Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW Mafia: Still Worthy

Hello and welcome to TW Mafia 2019 #5: Still Worthy

Mafia is a game of social deduction that has been played on the Trench Wars forums for many years. New or old, this game is accessible to all, provided an average skill at deduction and just the right amount of mistrust between friends. The game pits an informed minority (the mafia) against an uninformed majority (the town) for control over the game. We alternate between day and night phases. Each day phase, everyone gets together and chooses someone to be removed from the game (aka lynched). At night, the mafia secretly chooses someone to remove (nightkill). There are many other roles and mechanics involved, but that's all you need to know to get started.

This game will be set during the events of the first Avengers movie- NYC circa 2012. However, the events of this game will not occur like the story plays out in that movie. Additionally, a supporting cast from future movies (2012-2018) will join the battle.

Let's talk about how mafia roles work in a world full of superheroes. For my example, I will pick some not even in the MCU: Batman. For those out of the loop, batman is a superhero whose power is being rich, having lots of cool gadgets, and being pretty good at fighting. This can translate into mafia a few ways. Batman could be a VT since he doesnt actually have a power. He could be a Jack of All Trades, because he has several cool gadgets. He could be a a Mafia Ninja because he sneaks around in the night to make his attacks. He could be a strongman because he is damn hard to kill. Or he could be a Vigilante, because he is generally regarded as one. All this is to say, be creative.

An example role PM for Batman:

You are Bruce Wayne aka Batman. Your very wealthy parents died in front of you at a very young age. You have since studied, trained, and invented a whole new way to fight crime.

You are a regretful-modifier Vigilante. Each night phase, you may submit one target to shoot, nightkilling them instantly. However, you will lose this ability if you kill a town member.

Your objective is eliminate all threats to the town.
    Finally, I'd like to touch on some unique mechanics to this game.
    • Like fis's serial killer role in field's game, players roles may change.
    • Fis mentioned it a few games ago, and I think it will make this game more unique: I will be playing with a hammer rule. If, during one of my checks of the game, a single player has more than half the votes, they will be instantly lynched. Otherwise, the phase will last the usual length with usual lynching rules. Due to my personal time limitations, checks will happen around 8am, 12pm, 4pm, and 9pm Central Daylight time. I may not always have time to write a full flavor writeup during that time, but I will make a phase change as soon as I can, even if this doesn't (yet) include a writeup. Be careful with your votes!
    • Private messaging will be allowed but discouraged. I have balanced this game in such a way that pming will not win the game for town. Only an above average skill for deduction can save you.
    • For those unfamiliar with my hosting style, I have one player (character) designated as the narrator. There will be context clues as to their actions and others' in the flavor write ups. However, it is easy to read too far into this.
    Disclaimer(s):
    The roles I have chosen might be tweaked slightly and/or X-Shot (limited usage ability).
    I've also been known to create some of the roles myself...

Rules:
    1) Actions occur in this order: Target modifiers (Busdriver, hider, commuter, nexus) -> Strongman -> Action modifiers (roleblock, protection) -> Killing roles -> Miscellaneous (treestump, recruitment) -> Investigative roles
    Target Modifiers, however, can be roleblocked.
    2) All votes must be BOLDED. Unvotes are not necessary but are allowed
    3) You may not abstain from voting.
    4) There will be NO double lynches. In the event of a vote tie, the day will conclude with no one being lynched.
    5) Please keep conversation limited to game-related topics. It's really cool to see a game go into hundreds of pages, but it's a bit of a turn-off for new players and those who can only spare a few minutes for reading.
    6) Phases will last however long I see fit. I expect votes every day and night-actions at night. Please don't keep everyone else waiting. Ideally, day phases will last under 48 hours, and night phases approximately 24 hours. It is your responsibility to make sure the game goes quickly though.
    7) Never re-post any part of any pm sent to you by me. Paraphrasing is okay but I am the final judge of what is acceptable. I will mod-kill you instantly if you do so. Don't be a tool and we'll be cool.
    8) You may not EDIT your posts. Multi-posting to correct what was said is fine.
    9) Do NOT Lurk. I need you to post at least once per phase (more than a one-liner, please). If someone does not do even that much than I will look for a substitute. If someones is seen as lurking more than usual, it is your job as town/mafia to lynch them.
    10) If you're dead, you're dead. Dead people don't talk nor share any information.
    11) If you have any questions, please PM me (in-game or in Forum).
    12) Submit your night actions if you have one. If you don't wish to use yours, please let me know that too so we can move on faster.
    13) I reserve the right to modify the rules slightly for extraneous situations.
    14) I reserve the right to edit/delete posts that don't comply with explicitly stated rules here or via private message.
    15) Don't be shit-heads- to me or to each other.

