Help me fix my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me fix my car

I have a 1995 Chrysler Concord. I never had any problems with it until recently, when it would die without warning when I'm on the road. The weird thing is, it would die all of a sudden, then when i release the gas and step on it again, it would jump back up again without me having to pull over and restart. (this happened about 5 times to date, along with the car dying when I'm stopped at red lights.)

My friend told me I had to replace the spark plugs... what should I do? I'm not very good with cars.
    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
    TelCat> i dont

He's right.

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
    1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
    1:Freeze> LOL FAR
    ---
    5:waven> freeze
    5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
    5:waven> you state your business with sanji
    5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
    5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
    5:waven> and i will talk to ease
    5:Freeze> LOL
    5:waven> that's how things work around here
    --
    1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Edit: Don't mind me...
      Last edited by Fallen Angel; 07-22-2004, 11:10 AM.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Edit: Don't mind me...
        Last edited by Fallen Angel; 07-22-2004, 11:10 AM.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

if spark plugs is what the things that ignites the fuel is called in english, then yes, it sounds like they need cleaning/replacing.
          5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
          5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
          5: Da1andonly> =((
          5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
          5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
          5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

yes, and buy a new car
            the price is right, bitch.

Comment

Walk - no one in America walks
              Last edited by ZeUs!!; 07-23-2004, 01:25 PM. Reason: satisfied?
              Originally posted by Facetious
              edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                Walk - no one in American walks
                America*

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
                1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
                1:Freeze> LOL FAR
                ---
                5:waven> freeze
                5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
                5:waven> you state your business with sanji
                5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
                5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
                5:waven> and i will talk to ease
                5:Freeze> LOL
                5:waven> that's how things work around here
                --
                1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

How many spark plugs are there and how much does it cost?
                  TelCat> i dont

Comment

theres probably 6 sparkplugs in your car, but I dont know how much they cost, probably not alot of $$ though.
                    Like, there was this ninja who got
                    ticked off at some people who kept
                    talking while he was trying to rock
                    out on his guitar, so the ninja totally
                    flipped out and sang at them till
                    they all exploded!!! (true story.)

Comment

One spark plug per cyclinder.

If you think the problem is the spark plugs, you should check the gaps before you replace them. You can buy a gapper for $1-2 at any auto parts store. Use the gapper to measure the gap and to adujst to what your owner's manual says. The gap is the area between the electrode and the 'L' shaped metal hanging over. The plugs are under the spark plug wires- pull out the wires and use a racheting wrench and a deep socket. Make sure you put the wires back in the same place when you're done. I don't remember how much plugs are but not that expensive.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system2.htm

If you think the problem is electrical, also check your spark plug wires and distributor cap. The cap is cheap ($8-10) the wires can be expensive depending on if you get standard or higher performance ones. The cap and wires should be replaced something like every 70-100k miles.

The other problem you might have is fuel, esp if stepping on the gas brings the car back. First check- is your gas cap on tight? If it's not tight, your pump may have problems sucking the fuel up to the engine.

Also check/replace your fuel filter ($10).

Comment

My brother had a Lebaron from the same year and he had tons of electrical problems...

I'm sure that helps you a lot.

I'll shut up now.
                        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

clean your plugs, or just buy new ones, maybe a new set of spark plug wires and a new distributor cap, it's pretty easy to do for a beginner, i'm assuming you have a 4 cylinder so it's even easier.

also, change your oil and air filter at the same time, all that will probably take you an hour or two.

also, take your car into a shop to check your alternator and battery. Alternators run about 100 bucks canadian and same with a battery. With this minor shit your car will be pretty up to snuff. and if your car feels like it's gonna stall at a traffic light, shift to neutral (if it's an automatic) and rev the enigne a bit, don't forget to shift back to drive (one click down) when the light turns green, you won't need to step on the break to shift back as if you were shifting from park to drive.

Anymore? hmmmm change your oil, get new plugs and wires and distributor cap, get your battery and alternator tested at a shop, and that's about it, you could also check your fuel pump and filter.

peace.
                          There once was a man from Nantucket.

Comment

ok sorry for bumping this thread, but I just took my car to the mechanic recently and he said it wasn't the spark plugs or the distributor cap. He said that since the car seldomly dies -while I'm driving- and when I stop at a light, its because of the air intake and he wants me to replace the filter and get the air tubes cleaned? thatll cost me around 80 dollars or so.

Please advise.
                            TelCat> i dont

Comment

To get clean fresh air to your engine and possibly fix your problem for $80 seems like a no-brainer to me.
                              http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Working...
                              X