Religion Question ( oh no not again )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion Question ( oh no not again )

I recently started reading Dante's Inferno, and for those of you who don't know, it's about a guy (Dante) being lead through and shown the different levels (circles) of hell. The first circle is limbo, which is reserved for people who were born before christianity and for those who were not baptized.

Here's the thing, and it wil be pretty obvious in a second. I've never been baptized. No, this book didn't make me emo cry in a corner, but I'm wondering if it states in the bible somewhere that you seriously have to be baptized, or else you're going to hell. I just don't see the logic in sending someone to hell (even if it's limbo, hell is hell) just because they were born before christianity started, or because they were never baptized. That means you could do nothing but good in your life and still only hope to reach limbo? Spider, 1ight, Disliked, one of you peeps please respond. Thanks :wub:
    Last edited by Liquid Blue; 10-23-2005, 10:23 AM.
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

No you dont.

Topic closed...

Comment

Ah so this is what my parents pay all that money for.

Yes, you have to be baptized to go directly to heaven, so says the Catholic church. But there are exceptions. Theres baptism's of blood, AKA Martyrs. There's baptism of another faith, AKA you believe something else, but still do good in the world and thus go to heaven (think Ghandy.) And then there's baptism of ignorance, AKA people who don't know, or never learn Jesus' message, but still live a good life, and thus recieve the gift of heaven. I might be forgetting one or two of these clauses, but there are exceptions. If you are not baptized, but you live a good life, then according to the Catholic church, you head to purgatory, where you sit there waiting to realize your faith, at which time you are judged, and if you did great in purgatory, it's off to heaven. If you didn't do so hot, it's off to hell.

Hope that provides a little insight, I too am not baptized, so this has always been a thing of curiosity for me too.

Oh and btw, Dante's commonly accepted view of hell could very well be wrong. Dante was a mortal just like you and I, and what he was doing was writing a work of fiction. No one really knows what hell looks like.
      Originally posted by Tone
      Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Isn't the different levels of hell a Catholic thing too? I'm not too sure about that one.
        Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
        1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
        1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
        1:Chao <ER>> at all
        1:Mantra-Slider> chao
        1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
        Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
        Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

I wasnt baptised either, funny because everyone else in my family was. My sisters used to bug me about it, say stuff like "you're going to hell"...ahh memories.

we should start some sort of squad.

Dibs on captain
          I really do like pie

Aos> im a freelance Gynecologist

GHB>I AM ANGRY ON THE INTERNETf

Matchbot1> You can't challenge your own squad, silly :P

Comment

Certain denominations have their own views on it. Catholocism at least holds that hell is for all the sinners and unbaptized (the unbaptized may go to limbo if they led a wonderful life, or just merely sit in the outmost circle of hell). I started reading The Inferno last year around this time but other reading got in the way. Tell me how you like it when you're done.
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

By "wonderful life" did u mean they were really good people, or were the people who had it all.

Comment

Isn't the hell a stupid thing that was actually suppose to scare people into acting correctly, instead of actually learning from their mistakes?

"Evil is an ABSTRACT! It's a HUMAN construct! But true to his irresponsible nature, Man won't own up to being it's engineer."

Yeah it is. Go fuck yourself.

If you believe that getting some water thrown on your head (or you being dunked in a pool of holy water) makes you more or less of a good person then you are idiotic.

"It's not about BELIEVING. It's about having an idea."

Dogma, in a really strange way, sort of made me a believer in God again. Not as the one and Holy Creator, but as just someone who is an symbol of love and all that is good in the world. He (or She/It, according to Dogma), does not hate, is not revengeful, and is not a being of violence. She is a being of acceptance and tranquilty. You don't need dogmatic law or divine mandate to live your life, you just need to realize that a being of love should be recognized as such.
                Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
                  Isn't the hell a stupid thing that was actually suppose to scare people into acting correctly, instead of actually learning from their mistakes?

"Evil is an ABSTRACT! It's a HUMAN construct! But true to his irresponsible nature, Man won't own up to being it's engineer."

Yeah it is. Go fuck yourself.

If you believe that getting some water thrown on your head (or you being dunked in a pool of holy water) makes you more or less of a good person then you are idiotic.

"It's not about BELIEVING. It's about having an idea."

Dogma, in a really strange way, sort of made me a believer in God again. Not as the one and Holy Creator, but as just someone who is an symbol of love and all that is good in the world. He (or She/It, according to Dogma), does not hate, is not revengeful, and is not a being of violence. She is a being of acceptance and tranquilty. You don't need dogmatic law or divine mandate to live your life, you just need to realize that a being of love should be recognized as such.
                  I totally agree with you. The last part is sorta like Hinduism without the karma system.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue
                    Spider, 1ight, Disliked, one of you peeps please respond. Thanks :wub:
                    --^

EDIT: Man I tried to quote it and ended up editing the damn first post. I'm such a newb.
                    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

what other ppls anwsers aren't good enough for you -_-

anyways i was baptised in the catholic church but i never had a comformation or went to mass (church service) either.

so i don't know where that would leave me lol

but as the fact i don't go to church, don't believe in jesus as the son of god and don't believe in heaven or hell i guess that is the least of my worries if the universe was a big joke and catholicism actual true.
                      In my world,
                      I am King

sigpic

Comment

I believe Christians need to be baptized to go to Heaven, because for Christians there is no Purgatory at all. I haven't been baptized but 'm going to talk to Abby about it, she has been I think, can't remember at the moment.

But when it comes to Christians, every book 've read they always describe someone who repents in church getting baptized then and there.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
                        .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Many people are baptized on their death beds, just in case.
                          Originally posted by Tone
                          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

only time ive been to church was to go to a wedding, funeral, watch someone else being baptised and do a nativity play at primary school

Comment

Like I've said before, I don't believe in hell for a load of reasons (one of which being your 'what about those who don't know'). I believe baptism is a sign of cleansing your sins and showing that you're willing to live a life with Jesus. Of course, I could be wrong and please enlighten me if I am (looking at you 1ight).

Furthermore, I'm going to be baptised in January. I was christened after I was born but I was forced into it back then.
                              Last edited by Superted; 10-24-2005, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X