The Davinci Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Davinci Code

I am about to start reading this book, and I remember reading somewhere, that in this book and the other the writer wrote (the name slipped my mind), that these 2 books have some underlying theme, something the writer is trying to bring across, now I thought I read that on these forum, but when I searched for it, I couldn't find anything, so does anyone know anything more about this book, and if it maybe has an underlying theme, and if so, what is this underlying theme? Ty.

I could be wrong, and there is no underlying theme or something off that sort, and I am just confusing stuff again, sorry in that case.
    Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

The main underlying theme that people talk about in the divinci code relates to the shallowness of the catholic church and their desire to segregate the white actors from the black ones. "seperate but equal" is the term they use, I think.
    http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

edit: subidol
      Originally posted by Ward
      OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Overrated. -_-
        Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Good book. Not overated.
          this is a dated signature

FREE GHB, PH
          (:3=

Comment

read the back cover. i think there are bolded lettes are something. its a code

Comment

Originally posted by Vykromond
              edit: subidol
              if you get rid of the b and i, it spells my last name

Comment

I hear Tom Hanks is going to play Langdon in the movie. I think he's one of the greatest actors of this generation, but I can't picture him in the role.

Comment

That book rocked, and yeah they both deal with the Church's early and current mishaps and cover-ups
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                    I hear Tom Hanks is going to play Langdon in the movie. I think he's one of the greatest actors of this generation, but I can't picture him in the role.

"Tom Hanks can't act his way out of a nut sack " - Cartman
                    - RawZ

Street Cred:

Cripple since 2000
                    Ex Cripples Captain
                    Ex SSC DownTown Zone Sysop
                    - my smods (NOBODY!!!!!!! and Ave-iator) created the original Alias Bot for Trenchwars -

delectable> I like double penetration from african americans

Comment

In World of Warcraft I'm in a guild called "Knights Templar".

Comment

That book ROCKS. Also read Angels and Demons another excellent book by Dan Brown. But as far as the underlying meaning...

Originally posted by Sparknotes.com
                        Dan Brown refuses to accept the idea that faith in God is rooted in ignorance of the truth. The ignorance that the Church has sometimes advocated is embodied in the character of Bishop Aringarosa, who does not think the Church should be involved in scientific investigation. According to The Da Vinci Code, the Church has also enforced ignorance about the existence of the descendents of Jesus. Although at one point in the novel Langdon says that perhaps the secrets of the Grail should be preserved in order to allow people to keep their faith, he also thinks that people who truly believe in God will be able to accept the idea that the Bible is full of metaphors, not literal transcripts of the truth. People’s faith, in other words, can withstand the truth.

The Da Vinci Code raises the question of whether history books necessarily tell the only truth. The novel is full of reinterpretations of commonly told stories, such as those of Jesus’ life, the pentacle, and the Da Vinci fresco The Last Supper. Brown provides his own explanation of how the Bible was compiled and of the missing gospels. Langdon even interprets the Disney movie The Little Mermaid, recasting it as an attempt by Disney to show the divine femininity that has been lost. All of these retellings are presented as at least partly true.

Characters in The Da Vinci Code ignore the power of women at their peril. Throughout the novel, Sophie is underestimated. She is able to sneak into the Louvre and give Langdon a secret message, saving him from arrest, because Fache does not believe her to be capable of doing her job. Fache specifically calls Sophie a “female cryptologist” when he is expressing his doubts about Sophie and Langdon’s ability to evade Interpol. When interpreting one of the clues hidden in the rose box, Langdon and Teabing leave Sophie out, completely patronizing her. When she is finally allowed to see the clue, she immediately understands how to interpret it. Sophie saves Langdon from arrest countless times.

Other women are similarly underestimated. Sister Sandrine, in the Church of Saint-Suplice, is a sentry for the Brotherhood, but Silas, indoctrinated in the hypermasculine ways of Opus Dei, does not consider her a threat.SPOILER LOOK OUT!!!!(Highlight to read) And Marie Chauvel, Sophie’s grandmother, manages to live without incident near Rosslyn Chapel for years, preserving her bloodline through Sophie’s brother.
                        1:Sumpson> SSC wants to be facist

"The only thing that can ruin this game is the player community." -BD Vine, Sonera
                        Corporation.

Comment

Yeah I really like Dan Brown, even with all the time my military life takes up, I stayed up to like 5 am reading his books, then going straight to work ;d

Read Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress if you get a chance. Really good books, I personally like Angels and Demons more than TDC. He has a fourth book out forgot what it is, haven't read it yet, but Angels and Demons is his first book and possibly his best. Digital Fortress is really good too. The great thing about his books is they're all based on fact. Learning about what CERN is doing in Angels and Demons was pretty mind blowing, I even ended up looking through an old enclyopedia from like 1992 by chance like months after I read it and stumbled across CERN and what was discussed in his book to all find it to be true.

But we all love shit like that, especially me, I love learning about religion, can argue both sides of it; it's just great to see it put out in some great writing like that.
                          1:Jerome> ON THE THIRD DAY GOD CREATED THE REMINGTON BOLT ACTION .33, AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD, AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HE USED IT TO KILL DINOSAURS AND HOMOSEXUALS

Juice

Comment

That last book you forgot about apt is called Deception Point.

Its about NASA saying they found a meteorite buried in the Arctic ice cap. But if you'v read his other 3 books then you know theres more to it than than. I wouldnt want to spoil it for you though so i wont say more. Except that like the other 3 books he's published, its very captivating.

And i agree with TK. I like Hanks but he's not the man for that particular role.
                            "I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist killers. Thank you. Now watch this drive"

George W. Bush, POTUS

Comment

Is this the same principle as that "bible code" thing where events where ment to have been predicted by a code in the book?

If so its utter rubish and has been proven to been coincidence by really smart science ppl
                              In my world,
                              I am King

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X