, and I'd hope most would agree that TWD is a generally a good thing, I think MMR might be best to be limited or scheduled to certain, pre-determined timeslots. There could be a calendar where MMR occurs, where Jav or WB gets played between certain hours and hosts would be available to cover this schedule. Once the schedule is completed, MMR is closed until the following day, allowing more opportunity for games of Base to naturally evolve, and other game types - tourney, zombies and so on. It would also provide a window where competitive players in the WB/Jav seen can look to arrange and play TWD games, and diversify out into basing without competing directly against their preferred game type to do so.

Advertised scheduling also means you'll get people planning to play at less popular times than before, e.g. if Euros knew that at 9pm GMT there will be Javs hosted for 90 minutes, they'll log in for that. If they know that at 11.30pm GMT there'll be warbird, they'll log in for that. A lot of people's time is currently wasted waiting for a mode they want to play, or not even having hosts online, or just having 5-6 people online concurrently that'll play any mode of MMR, who sit in elim for 10-15 minutes, log out, then someone else logs in to take their place and there's this constant cycle of 'not quite enough' players to get MMR started.

Closing thoughts
                MMR is great for 90% of us, for those that have been here for years, that want a no-bullshit, no-politics robot picking teams as fairly as possible, so we can just play without having to think. But it's awful for new players and our communities within the game.
                Yes, a schedule would be great so people know when to login to play what they like. Mosty players are adults with limited time so a schedule would be awesome so we don't waste time.

Originally posted by Grasps
                I begged and tried to come up with ways for years to place focus in TWD because it was pretty clear to me at least that without it, the game would dry up and die. It fell on deaf ears as focus was instead placed on making pub more competitive, adding flavor to arena's, hosting leagues and as of late; MMR.

Now the game is basically dead, far worse than it was a decade ago or whatever when I was trying to rally support for rebolstering TWD to give it meaning and for more focus to be placed on it. It's really not hard to understand its significance but I guess for some people it is.. TWD is the lifeblood of trenchwars. Plain and simple.
                The game usually slows down a bit after a league, but TWD and basing is basically dead now with MMR.

I can't spend more time on Sundays in TWDT other than basing so no, I am not going to learn to jav or wb, too much time wasted.

Make a fuckin' schedule to save the game or seriously it will die without TWD and squads. Like they said squads are the backbone of the game and MMR is killing squads, TWD, and basing.

No change = R.I.P. Trenchwars
                Best> not gunna lie i thought jackie was a hot chick so i picked her in FA and found out it was a dude

Comment

Hey Kassius... how are you? I agree with most of what you said but i just dont think it a reality.. if i understood correctly, you are suggesting to lower the time block of mmr ? i think this is just tryout and will learn from this how to proceed further. btw i do think and feel that bringing twd back will really change things. not sure how to do that. hope my newish opinion aint too far off. Good day and Gd bless! one mor thing i hosted afew events at mmr and we getting more players from pub with no experience and it does destroy the teams i have noticed that,. need to figure outa way to fix this.

Comment

Working...
                  X