Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAN JUMPS OUT OF CAR AND 110 PEOPLE ARE INJURED AS A RESULT OF THE EMPTY CARS ACTIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAN JUMPS OUT OF CAR AND 110 PEOPLE ARE INJURED AS A RESULT OF THE EMPTY CARS ACTIONS

What a dumbass:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/26/tra...ent/index.html
    GLENDALE, California (CNN) -- A suicidal man will face murder charges after parking his vehicle on railroad tracks Wednesday, causing a commuter train collision that killed at least 11 people outside Los Angeles, officials said.

"This whole incident was started by a deranged individual who was suicidal," said Glendale Police Chief Randy Adams.

The suspect, identified as 25-year-old Juan Manuel Alvarez, got out of the Jeep Cherokee before impact and watched the collision, Adams said.

Alvarez, whose last known address was in Compton, California, was taken into custody near the scene and will face "at least 10 counts of murder," Adams said before the 11th victim was recovered.

A representative of the district attorney's office said prosecutors would decide on charges Thursday or Friday.

Before being arrested and placed on suicide watch, the suspect was treated for superficial wounds -- cuts to his wrist and chest --that were self-inflicted and not caused by the train wreck, Adams said.

"I think he was intent at that time of taking his own life, but changed his mind prior to the train actually striking his vehicle," Adams said.

Alvarez's sister-in-law, Maricela Amaya, told Telemundo TV that he separated from his wife, Carmelita, three months ago, according to The Associated Press. She said the wife obtained a court order to keep him away, but he had attempted to see his wife and son, AP reported.

"He was having problems with drugs and all that and was violent," Amaya was quoted as saying. "A few other times he went around as if he wanted to kill himself. I said, 'If you're going to kill yourself, go kill yourself far away.'"

Adams said Alvarez has an arrest record for unspecified drug violations and described the suspect as "distraught, remorseful, but cooperative."

"We're very confident that he is the correct individual," Adams said. "Not only through his own admissions, but we actually have a couple of witnesses that were on the train that actually saw him fleeing from the vehicle."

Of the 120 injured, 101 were assessed and released by any of five area hospitals, Los Angeles Mayor Jim Hahn said.

"We are in mourning today," he said, but added that it could have been worse. "When you saw the wreckage inside those cars, it's a miracle there weren't more people lost."

The crash occurred shortly after 6 a.m.

"It sounded like the train was dragging something across the tracks in front of it," said one passenger. "All of a sudden, the lights went out. The train jerked to a stop."

"It was terrible," said another. "I could hear people crying, people covered with blood. It was terrible. To get out of the train, we [had] to break the window and jump off."

Passenger Carol Smith, 50, who was unharmed, told Reuters she was on her way to work and had just stopped reading her newspaper.

"All of a sudden, the train pulls the brakes and jerks and the lights went out," she told Reuters. "I walked by a lot of people who were lying on the tracks and couldn't move."

A spokeswoman for the commuter line, Metrolink, said one of its trains hit the car on the railroad tracks, ran into another Metrolink train and crashed into a parked Union Pacific train.

Alvarez apparently changed his mind after driving onto the tracks, but was unsuccessful in his attempts to remove his vehicle, said Glendale Mayor Bob Yousefian.

"The train coming southbound collided with the Jeep, took the vehicle and put it into the undercarriage which, at that point, started the chain of events which caused all this horrible tragedy," he said.
    Rescue operation

A massive rescue operation ensued. Chris Gray, chief of the Glendale Fire Department, said more than 75 agencies were involved in the rescue and recovery, including some from Pasadena and Burbank.

Videotape showed Metrolink passenger train cars on their sides with shattered windows and the metal sheeting peeled backward and crushed inward.

The footage also showed several overturned orange Union Pacific rail cars.

Immediately after the collision, people inside a nearby Costco ran to help. A small fire was quickly extinguished, a relief to emergency workers who worried it might ignite the diesel fuel.

Rescuers spent hours working to free the injured. Search-and-rescue teams used infrared cameras to locate victims and in some cases cut away twisted metal.

Hours after the crash, emergency workers could be seen climbing ladders to access the overturned train cars and remove a body.

At 5:30 p.m., authorities were still combing the wreckage for possible victims.

Police were notifying the relatives of nine male victims and one female victim late Wednesday afternoon.

"At this point, we're in a recovery mission, trying to make sure that, if there are any additional bodies at the scene, they are located," Adams said.

"There may be additional people missing," he said.

