Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Meaning of Life (Answer Actually Inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That doesn't mean that there isn't a meaning to life. All you are saying is that we probably won't ever know what it is or be able to understand it, but it doesn't mean that no meaning exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
      That doesn't mean that there isn't a meaning to life. All you are saying is that we probably won't ever know what it is or be able to understand it, but it doesn't mean that no meaning exists.
      Yes and No!!!

If there is a meaning of life and you know that none of us can't reach it or at least understand it if we start up on the preposition that that concept is so alien to us that we could'nt even understand it then there would be no such entity because if we say that it is a human created concept and that it is created by the colective awareness about being alive and what it is our long term reason for existing we would need to be part of it to understand it... but by being part of it we suppose ourselfs to be human ad so no such concept could ever exist because that was our first presupost!!
      On the other side we could defend that it really exists and that that "so called meaning of life exists" then we would need to create something that should be able to translate it for us that entity is GOD... god is the translation machine that grabs that alien entity called meaning of life and places it in words that we can understand... then down here on earth we pick up those tenets that make part of that translation and create a religion and use those tenets as our gidding light for our life we use them to find our way... there are some different opinions concerning this and i wont go to deep into it because i dont want to discuss religion and the foundations behing it or anything like that because i frankly dont have patience and my english is not good enough for me to express myself clearly enough... this is just the basics on the subject and a starting point for lots of other analogies but it can give us some clues...
      A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

It's human nature to look for deeper and hidden meanings, even when there are none. Be it art, poetry, life ofr death, we are all somehow compelled to accieve a deeper understanding of things, no matter how trivial they may be. In my opinion, simply because the make up of our brain allows us to. But is it a gift or a curse? Perhaps a little of both. It stimulates us to further our selves as a race, and because of this we have accieved some truely incredible advancements. On the other hand, there are things we will never fully understand or see clearly, and as a result people will always have something to argue and fight over.

Religion being one of those things. In my mind God didn't create man, but man created the concept of "God" out of a necessity to explain the unexplainable, and perhaps out of a need to be part of something bigger then themselves.
        Last edited by Fallen Angel; 03-08-2005, 07:24 PM.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
          Having a meaning is so limited.
          it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

The scariest word in the English Language is "Forever." I almost threw up today, thinking about it.
            Originally posted by Tone
            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Arikel
              Yes and No!!!

If there is a meaning of life and you know that none of us can't reach it or at least understand it if we start up on the preposition that that concept is so alien to us that we could'nt even understand it then there would be no such entity because if we say that it is a human created concept and that it is created by the colective awareness about being alive and what it is our long term reason for existing we would need to be part of it to understand it... but by being part of it we suppose ourselfs to be human ad so no such concept could ever exist because that was our first presupost!!
              On the other side we could defend that it really exists and that that "so called meaning of life exists" then we would need to create something that should be able to translate it for us that entity is GOD... god is the translation machine that grabs that alien entity called meaning of life and places it in words that we can understand... then down here on earth we pick up those tenets that make part of that translation and create a religion and use those tenets as our gidding light for our life we use them to find our way... there are some different opinions concerning this and i wont go to deep into it because i dont want to discuss religion and the foundations behing it or anything like that because i frankly dont have patience and my english is not good enough for me to express myself clearly enough... this is just the basics on the subject and a starting point for lots of other analogies but it can give us some clues...
              is everyone getting what im saying? its more simplified than the above, religion, philosophy, or any of that. it comes down to the one factor left that applies to every and anything you can think of... the amount of pleasure and pain your state of being is in. Weather you are wireheaded with electrodes in the pleasure pathways of your brain or your soul has ascended to nirvana or where the hell ever does not matter. the end result is the same. your thoughts dont really mean anything, you can be high and have a negative thought or you can be dysphoric and have a negative thought, in the former state a negative thought is merely sublime and just dandy, where in the latter extreme its the end of the world. thats why talk therapy doesnt work for mental problems and thats also why thoughts really dont mean much compared to your mindstate. the same stuff is entirely different in a different state of mind, unrelated to thoughts or emotions

you may have not thought of this before, but just has human beings vary to a ridiculous extreme in, say, intellectual capacity, they may very well vary that same amount in their wellbeing. the only difference is you cant see the difference in overall wellbeing of mindstate....

Just imagine if how well person A feels compared to person B is as wide of a difference as a nuclear scientist is to someone with autism or mental retardation who cant even talk. if our wellbeing and amount of pain and pleasure varies as much as that analogy, only it cant be easily seen like in that analogy, then thats a very fascinating and disturbing thought.

Comment

...No!!

