No announcement yet.

Brazil votes on a gun ban this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of all the people I know, there are only a few that I would feel comfortable around if I knew that they had a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar
      ....if no one owns a gun save for the police, then you'll have no use for it to protect youself.
      Actually, the ironic part is in Brazil's favellas, the vast majority of residents trust the drug dealers with guns more than they trust the police.

They mentioned this in the CNN article, but also, if you watch the DVD extras in the movie City of God, the former police chief mentions this phenomena. (and this was the real guy, not an actor, or a character)

Basically, the cops who police the favellas are corrupt, and they fuck with people and beat them, and the drug dealers actually put a lot of the drug money back into their own communities.

Don't get me wrong, I know the police are still supposedly the "good guys" and the drug dealers are still the "bad guys", but this basically reveals a very broken system. Taking away guns is only a first step of a dozen changes that would need to be made in order to improve conditions. If they take guns away, and leave it at that...the plan will be a miserable failure.

Comment

Those darn Brazillians!

3:Mega Newbie> bam ashlee whats wrong taking nude pictures???
        3:Mega Newbie> its an art!!!!!!!!
        3:Mega Newbie> only jealous girls and gays dont like it!!

-

1:megaman89> WOW IF U WERE TRAPPED IN A FIRE I WOULD RUN AND SAVE U ASH
        1:Cape> then ud throw her back when she says she still isnt givin it up

-

tim> .?squad tim
        BAM__ Ashl> ?squad tim
        Squad: timo<3ashlee

-

MODERATOR WARNING: bam__ Ashlee is a sex machine -Mithrandia <ER>

Comment

walking with a gun is already ILEGAL here in brazil
          we voted to people have the rigth to buy a gun to defend themselves!!
          u can have a gun in your home to self defense
          and u can walk with a gun only if someone want to kill u or something like that
          AND LOOK THAT
          HOMICIDE STATISTICS
          CONTRY------IN 100 THOUSAND OF PEOPLE-------DOMICILES WITH GUNS
          Brazil-------------------27---------------------------------3,5%
          USA---------------------6---------------------------------52%(WOW)
          Canada------------------3---------------------------------30%

LOOOOOOOOOL 52%

Comment

I don't know about other countries, but the home ownership/home defense stats do not really support allowing guns in homes.

Given the US stats for 2004, a person was 44 TIMES more likely to shoot someone in their family than a home intruder with thier gun.

I often wonder how many of the people who buy guns for 'defense' actually consider buying a security system instead?

I often wonder if the people who call out the 'right of the people to form a militia' consider that the weapons we are allowed to own are not going to be of any use against the military if the government decides to move against it's own people.

Comment

I own a lot of guns.

Comment

Pff Ephemeral has already siad what i was thinking as i was reading this :P

but anyway i agree, i think that ppl who buy guns for self defense for no other reason than they might be burgled or attacked are buying a false sense of secruity.

If robbers assume the occupent has a gun, they won't take many chances and would be more likley to shoot before thinking. If guns are outlawed and the occupent has a bat or something and the robber a gun then they are more likley to show it in a confrontation , take what they want and leave ... without bloodshed. Of course this wouldn't always happen but in most cases it would.

As for muggers the same applies and a mugger will have the jump on you, how would you get your gun out before they pulled the trigger? its not like the wild west.

So who are you defending yourself from exactly?

Now if something bad happens like you crack up and lose your temper after finding your wife shagging the mail man when you come home early the gun is to often the answer. This type of thing is surely alot more common than catching a serial rapist sneaking into your house to get your family.
                In my world,
                I am King

sigpic

Comment

yeah.

i voted no to the prohibition of buying fire guns.

and no won.

i voted it mainly because i think we have a paradox

make the world more safe ? X removing another right from the citizen.

also in lots of countries that this kind of law came once of a sudden, ppl were much more easily dominated. like urss (russia), angola, china, guatemala, cambodja, and...

if you are saying oh those countries, bah. no 1 care about them.

so remember germany in weimer republic.

also, i personaly believe, we gonna have some big shit here in south america in next decades. extreme left radicalists are getting more organized. we got lots of social problems here ready to explode.

i smell another big red revolution.

brazil ? hm....

well, in my opinion that was an attempt to remove guns from citizen to make'em more easy to dominate. so, no and fuck off.
                  8:I Hate Cookies> a gota dágua foi quando falei q eu tinha 38 anos e estava apaixonado por uma garota, mas a família dela n deixava agente namorar
                  8:I Hate Cookies> aí quando todo mundo me apoiou falando q o amor supera tudo, falei q a garota tinha 12 anos
                  8:I Hate Cookies> aí todos mudaram repentinamente de opinião falando q eu era um pedófilo
                  8:AnImoL> esses amigos falsos
                  8:SCHOPE NORRIS> o amor supera tudo. da até pra esperar a puberdade
                  8:I Hate Cookies> sim... fiquei desiludido schope...

Comment

Originally posted by Evasive
                    shit

now I can't go to Brazil and shoot:

zannatti, desktop, schope, mega newbie

Evasive <ER>> I do bouquet in zannatti

pwn'd
                    8:I Hate Cookies> a gota dágua foi quando falei q eu tinha 38 anos e estava apaixonado por uma garota, mas a família dela n deixava agente namorar
                    8:I Hate Cookies> aí quando todo mundo me apoiou falando q o amor supera tudo, falei q a garota tinha 12 anos
                    8:I Hate Cookies> aí todos mudaram repentinamente de opinião falando q eu era um pedófilo
                    8:AnImoL> esses amigos falsos
                    8:SCHOPE NORRIS> o amor supera tudo. da até pra esperar a puberdade
                    8:I Hate Cookies> sim... fiquei desiludido schope...

Comment

Working...
                    X