Separating the Dueling and Basing leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kim
    Reaver, as a staffer I thought you'd have clearer view into how TWL works and the lack of hosts. There is always a dip of them mid-season, we just want to ensure that this NEVER happens. Also, separating the leagues into two does not deppreciate the value of each at all, they still respectively occur once a year, so I don't get your argument of clumping them together like this. It makes for difficult spectating (deciding to watch TWLJ or TWLD or TWLB), and scheduling problems arise.
    Kim, I understand TWL as a participant in TWL and as as much information that is given to me as a staffer. If my view on TWL is so unclear, then by all means, cite examples and correct me where Im wrong please to unvalidate my points. I was simply offering a less drastic, alternative method and my opinion on the matter. I clearly understand the lack of hosts and thats partially what I meant when I said, "I know scheduling has been a problem, there are plenty of other solutions to that, that arent nearly as drastic as this." I understand your point of not being able to spectate all games at once when they are clumped, is someone not able to record the games so that they can be watched later? There is absolutely no excuse for a shortage of hosts, there are plenty of people that are wanting to join staff badly and help out with things such as this and many of those people are capable of doing the job.
    1:Best> lol why is everyone mad that roiwerk got a big dick stickin out his underwear, it's really attractive :P
    3:Best> lol someone is going to sig that
    3:Best> see it coming
    3:Best> sad

Comment

Originally posted by Windreaper
      Pick up basing, maybe? Many duelers have done that and lived, some even got very good at it and claimed it was actually rather enjoyable at times .
      i can't stand basing, its a horrible league, i can't come to terms with it so honestly, i dont wanna have to take up a league i dont fuckin like just so im not bored the remainder of the year. Seperating leagues = stupid idea
      TWLD Season 8 Champion: -FINAL-
      TWLJ Season 9 CHampion: Syndicate

Goddess> i haven't had sex in over 5 years now because i'm waiting for someone who's worth marrying ... which will most likely never happen so i figure ima be a nun without catholism

Colonel> rofl.. goddess hasn't had sex in 5 years because thats how long its been since someone has actually been able to find her cooch

Comment

I think the concept is OK in it's core, but I don't think it could be implemented (in the way you said with the squads resetting) without a lot of people complaining and being dissatisfied.

This idea COULD work if it was done in TWDT style (in other words not "true" squads, just a mix of people). This could be done to supplement the normal TWL in the offseason perhaps, and it would still encourage people to try basing because they would have the option of joining one of the basing teams without having to leave their "real" squad -- atleast this way there would be no "forcing" of people to do something they don't like, and it would also give them the freedom to try things which they previously haven't. Every few months there could be a different TWDT "league". TWDT-D for a month or two, then -J and -B so on.

So in summary: something similar to TWDT, but taking place over a longer timespan, with better implementation, and better "advertising" so more players will be involved.
        CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

Comment

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but this would off-set that "squad-hopping" problem...where people would play for one squad for one twjd/twdd/twbd, then join another random squad...and the reason they would be able to do this is because there would no longer be that 12-24 hour rule (well...it would only make sense to remove it if you're planning on having this separate league thing because people would have to switch back from squad to squad and practice, etc). Yeah, that would cause a lot of problems with maintaining "loyalty", etc. But, every change has different consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel
            i can't stand basing, its a horrible league, i can't come to terms with it so honestly, i dont wanna have to take up a league i dont fuckin like just so im not bored the remainder of the year. Seperating leagues = stupid idea
            Well up until now you've been able to play only one LD per year, too, since off-season is so long. As a one-leaguer this thing wouldn't have any effect on you, except that the roster sizes will be smaller, resulting in better competition.
            6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
            3 league vet

Comment

I honestly really like the idea, it definately creates a lot more "good" squads than the one elite squad which this season was syndicate. Spreads the talent which means everyone is actually worth something, instead of the usual benchers that say they won twl title by doing nothing all season. Squads like syndicate would still exist, but just in a much smaller roster, meaning the players that didnt bench for them would still be there. What this system essentially does is to create squads where the 2nd and 3rd stringers actually become important, which (hopefully?) helps them increase their skills/playing time.

Quicksand was small like this anyways, and everyone on the roster actually played and was important. Could we have added 20 more people that didnt do anything? Sure, but how is that fair to them for not playing or to us who did play for them to get the recognition for no reason?

Kim hopefully you can push an idea like this through to other staff, duno if its possible but I like the idea anyway.
              RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
              RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

honestly, one thing that killed this years league was the whole delay of when TWL was meant to start. It was delayed by about 2-3 months, and everyone was realyl active during those months... and when TWL finally came; people had lost interest already.

Though the idea, as i said already, is a pretty decent one. I feel the most important thing is to reduce or totally remove any delays.

