X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grasps
    replied
    Originally posted by death row View Post
    Interesting debate. I come from the era 1280x1024 and it just felt good knowing everyone had to be on the same resolution.

Can we procure screenshots of 1920x1080 vs the 4K res? It would be interesting to see the difference and perhaps put it into perspective on why it is important to be consistent with resolution limits.
    I am with you on this. I started playing competitively in trenchwars back in 2007'ish and at least we all were on the same resolutions...well I was actually under res 800x600 because I was too poor to get a monitor that could produce 1080x1024 or whatever the standard was lool. I finally got a good monitor in like 08 or 09.. can't remember xD

Leave a comment:

• death row
    replied
    Interesting debate. I come from the era 1280x1024 and it just felt good knowing everyone had to be on the same resolution.

Can we procure screenshots of 1920x1080 vs the 4K res? It would be interesting to see the difference and perhaps put it into perspective on why it is important to be consistent with resolution limits.

Leave a comment:

• Best
    replied
    Yes, please ban it... it's very true, players want to abuse using cheat res just for TWD games, when TWL/TWDT comes around they have no idea how to adapt and fold when it's time to perform like Hackysack, 2pacZ.. it's been a proven fact, for example look at 2pacZ who was on my TWDT team who got raped in TWDT going 2-10 the first 3 weeks, literally unplayable.. Another example is Hackysack who choked in TWLD because he was forced to switch res... We're doing these players a favor by actually banning this so they can get better...If they don't want to get better it's completely their fault and players like us shouldn't have to suffer by playing with ppl who act like they're good by cheating their resolution... brutal

Leave a comment:

• Grasps
    replied
    I don't understand how it became this way but the outlook of people on TWD is grim and rather defeatist. All I hear is TWD doesn't mean anything or TWD game are pointless. Well how can we fix this? Every proposed way to try to make TWD games actually mean something has been shot down. I mean wbduel/javduel have game stats just like TWD on their respective website, why can't we make TWD more competitive and leave people who want something 'accessible' to go to those arenas instead?

Leave a comment:

• BIET
    replied
    You all know we are talking about TWD here right? Kind of the pub variant of league games. I get that some people want it to be "great" again, but why can't it also be accessible to all? Every meaningful league has res limits in play for warbird, so it should be up to the player to pick a resolution that fits them. If they want to practice for league they are better off using a resolution that's legal in said league. If they just log on to play a few games in TWD to have fun and relax, they shouldn't be limited in their choice IMO. I haven't seen overwhelming evidence of players using "cheat" res' to be so much better than players who don't. OK, you might have to play against them a different way, but so do they. There are also some technical differences between using a low or high res that affect off screen bullets on your client that favor lower resolutions. One thing is for sure though, setting up a lower than native res on your monitor while playing full screen can be a big pain. So the bottom line is that it WOULD be nice to have consistent resolution limits across all leagues and modes, it isn't very realistic to force all players that do use a higher resolution to go through the trouble of setting it up. TWD is open to all, which should mean open to all settings as well (within reason).

Leave a comment:

• 2pac
    replied
    scrubador is fucking stupid saying "Also you are not taking into account that to play on 2560x1440 with new games on PC you'd need a EXPENSIVE ass graphics card."

you dumbass fucktard 1070 is sub $250 bucks now since 3070 is out.

Keep proving yourself why your a retard fixadoor your a trash ass player with no skill or intelligence and your shit squad synth scrubs justifies that.

Keep the res limits capped at 2K aka 1440p

MAJORITY OF STEAM PLAYERS NOW PLAY ON WIDE SCREENS YA FUCKING INBRED!

YOU CAN GET 1440P MONITORS FOR CHEAP NOW ITS 2021 WELCOME FUCKTARD

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    1. You asked for a valid argument not to have a limit. So I gave you one. I'm not fighting you, I'm just giving you what you asked for. I thought it was good you wanted to understand the opposing point of view. It also helps people vote by seeing both sides of the argument to decide how to vote, and to understand the consequences of imposing limits. Think of it like instead of saying "we want a res limit because higher is cheating" u can say "we want a res limit for fairness, understanding that 10%+ of the playerbase may have to change their settings as a result". The first reply in this thread is me saying on balance I agree with having the arenas be consistent lol.

2. Dunno why you keep talking about 4K being a problem, I agree 4K is kinda dumb and I'm not advocating it. I'm talking about 1440p, which is not 4K, and is what gamers buy. 1440p is also what a lot of people buy to use for work just coz they want more space for stuff. E.g. I wouldn't want to write software on 1080p now I've had 1440p for ages.