You are mistaking stuff... you can't separate mental state from thoughts as they are interconnected... they both have feedback in each other's... so when you are calm and relaxed it is more probable although not always true that you will think about relaxing stuff and even if you think on for example very exciting stuff you will think on it in a diferent way as if you were depressed for example... the other way around also applies... if you are relaxed in your sofa and you start thinking on something really depressed you will find yourself in a diferent state in just a few minutes...
                but that doesn't add nothing to this topic what you really need to see is that there is much more in life than just a search for wellbeing... at least in a imediate way... some persons have what is called "an existential crisis" it normally happens after a remarkable event that somewaht lead's us to see the world in a diferent way and might even change us in a complete diferent way... when someone has that kind of internal quest where we ask "what am i doing here... is he really rolling some dice??" that's almost close to try to find the "meaning of life"...

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Dude tone,

are you really so arrogant as to say that you have discovered the meaning of life? No one knows. That's the beauty of life, you only get one for sure. You are no more closer to finding the answer as the bajillions of people who have philosiphised about it before you. Some of which have spent their whole lives. Life is a mystery, get over it, and give it a rest.
                  Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Since Tone was so quick to flip-flop his position on Weasels, I fully expect him to do the same on this issue by making a thread entitled "I Don't Know Shit" and going into detail about how ignorant he is.
                    It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
                    Originally posted by the_paul
                    Gargle battery acid fuckface
                    Originally posted by Material Girl
                    I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hatred
                      Since Tone was so quick to flip-flop his position on Weasels, I fully expect him to do the same on this issue by making a thread entitled "I Don't Know Shit" and going into detail about how ignorant he is.
                      (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

So why is everyone poking holes in tone's meaning of life? .. if he believes it to be true, truly, then to him, it is true. i can't remember who said that but it's some famous Guy.. maybe aristotle

But anyway meaning, by its very nature, implies a metaphysical and teleological structure that is rooted in assumptions beyond mere matter. Therefore you will be able to very easily find holes in his presentation of the meaning of life, by definition. It wouldn't be the meaning of life if it were logically unassailable.

The only unassailable arguments these days are materialism and pure philosophical agnosticism. So if you're are dealing with someone who believes that the material world exists, you can win every argument by having the position that all that exists are atoms and molecules bouncing randomly around and that there is no moral or philosophical principle that can be proven to be true, or even to have any meaning. Life is completely pointless on a philosophical level.
                        So basically we fall into Solipsisim. I suggest those that refuse to just allow tone to have his thoughs go and read up on existentialism, and the happiness and loneliness of life. You'll either find it very interesting, or hate it because you're to ignorant to learn...
                        Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confuscious : That applies to you too tone

Try....
                        Existentialism from Dostoyevsky to Sartre - Walter Kaufmann
                        I'm sure you can pick it up cheap somewhere.

...I'm fairly surprised to see such things come from tone's head, but give him a chance. Everyone deserves a second chance no matter how bad they were in the first instance (EDIT: that does not apply to everything so stfu)

"The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought, without accepting it" -Aristotle - That pretty much applies to everyone here...

Ok so i'll add my part now...
                        Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence. - Also Aristotle
                        Last edited by StarKitty; 03-15-2005, 05:46 AM.
                        STARKITTY
                        A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Comment

I'd like to here from SIRIUS. on the subject.

Asia Minor> see you sunday fuckers
                          Asia Minor> maybe not
                          Asia Minor> i hope you guys lose
                          bloodzombie> I hope your mom fucks you while you sleep
                          bloodzombie> every time you have a wet dream, it's really your mom fucking you
                          bloodzombie> remmeber that next time
                          bloodzombie> seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Arikel
                            The other and more abstract concept and the one that really turns everyone's mind into water is the more "globalized" and not a selfcentered concept about your present past and future state of being. Despite the fact that this concept resides in each and every single one of us and despite the fact that it comes from our own essesnce it is a globalized idea that we could NEVER come to even get close to find...
                            what is the problem with that? imagine a unicorn for a second. its an animal that doesnt exist, its just an idea. some of us might image it thicker and with fur, some of us might imagine it to have a deadly horn and magic powers. jet, its a unicorn for all of us because of the global idea. it doesnt matter if we come up with a meaning of life that is subjective, its still the true meaning of life for our subjective way of understanding. there is no need for a translator as long as the globalized idea exists. we can find it, we can understand it, the answer is as clever as everyone is able to make it and therfore perfect for him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffz
                              what is the problem with that? imagine a unicorn for a second. its an animal that doesnt exist, its just an idea. some of us might image it thicker and with fur, some of us might imagine it to have a deadly horn and magic powers. jet, its a unicorn for all of us because of the global idea. it doesnt matter if we come up with a meaning of life that is subjective, its still the true meaning of life for our subjective way of understanding. there is no need for a translator as long as the globalized idea exists. we can find it, we can understand it, the answer is as clever as everyone is able to make it and therfore perfect for him/her.
                              Hum!!
                              Is it?
                              So if you allow me to make the question, what's your's?

About Sartre... -_- he is good but i hate him... how acurate can he be and yet so far...

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Apart from Nailed, you're all wrong.

it is 42.
                                >o-/\/\mmmmmmmmmm/-<o<<-<

Comment

Working...
                                X