Worth a Shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Witness View Post
    ok i get what you are saying, and on principle i like it. But in a purely competitive atmosphere, like post reset twd (all supposedly trying to make TWL), there just isn't room for a "friendly" game between say 3 wbs and 2 javs on that team. I'd like to play w/o consequence too, but I think that's where we need A LOT more activitiy in wbduel, javduel and probably base too. I love to play dds jds and such when they're not so important, and that's why i like being on a less competitive squad. It's kinda like you can't have it both ways.

I agree with your message, but I think that this isn't going to help it, and that won't work. I would like the idea of being able to play a dd w/o it counting towards the TWD standings, which i think is more along the lines of what you were originally getting at: that you'd like to play in another league (jd, bd instead of dd) without hurting your squad because of it. However, as long as the TWD ladder is the method of choosing squads for TWL, it should remain as competitive as possible, and that's where I made those 2 points you alluded to.
    .fffffffff_____
    .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
    .ffffff|ff __fffff|
    .fffffff\______/
    .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
    .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
    .fffff\________/
    .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
    .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
    .fff\__________/

Comment

^^^^^

good way to write it all

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I understand your concerns dank, I just wish there was some way i could run a computer simulation and see how it would play out, but i dont know how i would do that. there's way to many variables, specially if a team did play there 3wbs 2 javs, heh. I'm sure it would end up really close to the same way as the ladder ranking are now tho(meaning the squads on top now would most likely still be the same squads on top, and lower squads would still be lower. would there be more games played tho? I'd have to say yes.
        Would more people play different twd games, its really hard to say, I would hope so,since this is what this is all geared for. If your on top you deserve to be on top no matter which way the cookie crumbles, and if you cant be the guys on top, you dont deserve to be on top, no matter how many points you can win in one game. I just dont think this would have the effect alot of people are thinking it will, but maybe im wrong, I just wish there was more concrete evidence that it would do what your saying , or do what im saying. Hence the title of this post, Worth a shot? is it worth a try in one of the offseason twd for a couple weeks. ionno but it was worth mentioning.
        Last edited by Witness; 06-19-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cops View Post
          The current system doesn't work because squads get 1200-1300 points and just sit as one of the top ranking TWLB teams until the cut off.

This is a little off topic, but I'd thought I'd throw out an idea about the problem you mentioned cops. I haven't put a second of thought into the consequences of the idea, but you could implement a point decay system, play or lose points

Comment

you have to do something so squads who have 8-12 on still base, like I said before a few days before the TWL cut off no one would base us.
            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

What you probably need to do is have a "random" approach to challenges. Squads that want to play would enter their squad into the bot. Every 15 minutes, the bot pulls out the squads that want to play and match them up to their closest rating partner. If it happens that many aren't playing, then a top squad could face a lower squad and the full points should still apply. It would be the fairest way of battling. That way, people will have to play more and risk more in order to get into TWL. Just my 2¢.

Comment

problem with that is that there's not enough squads especially in bd for that to work.
                it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

What if the league designated a few times a day that people should meet if they want to play? That way, there is a higher chance for success.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalKid View Post
                    What if the league designated a few times a day that people should meet if they want to play? That way, there is a higher chance for success.
                    thats why TWL has a schedule. are you proposing that we have scheduled games in twd too?

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I don't know if you want to go that far, but maybe once a week you could do something that would give bonuses to winning during that timeframe to make ppl want to play more?

Comment

eh i just think you should get a bigger reward for playing 5v5/ 7/8v7/8
                        TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

There's a ton of good ideas in this thread that I believe need further discussion:

Weaver's idea of a point decay system for squads that get points and sit on them.

Metalkid's idea of a random challenge along with the idea to have certain times during the day (and week?) where games are worth more points per matchup.

Jones idea of more points awarded for more people playing in the matchup (More points for a 5v5 dd than a 4v4 vs the same squad, same with basing, jav, etc).

Witness I don't know if I support your idea or not, I'm still thinking about all the pro's and con's.

Some additional changes I'd like to see, albeit small:

!challenge 1-10 (If you're in an open twd arena and you use the command it challenges the top 10 ranked twdd squads, and so forth)

Additional (A) spots awarded to squads that stay together longer.

More punishment for people that join and leave squads too frequently. (I don't know if there should be a punishment or if there should be a reward for those that don't hop. I think a reward is better because rewards in general are more effective than punishment.)
                          1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                          3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                          3:Best> see it coming
                          3:Best> sad

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver View Post
                            There's a ton of good ideas in this thread that I believe need further discussion
                            But assuming we can come to a consensus on what ideas are worth using, is there even anyone willing and able to implement any of these ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Static Burn View Post
                              But assuming we can come to a consensus on what ideas are worth using, is there even anyone willing and able to implement any of these ideas?
                              Yeah, I'm not volunteering anyone but I know there are people capable and willing, they're busy so it wouldn't be a change implemented overnight but the option is there.
                              1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
                              3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
                              3:Best> see it coming
                              3:Best> sad

Comment

I read these and i do agree that there are merits to the ideas, but yes we'd need to divulge into the depts to come up with whats good, whats not and think thoroughly about how we would use and implement these ideas.

Anything bot related is out of the question currently since no1 once again has access to RoboQueen which hosts twd's bots and is hosted next to tw's game server. Like the following...

Note: Points are calculated by the bots then inserted into tw's databases then displayed on the website...
                                Metalkid's idea of a random challenge along with the idea to have certain times during the day (and week?) where games are worth more points per matchup.

Jones idea of more points awarded for more people playing in the matchup (More points for a 5v5 dd than a 4v4 vs the same squad, same with basing, jav, etc).

!challenge 1-10 (If you're in an open twd arena and you use the command it challenges the top 10 ranked twdd squads, and so forth)
                                This is frustrating cos We're so close to having the new TWSD running its not funny, and a few other bots need an upgrade also.

Website stuff, can be done, but there's things that need doing currently that have a higher priority at this moment in time, like the long awaited patching/fixing of the TWL site (currently too hideous and too short a time frame to make a completely new one) which is what we're trying to do.

On a side note, a gallery is being worked on, its kind of working...
                                But the login system isn't what we had hoped it would be, since 900+ users/images have been migrated to it the big step is done.
                                Just need to look at implementing twd's login to it.
                                PubBot8> Going to 69 :greedy:

Jacklyn> I'll play with this clit thing later
                                Dr.Coiff> i've played with it

3:Mirror <ZH>> fly around and boom blow everyone up

Comment

Working...
                                X