"World View" - help me out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure Drop,

that's lame. If you used that rationale, you could never write a thesis on anything at all, because there's a counter-opinion to everything. He didn't ask for "proof", he asked for Ideas supporting the claim.

He's taken a side and wants to write a paper from that angle.

I do think the corny emotion thing is a good throw-in for the conclusion. If you went with a scientific route like Jesus=terrorist suggested, at the end, you could do a little "...all you really need to do in order to see that the world is a positive place is look at a baby, lick a dog, touch a child." that sort of mushy crap.
    Last edited by bloodzombie; 02-14-2005, 03:39 PM.
    http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

i always feel super-charged with positivity after licking dogs and touching children

it's quite a fix
      jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodzombie
        Pressure Drop,

that's lame. If you used that rationale, you could never write a thesis on anything at all, because there's a counter-opinion to everything. He didn't ask for "proof", he asked for Ideas supporting the claim.

He's taken a side and wants to write a paper from that angle.

I do think the corny emotion thing is a good throw-in for the conclusion. If you went with a scientific route like Jesus=terrorist suggested, at the end, you could do a little "...all you really need to do in order to see that the world is a positive place is look at a baby, lick a dog, touch a child." that sort of mushy crap.
        Whats lame?
        I try and help and get called lame typical of the ss community.

The fact i was pointing out it was a tough one to do as the arguments for it may be weak and objective and will be easy to counter? His title is support your claim, this means he is trying to prove it is a positive place by providing evidence. If this evidence is weak and flimsy , it won't be a good essay.

You can write a thesis on anything , but it won't be convincing if you don't consider the other side at all and merely put your point of view across and ignore the rest. If you were to write a thesis "why Hitler was a nice guy" or why "Einstein was a dumbass" and gloss over world war II or the theory of relativity , you wouldn't get many marks.

In this if you said Science signifies why the world is a possitive place because we are working on expanding our knowledge base. You should also be aware the fact that science is often hi-jacked on how to make weapons to murder ppl (look at the technical advancements during world war II) and the amount of ppl killed because science had provided us with the technology to do so. Or that science has provided us with the technology to create things like power stations and now the pollution is directly threatening the entire climate of our planet which in theory could lead to mass extinctions in the future, and perhaps we would be amongst them. BTW global warming as been under calculated due to a thing called global dimming and is possibly much worse than we thought it was, so that is a real possibility.

Obviously i'm not saying write in a thesis of why the world is a positive place that were all up shit creek without a paddle if we don't dramatically cut CO2 emissions etc but there is no harm in considering it in your head so you don't write something like , and due to global warming it will be easier for me to get a tan .
        In my world,
        I am King

sigpic

Comment

He didn't call you lame, he called what you said lame. There's no reason to feel insulted by that because it's not an insult, it's statement about what you said.

His point is that it doesn't matter if it is subjective and easy to counter, because that's the whole point of the exercise. There should be lots of ways to counter his thesis. If there were no counterarguments then it wouldn't be an interesting thesis. So what if you can think of a counter to every one of his points. He could probably do the same to your points if you argued the opposing opinion.

That is a lame statement, and you seemed to think so yourself when you dismissed it all by saying "but that isn't what you want".

Don't be so quick to feel insulted when someone calls what you said lame. That's not the same thing as calling you lame.

Comment

thanks for the replies now
            but it was due today before

Comment

hey pressure drop

you're lame
              can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

ilya U R SOOOOOOOOO awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                  He didn't call you lame, he called what you said lame. There's no reason to feel insulted by that because it's not an insult, it's statement about what you said.

His point is that it doesn't matter if it is subjective and easy to counter, because that's the whole point of the exercise. There should be lots of ways to counter his thesis. If there were no counterarguments then it wouldn't be an interesting thesis. So what if you can think of a counter to every one of his points. He could probably do the same to your points if you argued the opposing opinion.

That is a lame statement, and you seemed to think so yourself when you dismissed it all by saying "but that isn't what you want".

Don't be so quick to feel insulted when someone calls what you said lame. That's not the same thing as calling you lame.

I don't think what i wrote was lame. Others posted and didn't even try to help.

If you say something and someone goes "your full of shit" that is insulting, i'm entitled to my opinion and people don't have to agree with it at all, but to refer to it as lame is insulting as lame is a word used to insult.

So what if i could get a counter arguement.--
                  The title was vague, i was trying to point out that the positive was the weaker, harder side to take up. It doesn't say in the title how long they got , wether they were assigned it or choose it, or wether they can change it. If they could change it and i had to do it, i would have changed it as there are alot easier sides to take up. It could have been for a debate where the counter arguments would be very important to know so you can prepare for them.

i said "but that isn't what you want" not becuase what i had written so far was lame but becuase they asked for ideas for the positve so i tried not to go into why the world could be easily viewed as a negative place but to give some positives not given already.
                  In my world,
                  I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IlyaZ
                    hey pressure drop

you're lame
                    no i can walk fine thanks
                    In my world,
                    I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure Drop
                      I don't think what i wrote was lame. Others posted and didn't even try to help.