===

As for the roster limit; i feel it was fine. United Force only fielded about 10 different players during the whole of TWLD so far; and our roster was no bigger than 20 at any time during TWLD. However, i do feel that 15 is a little bit small, something like 20 does sound a bit more appropriate
                Ardour> my fire button is escape key. and thrust is F12. i like to make it as hard for me as possible.
                Reaver> i play subspace with a steering wheel and gas pedal and a dance dance revolution pad
                Reaver> i gotta jump on the arrows and turn left to fire
                Ardour> my movement keys are random letters. i change them regually

Glide> my parents are being evil, they stole my antenna in an attempt to ground me from internet
                Glide> so i made one

Comment

stupid idea, just get more hosts
                  zidane> big play
                  Omega Red> dwop sick
                  mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
                  WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
                  1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

Comment

I think that seperating the leagues might give TWLB a nice kick in the ass which it sorely needs. On the other hand, TWBD might suffer during the off season.

I was thinking: if we are going to have only 1 league at a time, how about we change it so that games can be scheduled to be played on weekdays as well? I don't know about other people, but for me it is a lot more convenient to play on a weekday night rather than a Sunday afternoon. I mean, just having the option to schedule a weekday game would be nice.

The same way I feel about LD and LJ. I just don't enjoy those leagues at all, and have never really tried to get better at them, nor do I want to. I don't think seperating the leagues will make more people TRY other leagues, but it will give them a chance to join different squads for TWLB/LJ/LD if they want.

On the other hand, when it comes down to it you're just asking people to squadhop by implementing an idea like this, especially with the idea of making every squad dissolve after each league. Right now people have somewhat of a reason to stay on their squad. If they get booted off every 3-6 months and then a new league is starting, they aren't nearly as likely to stay loyal to 1 squad.
                    sdg

Comment

Originally posted by Stabwound
                      I was thinking: if we are going to have only 1 league at a time, how about we change it so that games can be scheduled to be played on weekdays as well? I don't know about other people, but for me it is a lot more convenient to play on a weekday night rather than a Sunday afternoon. I mean, just having the option to schedule a weekday game would be nice.
                      What I feel makes the most sense, is having an option to schedule on saturday, sunday, and monday. And If no one can come to an agreement, the game is on sunday.
                      I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
                      I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by Dwopple
                        stupid idea, just get more hosts

its obvious why you dont like the idea, your the the classic "bencher" that does nothing during the season but gets credit for being on the squad. This idea would force you to contribute and oh hell no would you want to do something like that.
                        RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                        RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

I don't get some of you guys. The current setup of TWL is that it's only played ONCE a year. Separating the leagues doesn't change that. Nor do I think TWL ops or even players will want TWLD for ex to be played twice a year.

There are already problems running TWL once a year and you want it to run twice a year now? I don't get it.

Edit: Col ... there is TWD you know ... as well as ?go tourny and ?go wbduel. There isn't much else TW can offer you.
                          Last edited by Sufficient; 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Izor
                            What I feel makes the most sense, is having an option to schedule on saturday, sunday, and monday. And If no one can come to an agreement, the game is on sunday.
                            TWL has a lot more Euros than other leagues (other zone leagues). I think we should just keep the normal schedule to Sundays and assuming we separate either all leagues of just dueling and basing, there should be enough slots open to play ONLY on Sundays.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaver
                              Kim, I understand TWL as a participant in TWL and as as much information that is given to me as a staffer. If my view on TWL is so unclear, then by all means, cite examples and correct me where Im wrong please to unvalidate my points. I was simply offering a less drastic, alternative method and my opinion on the matter. I clearly understand the lack of hosts and thats partially what I meant when I said, "I know scheduling has been a problem, there are plenty of other solutions to that, that arent nearly as drastic as this." I understand your point of not being able to spectate all games at once when they are clumped, is someone not able to record the games so that they can be watched later? There is absolutely no excuse for a shortage of hosts, there are plenty of people that are wanting to join staff badly and help out with things such as this and many of those people are capable of doing the job.
                              I reread your posts Reav, and I didn't really see you make any alternative suggestions.

Finding refs is something that needs to be taken care of. I think every participating TWL squads should contribute refs (IF TWL ops cannot get enough from their own staff).

====

On a separate note ... if we were to separate the leagues in one way or another, would we reduce the squads per league to 12 or 14? I still think this whole squads dropping out thing is ridiculous.

The big question here is:
                              Will we have less dropouts if we reduce the squads per league?

Comment

I like the ideas brought up in the first post and support them fully, as I feel TWL is seriously lacking right now and this would most likely give it a kick in the ass
                                Dice
                                TWLB Champions Season 8
                                TWLJ Champions Season 8
                                TWLB Champions Season 10
                                TWLB Champions Season 11

Comment

Working...
                                X