No announcement yet.

Do You Have a Higher Purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you believe in free will, do you think it's possible to miss your purpose?

For example...Jesus was supposedly supposed to free mankind from sin by sacrificing himself. What if he instead decided to become a wino, and just drop out of life entirely, and just go live alone in the desert somewhere. Then by the time he was ready to be the savior of mankind, it was too late.

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist

For example...Jesus was supposedly supposed to free mankind from sin by sacrificing himself. What if he instead decided to become a wino, and just drop out of life entirely, and just go live alone in the desert somewhere. Then by the time he was ready to be the savior of mankind, it was too late.
      or what if he decided to join al queda?
      Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
      apt>yes u can wtf
      apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
      apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
      apt>so i dont miss the toilet
      Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
      apt>na
      apt>ill show you pictures
      apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine
        I have no idea what that means, but that's not the proper way to attain the ultimate saucy potential SaucyKing-san.
        It was a reference to the Wonder-Twins. Look em up sometime. :fear:
        "I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn't have one. So I got a cake."

-RIP Mitch Hedberg

Comment

to assassinate a world leader :fear:

Comment

to pimp my ride
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

I don't think it's really possible to "miss" your purpose, since it is an important thing and would most likely be hinted at for awhile. On the other hand I think it's entirely possible to choose to not accept what you're meant to do, and find another purpose that you think suits your lifestyle better.

Using your example, I think God would have let Jesus know what he was meant to do before hand. Jesus could have decided that dying is for suckers, and wanted to relax and get drunk every day, aka become a wino.
              My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

I know it's cliche but:

Spread IlyaZ's seed.
                Originally posted by Tone
                Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Have you ever (or still have) a sense that you are destined for "some great purpose"?

Throughout our time, we have read about great individuals that had felt they were destined for greatness, or were acting on behalf of God to fulfill a great destiny.

I was wondering if you have felt this way, or still do? What is your purpose? Do you think that it's possible that you could ever eclipse your purpose, thus rendering the rest of your life meaningless? This is a broad topic, touching on the philosophical debate of Free Will vs. Determinism. However, it's different in the sense that it is applied to the individual, as to give us a point of reference, as well as keep such a broad topic from being nothing more than an abstract philosophical debate.

Any takers?
                  im determinist because i cant see how free will can exist. Any decision you think of was influenced by all previous external factors and how they were processed with the brain you were born with and devoloped. well, even if you say not everything can be calculated and there is an element of randomness as proven at the subatomic level in quantum theory, still, you dont control that randomness so that still leaves determinism... or should i say 'undetermined determinism',

i cant think of any other logical purpose to life other than to reduce suffering and increase pleasure, since every single thing in life leads to an internal processing of external stimuli, which can farther be reduced to pleasure and pain which can finally be reduced to a wellness level (Pleasure minus Pain / net state of pleasure and pain ). therefore how could their be any other more generalized and simplified purpose than to 'use the most direct means to promote wellness'?? there cant

edit: ok you wanted something personal and not just abstract philosophy. my purpose? i dont have any purpose, just to feel better all i care about is feeling better, and also be charitable in some way, doesnt have to be money. if i could contribute in some altrustic way that would be quite a purpose as well
                  Last edited by Tone; 04-01-2005, 05:35 AM.

Comment

This may be difficult for me to explain to full effect, but generally, when I was an athiest, my purpose was to deny God (and everyone who believed in any form of a God), and my purpose now as a christian is to worship God, and do evangelical work because of my previous experience as an athiest.

And they say God doesn't waste knowledge, how convenient... and I didn't realize I had a concrete purpose until I became a christian for the 2nd time.
                    Last edited by Bioture; 04-01-2005, 05:45 AM.
                    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                    TelCat> i dont

Comment

Sterilising hogo.

And spreading ilyaz's seed. ^-^
                      5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                      5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                      5: Da1andonly> =((
                      5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                      5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                      5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine
                        That's interesting because I always thought that my mission was to find the one special person to whom I would instill the necessary ability to attain the ultimate saucy potential...

okay, that made me laugh.
                        The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                        All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Yeah I guess I feel I have a set out purpose if thats what your asking. There are things I feel like I'm here to accomplish, but a lot of it is attitude.

But every once in a while, I want to just walk outside on a cold winters night, climb to the height of the tallest building around and shout "I WAS SENT BY GOD"

but all slow and cool like.
                          The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                          All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

to impregnate atleast fifteen chicks
                            :wub: GammaHydroxyButyrate :wub:

Comment

Originally posted by za gophar
                              or what if he decided to join al queda?
                              He might have had to wait a while?
                              SIGNATURE PROTEST: KEEP THE SHORT FFS

Comment

My purpose is to unite the universe and then probably chill as an immortal.
                                sage

Comment

Working...
                                X