Sending out role PMs shortly

Players:
    • Voth- Captain America- Vanilla Townie (lynched D3)
    • field- Winter Soilder- Strongman SK
    • Missa- Black Panther- Town Tracker (killed N1)
    • Exalt- Hawkeye- watcher turned cultist (killed N4)
    • fiS- Thor- Vanilla Townie (lynched D2)
    • rodney- Ironman- Town Inventor (killed N3)
    • ixt- Dr. Strange- Town Busdriver (killed N2)
    • Jessup- Loki- VT turned cultist (Winner)
    • Halp- Spiderman- Cult Leader (Winner)
    • sdrawkcab- Black Widow- VT turned backup cult recruiter (Winner)
    • the_paul- Nick Fury- Naive town cop (lynched D4)
    • kthx- the Hulk- PGO SK (killed N2)
    Current Phase: Game Over

Phase Changes:

Day 1
    Night 1
    Day 2
    Night 2
    Day 3
    Night 3
    Day 4
    Last edited by WillBy; 06-06-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

"I do love battle", I thought as I swung my hammer, bashing the enemies of Asgard right in their ugly alien faces.

Valkyrie's scream drew my attention, just in time to see a large Chitauri rider knock her from her steed. I jumped over, and as I brought my hammer down upon the creature's head, my killing blow was parried. My hammer, Mjolnir, crumbled about it's staff, as if it was made of dust. It then smashed its staff into my face, and everything went black.

I awoke mid-battle, rider nowhere to be seen. But something felt different...

Begin Day 1

If you have not received a role PM, or you have questions regarding your role, please contact me via private message.
      The phase will change in approximately 48 hours. I will give updates closer to that time, pending players' activity.
      Last edited by WillBy; 05-29-2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

OK so according to the new hammer vote mechanism we have to be super careful with our votes, 12 people this phase means if at any point someone has 7 votes they RIP

Also am hyped for another Willby game, i always like them
        Big Chill

Comment

sup niggus

Comment

as a new player like myself im very interested to get a feel for playstyles of returning vets like halp kthx and backwards (did u mention to me in game before that u were gripe halp? dont remember)

Comment

once more people pipe up should we at least introduce ourselves what characters we are?

Comment

I am going to bed now, I will respond to all questions in the morning. Please post at least a "hello". As with my other game, I will allow a day 1 vote abstain to vote for no lynch at all. This will not, however, follow the hammer rule

Comment

In before fis votes ixt.
                  Trench Wars Player

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by ixt View Post
                    as a new player like myself im very interested to get a feel for playstyles of returning vets like halp kthx and backwards (did u mention to me in game before that u were gripe halp? dont remember)
                    halp is grope he plays on my pc irl a lot lately... Guess it?s time to watch some super hero movies. Rodney u proposing we play some lynch chicken?

Originally posted by Turban
                    everyone new(ish) player seems to be naive as fuck.

Comment

Let's get this party started, shall we?

vote: the_paul

He always steals my first vote, and I'm onto him.

Also, who is looking forward to Gripe-Exalt shitfest?
                      Trench Wars Player

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

If you?ve never played in a game with both Exalt and Kthx before then buckle the fuck up.

I guess i cant come Willby day 1 so I?m a little off my game already
                        JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                        the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

Well what the fuck. Thanks for making us look like scum field
                          JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                          the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

Originally posted by field View Post
                            In before fis votes ixt.
                            lmao.

Comment

vote fiS HA I GOT THERE FIRST WUT WUT

Comment

Working...
                              X