A law enforcement official identified one of the dead as Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy James Tutino, a 23-year veteran, who was on his way to work. The 47-year-old resident of Simi Valley is survived by his wife and four adult children, a spokesman said.

Adams said another victim was believed to be a Metrolink employee.

Because commuter trains are involved it is difficult to determine who the passengers are and how many had boarded, Gray said.

Each Metrolink train had three passenger cars and one diesel locomotive, a Metrolink spokesman said. The maximum speed in the area is 79 miles per hour, he said, but the trains were likely traveling slower due to their proximity to a nearby station.

Southbound Metrolink train No. 100, which originates in Moorpark and terminates at Union Station, has an average ridership of 200-250, according to the train line. Northbound Metrolink train No. 901, which originates in Union Station and terminates in downtown Burbank, carries from 30-50 passengers.

Metrolink is Southern California's regional commuter rail service and is in its 12th year of operation. It operates seven routes through a six-county, 512 route-mile network.

The National Transportation and Safety Board mobilized more than 100 investigators to work with local authorities investigating the incident, Adams said. The FBI also sent investigators to the site.
    Geez, if you're gonna commit suicide, dont be an oblivious ass and do it on rails, having full knowledge that others are gonna die with you. Keep it private, can you say attention whore? I'm not saying that suicidal killers are seeking attention or anything, this is just stupid.
    Last edited by Send; 01-29-2005, 07:37 PM.

You could have written a better thread title for this. The way it reads right now it looks like his jumping out of the car was what injured 110 people.

Comment

My dad always said throwing yourself in front of a train is the worst way to top yourself. He used to go to work on the London line every day and he'd get a delay a fortnight due to body parts on the track
      Originally posted by Facetious
      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
        My dad always said throwing yourself in front of a train is the worst way to top yourself. He used to go to work on the London line every day and he'd get a delay a fortnight due to body parts on the track
        I dont belive in Hell, but i seriously hope there is a place where people who commit suicide in ways that harm others, end up and live forever in agony
        :wub: GammaHydroxyButyrate :wub:

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
          You could have written a better thread title for this. The way it reads right now it looks like his jumping out of the car was what injured 110 people.
          that's what I thought too.. I pictured a guy throwing himself out of a moving car onto a freeway causing a massive pile up.

also.. this guy should burn
          http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Yea, heard about this today on the news. Apparently the guy isn't just an emo, he's also a nutcase. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but he may end up in a mental hospital for life instead of prison.

Dude should have just taken pills and saved us all the trouble.

Comment

The collision and derailment was not an act of terrorism, the police chief said.
              That bit made me laugh.

Also, this happened in Britain a few months ago. 7 people died and quite a lot were injured. The bloke stayed in the car though.
              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
              ---A few minutes later---
              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
              9:Kim> UM
              9:Kim> i didn't
              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

What was he gonna do? Bust a cap? Or maybe 110 caps.
                5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

i dunno, ever see the blues brothers? elwood like takes a turn and suddenly cue 5 minutes of raw footage of cars being slammed into an ever increasing pile of cars

then cue the nazis flying through the air

god i love the special effects. now im going to go watch it
                  NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

This guy should've been on Jackass.
                    Thrashing> "That'll be 25.99, thank you for buying, please come again"
                    Thrashing> "LET'S FUCK!"
                    Thrashing> Like that, Ott?
                    Catgirl> rofl
                    Missy> o.O im so leaving this chat

Kim> hal, say fit of rage sucks ballz
                    fit of r> here, i'll do it for you
                    fit of r> I SUCK BALLS
                    Kim> loool
                    fit of r> I LOVE BIG HAIRY MAN BALLS

Comment

why point out the fact that 110 were injured when you can simply say he managed to fail at his suicide AND kill 11 people while failing to do so. now that's just a coward.
                      www.10100.org

Comment

It does make people curious, as to what happened, so they will open the thread and read it. Same goes with newspapers, interesting headlines, make more people read it.
                        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

ive always thought a good way of punishing people like this is you dig a hole, put said retard into it in cement blocks, then let all the family members of the victims and those injured come and defecate into the hole..until he drowns in feces, + its good compost.
                          top 100 basers list

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo
                            It does make people curious, as to what happened, so they will open the thread and read it. Same goes with newspapers, interesting headlines, make more people read it.

"interesting" and "wrong" are two different things.
                            http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Right. A headline does have to be interesting, I'll give you that, but more importantly, it has to make sense with what's in the article.

Comment

Working...
                              X