Football more exciting than crappy USA sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football more exciting than crappy USA sports

Thats the finding of some USA scientists who made an "upset" the prime factor for excitement and compared football to USA sports of ice hockey, American football, baseball and basketball.

The results of the analysis showed that the "upset frequency" was highest for soccer, followed by baseball, hockey, and basketball. American football came last on the list, and so was labelled the least exciting sport.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4581374.stm

Worth noting that in the last 10 years Baseball switches with (England league) football, no doubt due to the vast money difference that has cropped up between clubs makeing it less competitive in the last decade.
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

british people report: the sport british people like is the best sport! shocker! (edit: im not fooled by the fact that us scientists figured this out, it really doesnt appear that the los alamos national laboratory typically studies any sort of social science)

personally, i think soccer is boring, not because i feel that there are less upsets, but because i am excited by scoring. a nice pass that doesnt end up really benefitting the team doesnt excite me so much. in addition, i will be damned if i waste an hour and a half of my life watching a game that ends in a fucking tie.

clearly, its fun to make fun of the sports other countries like, i tell zeus, etc. that soccer sucks all the time. the truth of the matter is that watching sports is a huge waste of time no matter what sport you watch, and if you watch enough of almost any sport, you can get into it. i agree that objectively, nascar is extremely boring for 90% of most races, but since i used to watch it a lot as a kid, and know a lot about the drivers, teams, and whatnot, i can get fairly worked up over a nascar race. that said, having a study that proves that soccer is more exciting than other sports is pretty dumb, especially when the people that ran the study already like soccer best to begin with. (american) football has the least upsets? based on what? our football has a lot of parity in the league, almost any team can beat any other team, so id say that means it has a lot of upsets. that study, i assume, has a different definition of upset than i do.
    Last edited by Facetious; 01-06-2006, 09:33 AM.
    5:gen> man
    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

There's only one thing I find more boring than football, and that's watching people talk about football.

I enjoy watching ice hockey but the only time it's on T.V. is like 2am on a Saturday (or used to be) so I rarely watch it.

Comment

you've got to take it light hearted when the only thing they go by for excitement factor is upsets.

People find different things exciting which is one reason why some prefer different sports.

I did find it interesting that football provided more upsets, but not that surprising given the fact it is a lower scoring game compared to the rest.

On anoter note i've no idea why you couldn't be satisfied with a draw.
        In my world,
        I am King

sigpic

Comment

i suppose theres some relief in your team not losing, but "some relief" doesnt exactly compare to the excitement of your team winning.

Comment

there can be alot of different feelings about a draw.

When Ireland draw vs a much bigger and better footballing country i can feel proud and its like a win for them.

If you draw against a lesser team you can think that justice was done as your team was below par and didn't deserve to win on the day and they need a kick up the arse to play better.

You can feel robbed over a dodgy penalty decision or a ruled out goal or been back to the wall defending and lucky to escape with a draw.

In cups they don't have draws but in the league it makes it alot better and fairer.

I think its just a concept that Americans who follow their sports are unused too and so latch on that if its a draw its boring. Thats not true, some games can be boring but not draw=boring and anyways the boring ones make the exciting ones all the better
            In my world,
            I am King

sigpic

Comment

Maybe, if they based it on the rediculous wednesday match.. fuck wenger 5 man midfield play for the draw piece of shit.
              LoPIST> i have tons of leet freinds

Comment

Originally posted by Facetious
                watching sports is a huge waste of time no matter what sport you watch
                This had to be pointed out ^-^
                A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

The research was done by USA scientists not Britisch face, they went to Britain for the soccer research.

If you really like football, goals isn't the most important thing when watching football, seeing players like Ronaldinho, Bergkamp, Zidane, etc.. in other words seeing ball artists play that can already be exciting, certainly if you have played football yourself you can appreciate a beautiful action, a beautiful pass. Next to that in football you still have the referees and linesmen playing a BIG part in the matches, wich can also be exciting, and sure I bitch about them alot, but it's part of the game in the end, it's part of the charm.

Now for me, I have watched some American Football and some Baseball games, and they bore me to tears.. Ice Hockey could be kind of interesting if I got into it, but I don't know that. What I also dislike about baseball is the arrogant attitude of America, thinking that their baseball league is the worldcup, you are just afraid to sent an American Team and lose to Cuba or whatever. Your League is a league and nothing more.
                  Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

i'm pretty sure i'd want to die if football didn't exist

Comment

for the record, in all my posts im referring to "american football" as football, and soccer as soccer.

i know you guys cum on yourselves for plays that dont result in scoring, i just rarely like a game that only has a couple scores, that goes for football and soccer. i hate low scoring football games, and i bet i would enjoy a soccer game that was 7-6. thats primarily why i dont enjoy soccer, but my point was that you can get into any sport, no matter how dull, if the people youre watching with care about it, and you learn a lot about the players and teams. i personally think a game that has a lot of scoring is better, and i think draws are pretty stupid. you guys can not think that, but it doesnt make your game any better or worse. its ludicrous to try to say that one pasttime is scientifically better than any other. ill make fun of your lame game that is 90 minutes long but only has 30 seconds of highlights, but im not going to try to tell you that youd be better off if you watched some other sport that i like better.

as for the researchers, if they went to britain for soccer research when their jobs are about national security in the US, i would venture to say that they are soccer fans who put out a stupid report using their notoriety to promote soccer, and of course other soccer fans would eat that up and thump their chests about it.

as far as baseball, are you referring to the world baseball classic and the fact that we dont want cuba to play? i dont think its because the american team is afraid of losing, thats ridiculous.
                      Last edited by Facetious; 01-06-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

You know what sport is exciting? Chess. So fun. Make your damn move you bastard Pressure Drop. Stop with the I luv Man-U.

Just kidding. Is it my move? If it is, I take it all back. Go Man-U.

Comment

Yeah it was your move Geekbot :P unless you sent it and i never got it

you whooped me in the first one so we were going to start the second, i still got the file on my other computer if you want me to send it.

Was busy getting drunkified and was a away over christmass a bit and forgot about e-mails >< things are back to normal now though if you want to start again.
                          In my world,
                          I am King

sigpic

Comment

Liverpool-AC Milan CF Final

Science aside, you're probably going to find the sport you've grown up with more exiciting.

Comment

The only sport I have slight interest in watching is soccer, and that's because I played it for 8 years or so. I don't think sports are interesting to watch unless you've played them, but that's just me. Football is ok to watch sometimes, but when I watch it, it's more like watching a movie with your friends- I would have alot less fun if I did it on my own. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the social aspect of watching a sport is more valuable than actually watching the sport, at least to some folks (myself included).

EDIT: And no, I didn't see Nockm's post before I posted, I didn't even scroll all the way down the topic. He's right, though.
                              My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X