Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White House pissed that more TV shows include weed in their scripts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House pissed that more TV shows include weed in their scripts...

By Gary Strauss, USA TODAY Mon Aug 1, 7:01 AM ET

Is Hollywood going one toke over the line? Marijuana use is cropping up on some critically acclaimed shows, and anti-drug forces fear the glamorization of pot could boost its use among youths.

Who's lighting up:

• Pot is an ongoing theme on HBO's Entourage (Sundays, 10 ET/PT), which centers on a rising young movie star and his New York buddies who have gone Hollywood. Sunday's episode features two teens getting high at a bat mitzvah.

• Streetwise Maurice "Smoke" Williams (Kirk Jones) lit up on last week's premiere of Over There (Wednesdays, 10 ET/PT), FX's gritty
    Iraq war drama.

• Marijuana is the core premise of Showtime dramedy Weeds (Mondays, 10 ET/PT), a dark version of Desperate Housewives suburbia with
    Mary-Louise Parker as a pot-dealing soccer mom. In Sunday's special preview, a teen sells pot to grade-schoolers until Parker's character blackmails him to stop.

Recurring or episodic pot themes also have fueled HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm, FX's Rescue Me and Fox's That' 70s Show.

Hollywood's embellishment of marijuana use is "irresponsible," says Tom Riley of the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy.

Shows that tacitly approve of pot-smoking, particularly comedies, may exacerbate its use, says Steve Dnistrian of the Partnership for a Drug-Free America. "These are trendsetting shows. They affect behavior and attitudes, particularly teens. When glamorization of drugs has climbed, changes in teen attitudes followed."

HBO declined comment. But actor Jerry Ferrara, Entourage's pot-loving Turtle, says it's the drug of choice among twentysomethings. "The show doesn't condone it, but there's definitely a lot of accuracy in how it's used," he says.

Over There co-creator and executive producer Chris Gerolmo says the show's depiction of pot use is not an endorsement. Still, Gerolmo says "drug use is certainly part of life in the Army."

Weeds creator and executive producer Jenji Kohan says the series won't advocate drug use and doubts it will influence marijuana consumption. "We're presenting this as something that's everywhere and cuts across political, ethnic and religious lines."

Kevin Nealon, who co-stars in Weeds, says the show simply underscores pot's prevalence in society. "A lot of baby boomers are baby bongers," he says.

A 2003 study - the government's latest on drug use - found that 14.6 million Americans used pot at least once in the past month, up slightly from 2002. And more than 95 million have tried it.

"With so many having tried marijuana, it would be bizarre not to expect that reality wouldn't be depicted in films and on TV," says Bruce Mirken of the Marijuana Policy Project, the USA's largest pot-policy-reform group.
    I think what Bruce Mirken said in the last paragraph pretty much sums it up. Lots of people smoke weed. It's retarded to think Hollywood shouldn't include it in their scripts.

Here's a crazy idea...include logic in drug policy.

yeah they arent ever gonna make a true victory until they are honest
    Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
    apt>yes u can wtf
    apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
    apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
    apt>so i dont miss the toilet
    Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
    apt>na
    apt>ill show you pictures
    apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

if they legalised canabis, user numbers would go down, coz they would slap so much tax on it
      Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
      oNe-t> YEAH
      nopcode> before going out
      funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

Oh jesus christ what is it this week?

Seriously though, is it just me or will Conservative Americans never ever be happy?
        Originally posted by Tone
        Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Perhaps, but I think ppl would still homegrow, and how can you prove the weed is gov't regulated or whether it's homegrown?

Plus, it's easier for politicians to use it as a wedge issue and profit politically (via lobbyist contributions, and political/campaign strategies) by being against it. It's just a microcosm of why I get so annoyed with American politics. The argument is not honest. It's fueled by self-interest and greed, not the best interests of the people.

Edit: Was a reply to Scumbag

Comment

you pose a persuasive arguement there, there is no way to prove if its homegrown or not

unless they put some weird colour or chemical in the "legally produced" stuff to make it stand out, do anything to make more money as you said
            Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
            oNe-t> YEAH
            nopcode> before going out
            funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

This reminds me of the time one of my buddies dad got busted for having over 3 million dollars of pot on some small island in a lake. Other then that, just let people do what they want to do.. but they never will because they are making money busting people.

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
                Perhaps, but I think ppl would still homegrow, and how can you prove the weed is gov't regulated or whether it's homegrown?

EDIT:

I probably should read over things at 12 PM. I don't think you could prove if it was homegrown or not. I guess packaging would be the only way. I know there's a big "black market" for cigarettes which are not taxed. If you ever plan on going to the airport... they check them. I guess once the US Govn. finishes abusing it for political gain and "value" voters they'll have to figure out how well they could tax it. I don't know if it should be legalized or not, I guess with all drugs you have to measure the negitive effects on society as whole, I don't think the US Govn or even the Canadian Govn. did that to begin with.
                Last edited by Kolar; 08-02-2005, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Has Pot killed anyone yet?
                  Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                  sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

I've only heard of one news report about it, and even then, it was an initial report done the day after the guy died, so I am skeptical that there weren't other factors involved, like other drugs, or a heart anomoly, or something.

Even if it was just one guy, I think one in hundreds of years is really not a valid reason to consider something unsafe. More of a freak accident.

The more I think about it, I think it would be possible to regulate it. After all, I'd probably buy a "pack" of perfectly rolled joints instead for $20 bucks instead of waiting a few months to grow my own shit. The quality of the pro stuff would likely be better and more consistent than I could hope to do.

Also, you can already make your own beer with a few weeks worth of effort, and not many people do it. They'd rather just walk down to AmPm and pick up a 12 pack.

Comment

But also you have to remember, that if the government regulates it, you can't get LSD on it.

And that my friends, is no fun.
                      sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

What you know about the frizzle, DTF? :turned:

Comment

Originally posted by Savageee
                          3 million dollars
                          Not on the Dutch market I guess. Decriminalization of marijuana is the best thing you can do. I don't know alot of people that smoke -at least- more than one joint a month. The ones I do know to smoke more than one joint a week are mostly drugsaddicts anyway (using coke).
                          You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
                            What you know about the frizzle, DTF? :turned:
                            isweariknownothingnothingnothing

IT'S GOOD. 4 Words, Pink Floyd Light Show.

omgz.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerzera
                              Not on the Dutch market I guess. Decriminalization of marijuana is the best thing you can do. I don't know alot of people that smoke -at least- more than one joint a month. The ones I do know to smoke more than one joint a week are mostly drugsaddicts anyway (using coke).

Agreed.
                              The legalization of Marijuana over here in the Netherlands hasn't caused any problems whatsoever. Quite the opposite in fact.
                              Some people seem to think the Netherlands are some kind of drug paradise, because of our progressive policy, but that's a very stereotypical view.

I don't know a single person who abuses Marijuana, and goes around causing trouble. On the news, I never hear about criminal incidents involving Marijuana users. The same can't be said for alcohol, which in my opinion is a FAR more dangerous substance.
                              Last edited by Fallen Angel; 08-03-2005, 05:32 PM.
                              There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
                              X