• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TWL Playoff Structuring

Originally posted by THE PUSHER
    • TWLJ/D single elimination matches with a best of 5 games record to win
    • or, best of 3 games single elimination matches
    • Allow all teams into a multi week tournament, regular season is played for tourny seeding positions
    • Leave TWLB's playoffs in same form as last year, 3 20 minute rounds per match single elimination
    to clarify the first one: you mean win 3 of the rounds and u advance right? not some weird sum of the three rounds as in wins/loses? then thats cool. just make sure its single elimination or its not really a playoff.

tournaments are cool
    Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

keep the 3 * 20 minutes rounds.
      Originally posted by Tyson
      There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
      Originally posted by HeavenSent
      Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
      Originally posted by Izor
      Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

Here's what I want.

TWD determines seeding into TWL, so the TWD period (one month if I'm not mistaken) right before TWL will be a nice little preseason and quite the scramble for placement.

Sixteen squads should be chosen for each league and they will be placed into two divisions, seeded according to their placement in TWD, every other squad going in the same division. ie, 1st goes to the first divison, 2nd goes to the second division, 3rd goes to the first division, 4th goes to the second division, and so on. Teams will play two games with every team in their division and one game with every team outside of their division, resulting in a solid 25 week regular season.

The top eight squads from each division will be seeded into a playoff like so: 1st vs 8th - 4th vs 5th - 3rd vs 6th - 2nd vs 7th. and javelin leagues will play best three out of five and basing should be two thirty minute rounds with accumulitive scoring. I also like Guru's double elimination tourney idea. I'm not a fan of multi-round basing because it somewhat changes the dynamic of the game.

Regular season rules
        D/J: Best two out of three 20 minute rounds.
        B: One 30 minute round.
        I have stopped swimming in the rock pools a few days ago. Now instead of 40 minutes swimming, I substitute it with 40 minutes power walk - usually on the beaches or around the cliffs. Nothing beats burning the fat in the cold wind. Colon minus pee.

Comment

I like latrines ideas...except with the 1 round for basing
          Just make it 30 minutes best of 3 :X
          Originally posted by Tyson
          There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
          Originally posted by HeavenSent
          Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
          Originally posted by Izor
          Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mantra-Slider
            I like latrines ideas...except with the 1 round for basing
            Just make it 30 minutes best of 3 :X
            uh-huh...I need to go out on saturdays and go to bed early on sundays.
            some are wise, some are otherwise

1: PolluX> People say I talk too much
            1: Louis XV> Dude you seriously need to stfu!
            1: Louis XV> I still love you, k?

Comment

For reasons of scheduling, best of three rounds for the regular season are just not possible.

Imagine this:

If there are 16 teams in all three leagues, that's 24 games a weekend.

Evenly divided out, that's 2/3 games per timeslot. (10 total timeslots). Now times aren't going to be completely evenly divided out, and will most likely bunch up between 2-4pm EST starting times, which means 3-4 games a timeslot.

This means that if there are three games in the same slot which are over time because 3 rounds of 20 mins = 1 hour + setup time between rounds + setup time before the game starts, we're going to have 7-8 games at the same time (starting the next hour). From the experience of last season, it's impossible to find that many hosts at the same time who won't be either participating in a game, or free for the next hour to host the match.

That means that best of three in the regular season is just impossible. During playoffs when the teams thin out then it's possible.

Yes I know we could have three 15-minute rounds. But even then, 10 mins to start + 15 + 5 inbetween + 15 + 5 inbetween + 15 = 65 minutes. And this is assuming that everything runs like clockwork and all games start on time, but it likely won't. And this also means that if we need that person to host again, they will be hosting continously for 2 hours which very few people are willing to do. Even if people are willing, the games will likely get delayed more and more as the time goes by.

Although I am fully aware that this represents a worst case scenario, it is dumb to plan so that you know the system will fail under certain (and not too unreasonable) circumstances.

To host around 30 mins, get 30 mins rest then host again is much easier logistically.

-Epi
              Last edited by Epinephrine; 12-18-2002, 01:24 PM.
              Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
              www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
              www.animeslice.com

Comment

perhaps it could be best of three. the first two rnds coulc be 20 minutes, but if it goes to three round make the third round 30 minutes.

Asia Minor> see you sunday fuckers
                Asia Minor> maybe not
                Asia Minor> i hope you guys lose
                bloodzombie> I hope your mom fucks you while you sleep
                bloodzombie> every time you have a wet dream, it's really your mom fucking you
                bloodzombie> remmeber that next time
                bloodzombie> seriously

Comment

Make it 1 round 30 mins for regular leagues, then make it best of 3 for playoffs.
                  "Disoblige - It's not just a squad, it's a lifestyle" - BermuDa

Jonas

Comment

Latrine's System is similar to that of the NFL's except with more games. TWD should determine seeding for TWL because it will ensure that the teams that worked hardest and stuck together will get in... not some newly formed super squad or something. Also it gives TWD more meaning.

Go Latrine
                    Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

I'd agree, but it was decided long ago that TWD would determine entrance to TWL.

Comment

Originally posted by Latrine

Sixteen squads should be chosen for each league and they will be placed into two divisions, seeded according to their placement in TWD, every other squad going in the same division. ie, 1st goes to the first divison, 2nd goes to the second division, 3rd goes to the first division, 4th goes to the second division, and so on. Teams will play two games with every team in their division and one game with every team outside of their division, resulting in a solid 25 week regular season.
                        25 weeks is a long time for some squads to stay active especcially if they're not doing as hot as they'd have hoped. (Not mentioning any names here)

The top eight squads from each division will be seeded into a playoff like so: 1st vs 8th - 4th vs 5th - 3rd vs 6th - 2nd vs 7th.
                        There are only 8 squads in each division anyways why have them playoff?

basing should be two thirty minute rounds with accumulitive scoring. I also like Guru's double elimination tourney idea. I'm not a fan of multi-round basing because it somewhat changes the dynamic of the game.
                        I think we should stick to one 30 minute game, or three 15 minute games. Like Epi said, three 20 minute games won't work, and two 30 minute rounds with cumulative scoring would feel very sour.
                        I'd rather be SubSpacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Webbb Llama v1.5

I beleive Epi said 16.

I think we should stick to one 30 minute game, or three 15 minute games. Like Epi said, three 20 minute games won't work.
                          He said three 20 minute games wouldn't work for the season, it worked well for playoffs, I thought. The three rounds wr played with diso was perhaps the most fun I had in leagues. 15 minute games are just too short for leagues.

Comment

I was replying to Latrine's plan
                            I'd rather be SubSpacing.

Comment

25 weeks is a long time for some squads to stay active especcially if they're not doing as hot as they'd have hoped. (Not mentioning any names here)

Boo hoo.

I mean the top 8 squads from both divisions with the best season record.

I think we should stick to one 30 minute game, or three 15 minute games. Like Epi said, three 20 minute games won't work, and two 30 minute rounds with cumulative scoring would feel very sour.
                              Best two of three rounds worked fine in TWT and works fine now with the TWD bots. And yeah, I had the feeling the two round basing idea wouldn't fly...

Also in response to Epi, get more hosts! TW is really understaffed compared to like a year ago.
                              I have stopped swimming in the rock pools a few days ago. Now instead of 40 minutes swimming, I substitute it with 40 minutes power walk - usually on the beaches or around the cliffs. Nothing beats burning the fat in the cold wind. Colon minus pee.

Comment

Yeah, getting more hosts couldn't really hurt could it? They wouldn't even have to be ER's, just special like league hosters.

Comment

Working...
                                X