• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nickname
    I DOUBT GOD WOULD APPROVE!!!!
    'Thou shall tip more than 50p to a lapdancer?'

Heh, it was before I found God.

Comment

I have never even thought about tipping someone behind a bar... I've never personally seen it happen in England. Me (my family) would tip if we went on holiday abroad and had a meal, and would tip if we went to an Indian restuarant for example (something a little more fancy). But for a standard meal at the pub or whatever i wouldnt tip.

edit: i also tip whoever cuts my hair 50p, which is enough i feel as the hair cut costs £9.50 already!
      Last edited by unrealistic; 03-02-2006, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I tip taxis and resturants and bar staff, but per drink... no way. With price of alcohol in the UK being as it is and the fact i live in a well known "night life" city, i dont want each drink to cost a fiver+.
        Reinstate Sarien
        ph> AND THEN ME AND THE PLOINKIES WILL HEAD DOWN TO THE LOCAL CRUFFER FOR TEA AND WONKETS

Hal Wilker> Need I look recall the statement? And Suh.. control ya ho

"no, it's Monday, which of course means it's ethnic day, so ill be going with Rosalita"

Comment

Suh gets tips herself from the bartenders. :fear:
          Kakka> <3333333333
          missa> do i want to <3 you after you banged a donkey?

Comment

i hate tipping, its bullshit

though my friend tips a pretty barmaid or "buys the bartender a drink" (ie. give atip worth the price of a drink) at the start to get served more quicky.

I just called him a flash bastard and cue for like 20 mins to get drink as the bartenders serve all the pretty girls before me
            In my world,
            I am King

sigpic

Comment

In europe it's different. But in America bartenders/waiters rely on tips to support them. Waiters/Bartenders make $2.13 an hour + tips, and even the tips are taxed so the next time your at a bar, think about all the work they have to do and leave em a few bucks or else you will get your food and drinks spit in. Whenever I go out to eat, if I get good service I generally leave 20-25% tip, and if it's bad service I tell them why im leaving them 10%. If I go out to a bar and I order a beer which is like 1.25 or so, I will leave the bartender the change on two dollars, if it a pitcher is like 7-8 dollars, I will leave the bartender the change from the ten. It's just the proper thing to do, because these guys basically get paychecks for two weeks for 0 dollars, the only money they make is from credit/cash tips.
              Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by wark <ER>
                In europe it's different. But in America bartenders/waiters rely on tips to support them. Waiters/Bartenders make $2.13 an hour + tips, and even the tips are taxed so the next time your at a bar, think about all the work they have to do and leave em a few bucks or else you will get your food and drinks spit in. Whenever I go out to eat, if I get good service I generally leave 20-25% tip, and if it's bad service I tell them why im leaving them 10%. If I go out to a bar and I order a beer which is like 1.25 or so, I will leave the bartender the change on two dollars, if it a pitcher is like 7-8 dollars, I will leave the bartender the change from the ten. It's just the proper thing to do, because these guys basically get paychecks for two weeks for 0 dollars, the only money they make is from credit/cash tips.
                I disagree to me the PROPER thing would be for the bars to pay them a decent wage ... and not have them rely on tips as a wage. It seems fine for these places to underpay there staff becuase there is an understanding that you will chip in on their behalf, thats stupid ... raise the prices of drinks, pay the staff a fair wage and take the obligation of you to tip them.

Is it proper to have the threat of them spitting in your food if you don't tip them the next time you come back as you seem to suggest?

There are a ton of shit jobs a lot worse than being a bartender you don't tip for and they get paid crap too, for me a tip should be only for people who provide exceptional service or do something beyond their job role and not as a given, also the impetus should be on the management to give them a bonus to try and keep good staff rather than you tipping them.

It all seems the wrong way round? Why are you feeling obligated to pay someones wages directly out of your pocket rather than their employers ???
                In my world,
                I am King

sigpic

Comment

That's a chicken and the egg kind of argument. People already tip as a custom in North America and bartenders, as well as other wait staff in some cases, make much more money in tips than they do in wages. Some bartenders I've spoken to say they don't really care about the wage because they make so much more in tips. The alternative is, as you pointed out, to raise the price of drinks which, as a consumer, I wouldn't like to see. I'd rather see cheaper prices for drinks where I can pay more if I feel the service merits it than pay a higher price for drinks across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by genocidal
                    I got paid $3.16 as a server so yeah, tips mean a lot. The bartenders did get paid a bit more, though. Maybe like minimum wage, I can't remember.
                    My shady russian friend works as a bartender and since he's like 18 and it's a private club he works for like $2/hr, but if you figured tips in and averaged it he makes like $10/hr

makes me want to become a bartender
                    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

yeah in europe dont bartenders and waiters get a living wage and health insurance?

i agree with tk, i like the ability to tip someone a lot who does a great job and not tip very much for someone who sucks and needs to find a new job.
                      5:gen> man
                      5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome
                        My shady russian friend works as a bartender and since he's like 18 and it's a private club he works for like $2/hr, but if you figured tips in and averaged it he makes like $10/hr

makes me want to become a bartender
                        I just calculated my shit out and I was wrong - I was paid $2.16. With tips though I averaged about $12/hr - but I had to work 45 hour weeks.

Comment

It depends on various factors like others have said. How busy the bar is and how quickly you get your drink...How friendly the bartender is...What kind of drink it is---if it's a simple beer, I will tip less than if I order a mixed drink that requires several steps and several ingredients to assemble. If it's a complicated drink---like a blended top shelf margarita, Long Island, or a layered Mudslide---I'll leave a dollar per.

But if it's just a beer:

Comment

Working...
                          X