A simple plea for TWSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple plea for TWSD

SD as it is now is a failure of a division. I think it's a great idea and has a lot of potential to be fun. I don't think it will spread zone activity thin, and I think if anything it might bring some new players/squads/competition to TWD.

It's obviously too late to try and get it in this year's TWL, but it's not too late to make it playable.

SD doesn't get played mostly because of two reasons:

1) Random damage
    2) Bad map

Though I don't think I should need to, I will explain why: In a giant map where the spawn area is equal to ANYWHERE on the map, a game that requires lots of teaming is left more up to luck. Since random damage makes it somewhat more up to luck whether you live or die, and then it's up to luck as to whether you can get to your team or not, so EVERYONE HATES IT.

There is a perfectly decent sd map sitting now, on the TW server, under ?go twsdx. I had a friend from dev check it and it doesn't have random damage (BulletDamageLevel=520 ExactDamage=1 [exactdamage = Min/Max 0:1:If damage is to be random or not (1=exact, 0=random)]). Even if you don't think this map is perfect, it's still better than the hardly ususable behemoth that is up right now.

The other issues (e.g. changing team deaths, which personally I think should stay the same) can be dealt with later, right now it just needs those two things fixed and it will at least be playable. And perhaps, with this step in the right direction, more interest can be gathered, the rest of it can be fine-tuned, and we can have a TWLS next year.

My understanding is that this will take three seconds to change. I know you are busy with TWL, but not everyone is working on that. I'd like to see this new map and no random damage at least tested. All you have to do is put in the maps and change the bots' !warpto commands, right?
    afksry

i know my opinion doesn't count seeing as my twd record is as barren as PH's little black book, but seriously, this shit was annoying even when i did play
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Trust me, a new map is in development along with the fixes mentioned in Ignominy's post.
      DELETED

Comment

igno for staff
        Originally posted by Tyson
        There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
        Originally posted by HeavenSent
        Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
        Originally posted by Izor
        Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
          i know my opinion doesn't count seeing as my twd record is as barren as PH's little black book, but seriously, this shit was annoying even when i did play
          I read this as "as barren as PH's back" in haste and I know that just isn't the case.

Comment

As I understand it, new coords requires a change in the twd rule definition file for spids

and IGGY POP FOR STAFF o/
            USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Dameon is there any way to get some sort of official time frame on this?

If it seems like it will be a while, then perhaps we could use ?go twsdx as a temporary fix?
              afksry

Comment

Wait until after TWL for an official time frame.
                DELETED

Comment

If you ask me, that sounds like a while.
                  afksry

Comment

I don't know if there's any other, but there's ?go twsdx

which is being developed when new bugs/things worth fixing are found.
                    3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
                    3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
                    3:i.d.> da fk is that?
                    3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
                    3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
                    3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
                    3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
                    3:Shadowmere> LOL
                    3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
                    Shadowmere> Rofl
                    Up in ya !> With his feet
                    Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
                    Up in ya !> l44t feet
                    Deft> l44t f44t*
                    Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
                    Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

Originally posted by Ignominy View Post
                      SD as it is now is a failure of a division. I think it's a great idea and has a lot of potential to be fun. I don't think it will spread zone activity thin, and I think if anything it might bring some new players/squads/competition to TWD.

It's obviously too late to try and get it in this year's TWL, but it's not too late to make it playable.

SD doesn't get played mostly because of two reasons:

1) Random damage
                      2) Bad map

Though I don't think I should need to, I will explain why: In a giant map where the spawn area is equal to ANYWHERE on the map, a game that requires lots of teaming is left more up to luck. Since random damage makes it somewhat more up to luck whether you live or die, and then it's up to luck as to whether you can get to your team or not, so EVERYONE HATES IT.

There is a perfectly decent sd map sitting now, on the TW server, under ?go twsdx. I had a friend from dev check it and it doesn't have random damage (BulletDamageLevel=520 ExactDamage=1 [exactdamage = Min/Max 0:1:If damage is to be random or not (1=exact, 0=random)]). Even if you don't think this map is perfect, it's still better than the hardly ususable behemoth that is up right now.

