Music Genres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Genres?

Despite TW community's constant fighting over who listens to the superior bands and types of music, there's one thing for certain, and that there's a huge variety of music that we listen to. I'm sure everyone has a few groups that they are especially more knowledgeable compared to others. I'm just wondering what kind of lines you draw to sort the bands into the numerous musical genres out there? Are people constantly coming up with new categorization methods to sort bands into groups? I've heard people using the term geek-rock for a band like Weezer (while other people may disagree), while Our Lady Peace is alt-rock. Groups like The Killers, Bloc Party, and Franz Ferdinand would be considered...? Some say pop-rock. I mean, would you group bands like Slipknot and Poison The Well together as the same genre? Just wondering what you guys think are the main groups, and if possible, name some of their subgroups as well. The reason I made this thread is that 1) I simply suck at categorizing groups into their specific genres. I mean I'd know the general group they are in, but based on today's specifics, it just doesn't cut it anymore, and 2) Its good for comparing a group to another band/group that is closely related to them music-wise.

Provide examples :turned:
    ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
    Failure teaches success.

Rock
    Dance
    Pop
    Rap
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

go here for examples and clips (Flash)

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

Comment

I like ska.
        Originally posted by turmio
        jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
        Originally posted by grand
        I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

I listen to many forms of rock (rock and roll), which may or may not include metal, classic rock (old metal), "geek rock", "thrash metal", "nu-metal", southern rock, "death/black metal", "doom metal", "symphonic metal", etc., etc. I just gotta rock out.

I also like Blues, Classical, Comedy, Classical Guitar, etc. I've also been known to dabble in some country/blue grass, but it has to be really good. . .

I hate sub-genres, I think they're a stupid thing that some cock sniffer made up so that he could say he listens to it to feel superior towards his friends. "Hey Bob, what's this?", *in a very snobbish tone*"Oh, this is geek-blues-flamenco-rap, you haven't heard of it? Surely, you jest? Are you that sheltered?" Bob is an asshole, stop hanging out with him.

My outlook is this:

If it's good, it's good, no matter what some dick thinks. Don't let someone else influence your opinions or beliefs with assbagged sub-genres or psuedo-expert knowledge of your music. Listen to what you like, and if your friends don't like that, castrate them for being assholes like Bob.

Edit: I totally avoided the subject, so I'll make this quick. The genres wrapped in quotations are stupid subgenres of rock and metal. Any genre not wrapped in a quote is one of what I think would be considered a "main group or genre". So yes, Poison the Well and Slipknot are the same, they're both metal. Although, I'm not a Well fan.
          Last edited by Riesen; 05-29-2005, 06:35 AM. Reason: I'm a insomniac/narcoleptic moron. . .my bads.

Comment

Some classical (or of that style) like powerful sounding music or movie soundtracks

Rock of various types, Hendrix, Oasis, Muse, Linkin Park, U2

What can be described as "classic" rock, The Who, The Kinks, The Clash, The Rolling Stones, anything beginning with the by the look of it

Some Blues songs but dont particulary know the artists :huh:

cant really think of what category the Gorillaz fall into, anyone help me out?
            Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
            oNe-t> YEAH
            nopcode> before going out
            funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

my collection has blues, classical, country, jazz, rap, classic/mainstream/indie/progressive rock, trace amounts of disco and techno, pop, punk, new age, video game, movie soundtrack, drum & bass, musical.
              Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
              apt>yes u can wtf
              apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
              apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
              apt>so i dont miss the toilet
              Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
              apt>na
              apt>ill show you pictures
              apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

music is cool
                can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

everything.

I like things that I like, not things that fall under a genre.

Right now, in my CD player is a mix with Underoath, Immortal Technique, Kelly Clarkson, and others on it.
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

I like anything but I tend to shy away from anything gangster rap because it usually sucks.

Comment

I don't like to think of music in terms of genres. There was a time when these classifications made sense as genres were more distinct, but in today's musical landscape, the only real categories that seem applicable to me anymore are "Music I Like" and "Music I Don't Like".

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                        I don't like to think of music in terms of genres. There was a time when these classifications made sense as genres were more distinct, but in today's musical landscape, the only real categories that seem applicable to me anymore are "Music I Like" and "Music I Don't Like".
                        couldn't agree more (i was gonna post something along those lines)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Peanuts
                          I like anything but I tend to shy away from anything gangster rap because it usually sucks.
                          agree, even though were trying to define genre here (i think), gangster rap is pointless
                          obsessed with the words motherfucker, pussy, bitch
                          might as well watch Billy Connely, at least its entertaining in the process
                          Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
                          oNe-t> YEAH
                          nopcode> before going out
                          funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                            I like ska.
                            And Punk
                            Only the loyal count.

Comment

it's human nature to categorize everything.

My personal opinion on music is that indie is a joke, especially mainstream indie. It's a catch 22.
                              it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Working...
                              X