3. I'm playing in a 1200 window because of nvidia driver issues, not by choice, this just happens to be the res that performs best for me in competitive basing at this time. Unfortunately nvidia changed their driver to behave this way because it's good for newer games to enforce a framerate limit slightly below the monitor's refresh rate when gsync is enabled, unfortunately that's crap for old games like ss with extremely high frame rates. more info: https://forums.trenchwars.com/suppor...56#post1332856
    While I played 1440p full screen I was regularly going into arenas and finding there was a res limit and I couldn't play, so it's also kinda nice not to have to deal with that anymore. I think of it as working around a mixture of arenas where people have imposed a limit for a reason and arenas where there's some 20 year old limit nobody even knew about.

Leave a comment:

• Grasps
    replied
    Originally posted by Rab View Post
    Yes, so?

Why would I search for a budget monitor? I don't want a budget monitor. I have a job.

People don't buy monitors just for subspace - they buy monitors for all their needs. Other games, work, productivity, web browsing, whatever they use their pc for. I have considered buying a 1080p monitor just for subspace before, but the subspace window only opens on your primary monitor so that only works if you're willing to use 1080p as your primary monitor, which I'm not.
    1. Why are you fighting this when you NEVER play warbird? This change is for TWDD. Not TWBD. Not TWJD. Not ELIM. Why do you give a shit? lol

2. I don't think anyone who isn't a gamer is going to type into search "Best gaming monitors of 2020". They are going to type "Best affordable monitors of 2020" which will show them 1080p. 4K monitors still require powerful hardware even if you are just watching netflix at 4K. You can get away with a 4K ready CPU but again, those aren't the norm from people who buy computers at Walmart, Dell.com or Costco. Bottom line, 1080p is still the norm for average consumers. Glad you have a job though and can afford buying 4K monitors for trivial things like spreadsheets and youtube. Congrats

PS: Are trolling me bro? lol

You are playing at 1200p in base.

Problem we have is guys like 2pack play at 1600p or Hackysack at 4K

This discussion has 0 to do with you. You don't use that high of res in TWDD and you never play in TWDD. I feel like you are trolling me. *sad face*

Last edited by Grasps; 11-18-2020, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasps View Post
    Surely you understand that if someone is looking for the BEST gaming monitor, they are probably aware that to use it they will need a buttload of money to get a GPU that supports it?
    Yes, so?

Why don't you do a search on the best budget monitors or best monitors for offices lol Hint: They won't be 4K.
    Why would I search for a budget monitor? I don't want a budget monitor. I have a job.

People who play 20 year old games aren't going to go out and buy a $300-1500 monitor for it that. And if they do then get miffed at the lack of support their old games have--welp, not sure what to say to that.
    People don't buy monitors just for subspace - they buy monitors for all their needs. Other games, work, productivity, web browsing, whatever they use their pc for. I have considered buying a 1080p monitor just for subspace before, but the subspace window only opens on your primary monitor so that only works if you're willing to use 1080p as your primary monitor, which I'm not.

Leave a comment:

• Grasps
    replied
    All I know is I don't want to play against people in ranked games (TWD/TWL/TWDT) that are using 4K. The 3 or so dudes that use it aren't good players, they just have an unfair advantage. That simple. We aren't netbanning these guys, they can still exploit res in other arenas. They just shouldn't be allowed to when the majority of us are using 1080p.

Leave a comment:

• Grasps
    replied
    Surely you can understand the difference between the existing stock of monitors and new monitors being purchased today, and how that means that over time more and more people will have higher than 1080p.
    Surely you understand that if someone is looking for the BEST gaming monitor, they are probably aware that to use it they will need a buttload of money to get a GPU that supports it? Why don't you do a search on the best budget monitors or best monitors for offices lol Hint: They won't be 4K.

People who play 20 year old games aren't going to go out and buy a $300-1500 monitor for it that. And if they do then get miffed at the lack of support their old games have--welp, not sure what to say to that.

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    Surely you can understand the difference between the existing stock of monitors and new monitors being purchased today, and how that means that over time more and more people will have higher than 1080p.

Leave a comment:

• Grasps
    replied
    Pick any review site and see what the best gaming monitors are. e.g. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...y-usage/gaming

Technically, you can play 1080p on a 1440p monitor, although it'll never look quite right as it's not the native resolution. But... the main point here is that the Continuum client doesn't do it reliably. Continuum and non-native resolutions do not mix.

The Steam stats aren't useful. They show what people worldwide currently use. Worldwide includes China, which includes all the people farming cosmetic items using 10 year old hardware so they can unlock a rare hat and sell it for enough money to feed their family for a week. A better source for what people currently use who play ss is the twd website, at one point I wrote an app to scrape all the resolution data from it to see what people actually use - so decisions like this can be based on data. Last time I scraped all the resolutions off the twd website (2019), the number of people playing higher than 1920x1200 was 9%. Note that doesn't include people who already play in a tiny window on their 1440p monitor.

