No announcement yet.

Help me fix my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know much about your car, however, your vehicle probably uses fuel injection and as such you have two options. First option is to adjust the position of the throttle cable on the throttle body. It shouldn't need to be adjusted very far since this is equivalent to always slightly pressing the accelerator. This tends to be a hack of sorts for those unwilling to look in the owner's manual. In the owner's manual, it should tell you how to adjust it (it's usually just a screw). As for the knocking while standing still, it could be a bunch of things. If it doesn't knock while you're running at higher revs, it could be things such as your fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, air intake, buildup in injector (just need a fuel additive that contains detergents to fix this, usually), insufficient spark (just replace the spark plugs), or a problem involving one of the knock sensors in the engine (least likely since this tends to become more of a problem as you accelerate and it'll usually throw a code). I could give you other suggestions if you'd say more about things such as whether or not the car is sluggish in acceleration, do you have to push on the accelerator harder to maintain speed, do the problems go away at higher speed or revs and if so when?

Comment

a rough idle could be due to many things. the simplest explanation is that the rubber mounts in older cars get hard and don't dampen enough. But changing them out requires lifting up the engine. (also breaking the bolts that mount your engine is not recommended. breaking as in, oh, crap i broke the bolt off. sorry, dude)

I wouldn't worry about it too much though- it's just annoying, I know. Raising the idle speed a little like rob said might help.

Comment

wait, did you pay him $80 to change ur filter and clean ur tubes? cuz for $40, you could have gotten a top of the line air filter (K&N or FRAM AirHOG).
        PURE HATRED> i cannot dodge your bombs AND my teammates
        pv=nrt> YOU ARE MINE PRINCESS iNgeNfyRe
        hogo> iNgeNfyRe Just got HoE'D
        Dark Moogoo> psst, bring the cookies and cream

Comment

Working...
        X