The other issues (e.g. changing team deaths, which personally I think should stay the same) can be dealt with later, right now it just needs those two things fixed and it will at least be playable. And perhaps, with this step in the right direction, more interest can be gathered, the rest of it can be fine-tuned, and we can have a TWLS next year.

My understanding is that this will take three seconds to change. I know you are busy with TWL, but not everyone is working on that. I'd like to see this new map and no random damage at least tested. All you have to do is put in the maps and change the bots' !warpto commands, right?
                      RiiStar, Maverick, Dameon Angell, Sertifi, and a few others escaping my memory right now have been helping with this. We've been working on TWSD behind the scenes for quite awhile now, it's only recently (within the past 2 weeks) fell on the back burner, so to speak, because TWL is coming up. I want to launch the new TWSD when TWL is over with the new settings we've been discussing because I have high hopes for TWSD, with the new settings/map, but I want to make sure that it's given time and attention, if it were to be released right now I'm not sure that it would considering TWL is starting so soon. Additionally, people that were helping with map settings or coding the bot are busy with TWL or other things that need to be fixed asap.

As of right now, the things we're hoping to have implemented in the final version are this:
                      • 1 non-stationary (moves with whomever picked it up first) flag
                      • transferable flag upon-death
                      • points awarded for the team holding the flag
                      • more than normal amount of points awarded per kill by the flag carrier
                      • normal points awarded per kill by non-flag carrier
                      • non-random damage
                      • Implementation of Brick's into the game play allowing for temporary fortified movable bases

The brick's will be balanced somehow, we'll either allow for many bricks per game with a very short life, or 1 brick per game with a long life. Some of the changes are more drastic than what most people expected but we've discussed all of the new elements extensively and believe at the very least that it deserves a chance. If it doesn't work out, we'll switch back to a more conservative change with a nice new map, non-random damage and pretty much the same TWSD. As always, if you have suggestions feel free to let us know, though we are planning to at least give the above mentioned settings a try.
                      1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                      3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                      3:Best> see it coming
                      3:Best> sad

Comment

Reaver this sounds really good, and like it has lots of potential to be very well crafted. I now understand why, with something with as many new (to TWD) concepts as this, you'd want to wait until after TWL so it gets the attention it deserves. Knowing this, I'm willing to be patient.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear TWSD is not being left to rot. I hope everything turns out as good as you envision.
                        afksry

Comment

Originally posted by Ignominy View Post
                          Reaver this sounds really good, and like it has lots of potential to be very well crafted. I now understand why, with something with as many new (to TWD) concepts as this, you'd want to wait until after TWL so it gets the attention it deserves. Knowing this, I'm willing to be patient.

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear TWSD is not being left to rot. I hope everything turns out as good as you envision.
                          TWSD was never left to rot =)

However at first when it came, there were only few squads interested on playing it. For the playing teams, it took ages to give out information to TWDev and TWD Ops what was wrong about it. However, when feedback was given, steps were taken immediately. There was quite a few ideas from around TW, staff, TWDev and other players. From those ideas, few were taken into consideration and afterwards modified.

The TWSDx map was in Trench Wars for a while before Reaver, Weaver, F22 Raptor and few others had time to look into it together with other developers. Only reason it took some time to react and fix TWSD was because there were a lot of things to do that exceeded the importance of TWSD like currently TWL is doing.

I believe the TWSD developers that were mentioned in my and Reaver's post are still willing to take ideas to improve TWSD, to make it so that more squads would play it.

I hope it'll become a success and can be brought up asap after TWL.

Maybe we can have a successful TWLS someday aswell
                          3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
                          3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
                          3:i.d.> da fk is that?
                          3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
                          3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
                          3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
                          3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
                          3:Shadowmere> LOL
                          3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
                          Shadowmere> Rofl
                          Up in ya !> With his feet
                          Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
                          Up in ya !> l44t feet
                          Deft> l44t f44t*
                          Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
                          Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

I was wondering when Reaver was gonna come in and tell them what was new about it. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to give that up yet, lol.
                            DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by Mantra-Slider View Post
                              igno for staff
                              agreed

Comment

Working...
                              X