American Sitcoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Sitcoms

In my Media Studies class I might start doing a report on the difference between the audience relationship between British and American sitcoms and how characters are represented. I've decided on using The Office for the British side but I don't know what to choose for an American sitcom. if you guys could list some of the American sitcoms you find funny and explain briefly what they're about it would be a brilliant lot of help (I don't watch TV much at all, and all I can think of is Friends - buggered if I'm doing that)

You answered your own question - look at the changes they made for the American version of The Office
    Originally posted by Facetious
    edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

yeah, I was originally going to do that but from what people told me today they used the same scripts but just changed the actors - unless I've been told wrong?

edit: besides, I think it would be easier to compare using two totally different texts

Comment

I haven't seen the American version yet, but I heard that only the first episode uses the same script. I could be dreadfully wrong.
        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

how about Cheers? even though its dated its a definate classic
          im sure you know what its about, everybody knows Cheers
          Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
          oNe-t> YEAH
          nopcode> before going out
          funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

Cheers is a great American sitcom from the late 80s early 90s.
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

i think seinfeld is by far the funniest american sitcom of the last couple decades. it centers around a bunch of extremely self-centered new yorkers, and every episode has a twisted, involved plot with some sort of turn at the end.
              5:gen> man
              5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

ejrgfthj5647

dammit, sorry i forgot to mention the fact it has to be first shown within the last couple years.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't use Will and Grace ,Dharma and Greg or Friends.

Try sitcoms like Everbody Loves Raymond, Seinfield, or Frasier.

Cheers owns <3 Norm, but Ted Danson just cant do it anymore. Pretty much anything on TV Land or Nick at Nite is good to watch, Sanford and Son (Redd Foxx was an awesome standup comedian), All in The Family, Coach, The Cosby Show, Threes Company (RIP John), and Rosanne (even though some may not agree).

Comment

i think you should use everybody loves raymond

Comment

Arrested Development.

Comment

last couple of years?
                        what abooooout.......... Scrubs?
                        set in a hospital but it is hilarious, guaranteed ^-^
                        Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
                        oNe-t> YEAH
                        nopcode> before going out
                        funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

okay, it's either

everybody loves raymond
                          arrested development
                          scrubs

think i might go for scrubs, as i haven't seen the other two. but i think i'll check them out anwyay

thanks anyway guys =)

Comment

um, i'm watching the Ameircan version of The Office and i can honestly say i is the worst, most depressingly unfunny so-called "comedy" i have ever seen. They've butchered it - Americanised it - making it lose it's everything that made the original so good

have any of you Americans seen this? Did you like it more than the original? If so, why?

edit: and why did they start it at the end of series 1? in my opinion some of the episodes in series one were the best (e.g. the Training Day episode). not to mention the fact that each episode is 20 minutes long. now this REALY doesn't work - half (?) the time the original episodes were - why did they do that? :/
                            Last edited by NaiLed; 06-17-2005, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Well it wouldn't be an american sitcom if it made people laugh now would it, american sitcoms = unfunny.

Talking to this guy a few weeks back (face to face) and he's going on about how great freinds is, I casually say "yeah but it's american humour" or something along those lines....the look of hate on his face, wow!

Comment

Working...
                              X