Dunno why you're using the mismatch between your monitor and graphics card as a justification for other people not being able to use their correctly selected hardware. Nobody's saying ditch 1080p. Your opinion on the gpu market is not a reason to force other people to not be able to properly use their hardware.
    I play 1080p on a 4k television and it's more than fine. 4K is like taking a step backwards, fonts become smaller and you see more on the screen than you would with 1080p. With 1080p, things are more zoomed in--that's about it. It's not choppy or bad looking at all. Same with subspace, I can play it in 4K on my tv and can see nearly all of pub (never tried gaming with it more than pub). My ship is tiny and the text is barely legible. (though I was sitting 8 ft away on my sofa) When I put on 1080p, everything looks fine and I can actually see text.

I'll agree with you on maybe Continuum acting weird when you downgrade from your native res. I've tried to drop it down to 720p to play more "oldschool" and it looks weird and has dead space on each side of the monitor.

"Worldwide includes China, which includes all the people farming cosmetic items using 10 year old hardware so they can unlock a rare hat and sell it for enough money to feed their family for a week."-Rab

As for Steam's player base, only 11% of them are from China. In comparison to my country, the United States, we account for 14.43%. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...bution-country.

"Dunno why you're using the mismatch between your monitor and graphics card as a justification for other people not being able to use their correctly selected hardware. Nobody's saying ditch 1080p. Your opinion on the gpu market is not a reason to force other people to not be able to properly use their hardware."-Rab

It's called market trends and consumer demand. Until the supply of more powerful cpu's and gpu's become the standard for entry level computers that can reliable allow people to play and run videos at 4k comfortably (above 30fps) and more importantly affordably--support for 1080p isn't going anywhere which you basically said already happened if someone bought a monitor in 2020.

And again, why are you fighting this when you never get into this arena?

PS: Also interesting you claim china players are using 10 year old hardware when nearly 90% of steam's population is on Window's 10 (which doesn't support 10 year old hardware lol)
    Last edited by Grasps; 11-18-2020, 01:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rab
    replied
    Pick any review site and see what the best gaming monitors are. e.g. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...y-usage/gaming

Technically, you can play 1080p on a 1440p monitor, although it'll never look quite right as it's not the native resolution. But... the main point here is that the Continuum client doesn't do it reliably. Continuum and non-native resolutions do not mix.

The Steam stats aren't useful. They show what people worldwide currently use. Worldwide includes China, which includes all the people farming cosmetic items using 10 year old hardware so they can unlock a rare hat and sell it for enough money to feed their family for a week. A better source for what people currently use who play ss is the twd website, at one point I wrote an app to scrape all the resolution data from it to see what people actually use - so decisions like this can be based on data. Last time I scraped all the resolutions off the twd website (2019), the number of people playing higher than 1920x1200 was 9%. Note that doesn't include people who already play in a tiny window on their 1440p monitor.

Dunno why you're using the mismatch between your monitor and graphics card as a justification for other people not being able to use their correctly selected hardware. Nobody's saying ditch 1080p. Your opinion on the gpu market is not a reason to force other people to not be able to properly use their hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Grasps
    replied
    Well the argument against it is that if people buy a new monitor in 2020 it's quite likely to be 2560x1440.
    The game often fucks up if you try to play full screen at a non-native res, so you're basically forcing people to play in a window.
    Practicing full screen then competing windowed just means you'll be shit when you compete, so you have to play windowed all the time.
    Buying a nice new monitor then having to play in a tiny window because some nerd is butthurt about their 20 yr old poverty monitor is a really shit feeling.
    Can you provide proof that average monitors are now 2560x1440? Also can you provide proof they wouldn't support 1080p in 2020?

As of today looking at Steam's hardware statistics it shows that 65% of their 21 million concurrent users are playing games with 1080p.

Source for Steam's userbase according to Statista

Steam's current hardware & software statistics

Also you are not taking into account that to play on 2560x1440 with new games on PC you'd need a EXPENSIVE ass graphics card.

Players often will drop down the resolution to 1080p to play their favorite game because if they play it on a native resolution of say 4k with a shitty gpu, they get like 10fps. Monitor companies would shoot themselves in the foot if they abandoned 1080p support.

I do this for my 4k games when playing them on my 4K tv as my computer will drop me down to 25-50fps if I play them at 4K. When I flip it to 1080p on my tv (which was made in 2019 and supports 1080p), my fps jumps up to 120-140 (but my tv only supports 90fps so I can't see the benefit past 90)

I don't see graphics cards, game developers or monitor companies ditching 1080p anytime soon until at LEAST graphics card prices come down so entry level cards can run native 1440p (2560x1440) at 60fps on medium/high settings costing like $70-150 where as right now to get 60fps at 1440p your'e looking at at LEAST $400-600.

In short, 1080p is going to be here for a while longer,

Again, I don't know about you guys but I don't want to play TWD games against guys using 4K resolution when I am trying to practice for leagues that use 1080p. I think it's more than fair to have resolution limits on twdd.

Also, Rab.. you are not a warbird bro.. I wouldn't go into a thread about res limits for javelin when I am not a javelin. Why are you here? lol

Last edited by Grasps; 11-18-2020, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X