The 'randomness' factor of basing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'randomness' factor of basing

As you all might or might not realize, basing has a lot of luck and chance in it. There are a few random things that could really change the outcome of the game.

First of all, the fact that greens give random prizes. Let's say a terrier is trapped in a flagroom corner near 2 enemy spiders. There is no chance of escape. Suddenly a team spider picks up a burst green, which in turn gives one to the terrier, and he bursts his way out of death. What if the same thing happened, but this time the spider only got a repel green? Terrier = dead. This could actually be changed with the help of the bots.

Another factor has to do with lag. Everyone that is playing in the game has their own version of it playing out on their computer. The Continuum game client keeps track of everything (bombs, mines, bursts etc) on each players computer. Because of lag, some players might see totally different things happening: for example, one group of players might see a repelled mine coming at them, but for some reason, the terrier player's game clients does not register this mine as being repelled, so he doesn't see anything going on except his team exploding around him and he's free to escape. This is partly do to lag, and I guess partly to do with the way Continuum works. This really can't be fixed without a big update to the game.

Then there is the subject of random bomb/mine shrapnel. In basing, when a bomb explodes, it shoots it's shrapnel in any random direction (which could also be right into the object it just blew up against, making it useless). This brings a big luck factor, because a lucky shark might kill the terrier by throwing a random bomb into a wall. It would be possible to give the bombs set shrapnel directions; for an example, check out the bomberman or baseelim sharks.

I'm not saying that these things should be changed; I'm just wondering everyone else thinks about all of this. I'm sure the game would be pretty stale if it was all static with no randomness, but you can only wonder how many games you've won/lost all because of a lucky green or lucky shrap TD because of that horseshoe stuck up your ass.

Do you think any of the random factors of basing should be changed?
    sdg

i dont think we should change any of those.. the random things make the game MORE fun and unpredictive... which makes it more exciting.. so i'm against changing the random thing
    9 TWL Titles - 5 TWLJ 3 TWLD 1 TWLB

4:Akuun> Did Neth tell u about his Sims game?
    4:Nimrook> No?
    4:Nethila> omfg.. i have babies with your girl in Sims!
    4:Nimrook> ooo.. well i understand Neth, it's not your fault that u cannot make real ones.. cause u were born like that.. i guess u will have to make babies in your Sims game
    4:Akuun> ROFL
    4:Akuun> Hahahahahaha
    4:Thundermare> Neth = owned
    4:Nimrook> lol

3:Zell> popped boners a couple of times, couldnt aim at the cue ball

Comment

As long as randomness affects everyone I don't see it as being that big a deal.

Comment

should eat your greens.

point 1 and 3 seem to go hand in hand sorta as shrap can be increased thus not making it as lucky
        violence> dont talk 2 me until u got 900+fbook friends and can take 1 dribble from the 3 point line n dunk

[Aug 23 03:03] Oops: 1:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life
        [Aug 23 03:20] money: LOL NOT QUITE VIO BUT 5:siaxis> you try thta ill play possom then reverse roundhouse kick your life

Comment

Precisely agreed with Nim and TK.
          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

"gl hf"
            Only the loyal count.

Comment

if there was to be something done I'd rather it be the greens. maybe take out the multi fire, cloak n' stealth (since the cloaks been rendered useless(fuck that by the way)) but don't regulate the shrap a la bomberman
              Originally posted by turmio
              jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
              Originally posted by grand
              I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
                First of all, the fact that greens give random prizes. Let's say a terrier is trapped in a flagroom corner near 2 enemy spiders. There is no chance of escape. Suddenly a team spider picks up a burst green, which in turn gives one to the terrier, and he bursts his way out of death. What if the same thing happened, but this time the spider only got a repel green? Terrier = dead. This could actually be changed with the help of the bots.

I don't know, but maybe removing burst and port greens might be a good idea. Instead you could have a bot giving out one of each at decided intervals, IE a burst every 30 seconds and a portal every 60 seconds.
                As for full charges for spiders and repels for sharks, I sort of like them. On one hand, yes they are random, but on the other hand I can't find a way to do it in any other way. Going for greens in spider is justthe way it's supposed to be done, it encourages an aggressive style of play in some situations. I don't really know about rep greens but they do come in handy every now and then, and are especially helpful to help breaking a cram.