If you say something and someone goes "your full of shit" that is insulting, i'm entitled to my opinion and people don't have to agree with it at all, but to refer to it as lame is insulting as lame is a word used to insult.

So what if i could get a counter arguement.--
                      The title was vague, i was trying to point out that the positive was the weaker, harder side to take up. It doesn't say in the title how long they got , wether they were assigned it or choose it, or wether they can change it. If they could change it and i had to do it, i would have changed it as there are alot easier sides to take up. It could have been for a debate where the counter arguments would be very important to know so you can prepare for them.

i said "but that isn't what you want" not becuase what i had written so far was lame but becuase they asked for ideas for the positve so i tried not to go into why the world could be easily viewed as a negative place but to give some positives not given already.
                      Again... look at what Bloodzombie said: he called what you said lame. That does not mean that he's calling you lame nor does it mean that he's saying you're full of shit. There's a big difference. Saying "you're full of shit" is actually talking about "you". He's not even talking about you. Hence the word not making a guest appearence in the sentence. You say that's typical of the SS community? No. What is typical is that you were too easily insulted by something that wasn't even an insult. For the record, being told that someone thinks you are wrong is not an insult.

As for the issue of whether you can make a counterargument or not, you're telling him that he should switch views because it's a bit easier to argue. It doesn't matter because that's not the side that he was either assigned or had chosen to take. So what if you can make a counterargument? That's what I'm trying to ask you. So what? That doesn't mean that he should switch to the other view.
                      Last edited by Troll King; 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin
                        Next thing you'll tell me is you use a microwave to boil water eh
                        If it's faster

[asdf]YES[/asdf]
                        sage

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                          Again... look at what Bloodzombie said: he called what you said lame. That does not mean that he's calling you lame nor does it mean that he's saying you're full of shit. There's a big difference. Saying "you're full of shit" is actually talking about "you". He's not even talking about you. Hence the word not making a guest appearence in the sentence. You say that's typical of the SS community? No. What is typical is that you were too easily insulted by something that wasn't even an insult. For the record, being told that someone thinks you are wrong is not an insult.

As for the issue of whether you can make a counterargument or not, you're telling him that he should switch views because it's a bit easier to argue. It doesn't matter because that's not the side that he was either assigned or had chosen to take. So what if you can make a counterargument? That's what I'm trying to ask you. So what? That doesn't mean that he should switch to the other view.

God talk about going way off topic , anyway this is already over the project is done.

1) "For the record, being told that someone thinks you are wrong is not an insult."
                          wtf? did i ever say it was ... no... so why write that "on record" like your telling me something i don't know. i said you don't have to agree at all but that doesn't make my view point lame. And i tell you what, you go into a pub and start listening to a conversation with a group of guys you don't know then say "That's lame" or "thats bullshit" and see how they react. Now considering in TW lame is used extensively as an insult that is even worse.

2)what is typical of the tw community isn't that i was easily insulted (perhaps that is typical though) but the complete lack of respect shown to one another. There are other ways to disagree without having to say that its lame. Considering it didn't even involve you in don't see why you are devoting your time to reading this thread and posting about it off topic either.

3) yes if this was an important project and it were possible i would advise to choose another title because i think that it is based on weak ground. Does that mean he should? No , he can do what ever he wants but is there anything wrong with mentioning that he is doing the weaker side? No , in fact its just my opinion that its the weaker side SHOCK HORROR i could be wrong, i must go and feel insulted now. When did i "tell" him to switch sides, god you like to put words in ppls mouths. According to you i think i'm infallible and order ppl i don't know around. anyone can twist arguments like that! i'm finished discussing this with you your going around in a circle , you've made your point i disagree the world moves on ...
                          In my world,
                          I am King

sigpic

Comment

Calling your view lame is not an insult to you. If that's what you consider insulting then good gawd it must be hard to live your life if your buttons were so easily pressed. Insulting your opinion is not the same as insulting you. To take another example, if someone had an idea and I thought that idea was stupid that does not mean that I think that person is stupid as well. You're the one who went from having your comment called lame to thinking that you yourself were called lame. He attacked your opinion. That is all.

As for the good old "it doesn't concern you, so butt out!" argument, this is a public forum with public conversations. Telling people to mind their own business here would be like screaming things off the roof of a public building and then telling them to shut up when they respond. I find it more insulting that you deem yourself worthy of telling me whether or not I'm allowed to be participate in a public conversation than having any thing I say be called lame.

As for when you started to tell him he should switch arguments? You did earlier in this thread and you just did it again in that post. These are your own words, I'm putting nothing in your mouth: "i would advise to choose another title". That's the same thing as saying "I think you should choose another title". I didn't say anything about you "ordering" him to do anything, I said you were "telling" him he SHOULD change his view. You're the one who put words in my mouth. I chose my own words carefully and I even made sure to edit my last post to make sure I put the word "should" in.

Comment

Working...
                            X