Basing Rethought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basing Rethought

Was thinking awhile ago about an idea for massive changes to how we play competetive basing now that I think might be alot of fun to implement in the future. I'm not sure if anyone's ever suggested it before or if it's too much work to even bother with, but I thought I'd open it up for discussion.

The plan would be to eliminate bot controlled ship changes. Let players individually change ships at will the same as you can in pub. Obviously you'd need a bot monitoring that teams only had 1 terrier, 2 sharks, and no levis, (or maybe let the levi in, it might be interesting used in 8v8 basing). If anyone violated this they could perhaps be changed back to what they were before, or specced for a few seconds as a penalty. Anyhow, other than that the shipchanges would be in the hands of the players.

The goal would be to open a whole new level of teamwork and strategy. You'd have piles and piles more room to work out different strats for different points and situations in a game, and would have to have players you could trust to do what's most useful at any given point in time. Basing as we know it would be pretty well rewritten, and would show alot more variety and excitement in games. Drop a couple wb's into the game when you take control. Switch to spids on offence. Use some javs for heavy bombing of crams. Cloak anytime you think you can get away with it. (on that line of thought I'd love to see those pub mini cloakers in competetive basing arenas, send an x up to roof to steal flag when youre getting crammed to death to disrupt their terr a little, but that's a suggestion for another day)

Some flaws I could see would be 5 wb's floating in spawn after a td, which could seriously suck. Other than that I haven't come up with anything else bad yet, nor do I see any reason why I'd personally prefer the current style of basing. I'm guessing that the bot code needed to implement this would probably be simpler than what we have now, just need intermittent checks on the number of ships of each type in play, or events triggered when a ship change is detected, if that's even possible. Start of game would be interesting, perhaps bot interaction would be required to put players into the game. Come to think of it the arena lock probably prevents players from changing ships, so perhaps bot interaction would still be required for every ship change, but the players themselves could still do that interacting and with a good set of macros it'd be a very uncomplicated process.

Questions problems or comments? Any reason you prefer the current style of basing over something like this? If there's enough interest and I can get tw staff to agree I'll code that shit up and maybe we could give it a test run in go base or something. Critiques are welcome, but you're wrong if you disagree.

interesting ideas arro, go back to bush league

Comment

Javs would be able to kill all crams, and probably take out the terr. It would be too easy.. Maybe a restriction on the amount of javs?
      MusLimStuDiO1> Italian girls are hot
      Jesus = Terrorist> Yeah, even with their hairy mustaches.

MusLimStuDiO1> So aren't all animals technically nude???
      Skeptical> No you may not rape them.
      MusLimStuDiO1> LoL.. DamN

Comment

I find competitive basing as it is at the moment well... just dull. Less interesting, and in ?go base quite often less competative than pub. This kind of thing sounds much better and I expect it would get more people interested in serious basing.

Comment

Originally posted by MusLimStuDiO1
          Javs would be able to kill all crams, and probably take out the terr. It would be too easy.. Maybe a restriction on the amount of javs?
          A new way to make crams fall apart only makes this sound sweeter to my ears.
          Last edited by arrogance; 04-23-2004, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I would play it. Like competitive pub.
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

I dont think changing it to twbd/twlb would be the best idea...but maybe a

?go hybridbase or something...where you still have captains they pick the players, and the players choose their own ships...might be interesting to try...but it would be like all other hosted base games...

Comment

I personally think it sounds neat.
                If GuanoBot in Pure pub would have the time race stuff from ?go base, and at the end of a game simply warp all players back to the general spawning area.. no captains, no picking.. etc there is where things could start, really showing tactics and getting used to the gameplay higher up the ladder.
                Pure Pub->?go base->twd->twl
                Never having played in a single twbd or twlb, I can't give an opinion on what it would be like in league play, but you are right in the respect that it would allow a much wider shifting strategy set. The downside to my mind, is the ease of which people could whip out any counter to any strategy immediately, and it would turn into some nasty bloody situations. As a compromise, rather than every ship being able to shipchange as much as they want.. you could designate 2 slots.. 2 players.. that would be able to shipchange as they need... which means you would be able to break out whatever artillery you need for a situation, without being able to totally go balls to the wall and stomp any strategy with its counter. Think of them as sort of the wildcard slots on a team.. and would really make a place for a new type of player.. someone that is above average to good in multiple ships.. rather than -super- good at one type.
                "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Very good idea Sarien. Implementing the timer in go base, no caps etc, would drastically increase the number of basers, while getting rid of some of those pesky warbirds that sit in spawn zone and just lame, more people would be the in the base, so theyd base, increasing the number of basers in general, adding more twbd teams, and making a better competition to the twl season, next year. I think some sort of incentive for people to base would be needed like a 1000-10000 point increase for the winning team...But very good idea, id personally love to see this implemented.(the coding of guanobot...would be just implementing time, so wouldnt really need be more than adding a time race, without a spec lock option)

Comment

Originally posted by MusLimStuDiO1
                    6 reps, 5 javs. Yeah, I know repping is not that simple, but I think javving a cram to death would be harder than you think.
                    Last edited by Verthanthi; 04-23-2004, 02:36 PM. Reason: Pronouns suck

Comment

I can't take credit for the idea, I read it in a post by Stabwound, I thought it was a great idea at the time, and still do. It'd be great to have just game after game, and it would really get people started with getting used to some organization, and hopefully prepped to move further up the ladder of organized basing games, rather than just pop in.. and see how many people you can kill. Gives the entire arena a defined objective.
                      "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Interesting idea. Sounds pretty chaotic though. I would want a greater penalty for a ship changes though- like you can't ship change in game but you have to spec, wait 15 seconds, and come back as a different ship.

Comment

Actually with the realization that an arena lock probably means the player can't really just change ships but will have to fire off a command to the bot, there wouldn't be any issue of a team exceeding their quota of a given ship because the bot wouldn't complete the change in the first place.

Comment

It sounds like an interesing idea arro, and sarien ur comments would also make it better I think.

A problem that I could forsee is people changing to ships that they are no good at or are not needed in and refusing to change to something else, thus hurting the team and the overall outcome of the game.

Comment

I thought about that too....just play the ship you want...in agreement with rest of the squad ofcourse...but it should be possible to just random shipchange...
                              I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal...

Comment

Working...
                              X