Another factor has to do with lag. Everyone that is playing in the game has their own version of it playing out on their computer. The Continuum game client keeps track of everything (bombs, mines, bursts etc) on each players computer. Because of lag, some players might see totally different things happening: for example, one group of players might see a repelled mine coming at them, but for some reason, the terrier player's game clients does not register this mine as being repelled, so he doesn't see anything going on except his team exploding around him and he's free to escape. This is partly do to lag, and I guess partly to do with the way Continuum works. This really can't be fixed without a big update to the game.

This isn't a matter of luck IMO, it's a matter of knowing the game. For example, if you rep a mine so that it goes into the cram on your screen, you can be 100% sure that it will not do that on anyone else's screen. Tough luck and it would be nice if it wasn't like that but I have no problem with it.

Then there is the subject of random bomb/mine shrapnel. In basing, when a bomb explodes, it shoots it's shrapnel in any random direction (which could also be right into the object it just blew up against, making it useless). This brings a big luck factor, because a lucky shark might kill the terrier by throwing a random bomb into a wall. It would be possible to give the bombs set shrapnel directions; for an example, check out the bomberman or baseelim sharks.

I don't know about fixed directions for shark but at least I'd like to see the number of shraps constant. Well, maybe fixed directions wouldn't be that bad either, who knows since it hasn't been tested.

5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                5: Da1andonly> =((
                5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

I like the randomness of base... no game plays out according to plan and you have some of those cool moments with the bursts or mine shrap. I do, for one, want to be able to do the mini weasel in ?go base again, tho. I liked making random terriers blow up in a flash of light .. randomly.
                  DELETED

Comment

Keep basing as it is now
                    Erathia> IF YOU SPIDERS CONTINUE CAMPING I WILL BAN YOU AND CALL IT RACISM

SeRtIfi> What's the point of going out with friends everyday just to hang out when I meet them in school and sometimes on weekends anyways, if I can play in SubSpace with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeansi
                      I don't know, but maybe removing burst and port greens might be a good idea. Instead you could have a bot giving out one of each at decided intervals, IE a burst every 30 seconds and a portal every 60 seconds.
                      Giving bursts at same times like that would be stupid imo.. Better would be to get MORE bursts and portals from greens. This could (could it?) make flagroom battles longer and match would be more fun.
                      lemar> im seriously gonna get someone to hack your name and disolve that shit sqd of yours

Comment

just remove the energy deplet green.. that one is sooooo annoying, esp when you were tryin to hunt down a terr... you pick up a green, hoping its full charge.. but noo.. its an energy deplet!!
                        1 + 1 = 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zizzo
                          Giving bursts at same times like that would be stupid imo.. Better would be to get MORE bursts and portals from greens. This could (could it?) make flagroom battles longer and match would be more fun.
                          Flagroom full of bursts. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
                          megaman89> tsunami taught me that 1 shouldnt have used it
                          L K> taught u what?
                          megaman89> how to suck

9:WiL> im gonna with my league \o/
                          9:Graner <ZH>> you mean win?
                          9:WiL> being on plade i forgot how to spell it

Comment

Originally posted by tahkis
                            Flagroom full of bursts. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
                            yeah, like in #secretbase with bot
                            lemar> im seriously gonna get someone to hack your name and disolve that shit sqd of yours

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
                              As you all might or might not realize, basing has a lot of luck and chance in it. There are a few random things that could really change the outcome of the game. Do you think any of the random factors of basing should be changed?

I don't particularly mind these things myself, but what alternatives do you suggest?

Would you rather the terr couldn't get prized bursts/fcs/ports? Or would you rather sharks couldnt get prized repels? What else would you suggest?

People lag, I think it's impossible to fix this. Only solution I see is to have stricter lag limits in twd/twl.

Experienced sharks will double rep, this randomness is there to catch out newbs and I think it should be left like it is.

I'm not saying that these things should be changed; I'm just wondering everyone else thinks about all of this. I'm sure the game would be pretty stale if it was all static with no randomness, but you can only wonder how many games you've won/lost all because of a lucky green or lucky shrap TD because of that horseshoe stuck up your ass.

I think the main factor is the length of games. A race to 15 mins imo means a lesser team has a chance to win. I think 30 mins would give us a more accurate picture of which team is better.
                              1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X