RNC? Honoring little ol' me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNC? Honoring little ol' me?

So I came into work this morning, and saw that I had a voice mail message on my phone. I immediately thought it was someone having a problem with their computer earlier in the morning, and kind of dreaded what awaited me as I checked the message. What it ended up being, shocked me.

It was the Republican National Committee, and the message told me that they were honoring me as an Outstanding Local Businessman (something like that). The woman ended the message saying that I should call back a toll-free number to "work up a press release."

So I'm completely shocked. I'm not a Republican by any means, nor have I ever been associated with the Republican party or really any of their ideals, for that matter. I started laughing, and called over my buddy across the hallway to come take a listen to the message. He started laughing as well.

"Call it!" he said. "Maybe they think you're some other guy! It'll be a great story!"

It took me about five minutes to collect myself and dial the toll-free number. Another woman answered, and I politely told her who I was and that I was returning Janet Lane's phone call. The woman told me that she could handle my call (not surprisingly enough, it sounded like a call center in the background--lots of phone conversations going on) and told me that I was being honored as a Outstanding Local Businessman by the Republican National Committee. As my reward, I would dine with the President at some dinner and make fantasticulous business contacts at said dinner, not to mention seeing the All-Knowing President of the United States.

At this point, I almost started laughing, but kept it James Dean-cool. Apparently, in addition to my "Night with Mr. President," I'd also receive a solid walnut gavel, and some sort of framed picture with the President. Ooooooooooh! A gavel, you say? I've ALWAYS wanted a gavel!

But then came the rub. "At this point," the woman on the other end of the line rattled on, "we'd like to ask for your financial support for the Republican party. Five hundred dollars is the normal donation amount..." I cut her off. "Sorry, I'm really not interested in donating to the RNC at this point in time."

"Well sir, I understand that five hundred dollars is a lot for such short notice. Perhaps something in the range of one hundred to two hundred?" she replied.

"No thanks. I'm really not in the position to be handing out hundreds of dollars today." I said.

"Oh," she said. She sounded dejected like I had just told her that her singing voice sucked. "Perhaps something less than a hundred?"

"Sorry, I'm really just not willing to make a contribution."

"Okay then. Thank you very much and..." and then rattled on into a schpiel about how this call was made from the Republican National Committee but was not affiliated with any particular politician. She then promptly hung up.

I died laughing. Is this what the Republicans have been reduced to? Cold-calling people and making them feel like they've "won" something, only to turn around and panhandle for money? Is this their strong constituency? Gullible people? Plain-ass ridiculous.
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

That's hillarious. At first, I thought it was a boiler room scam by grifters pretending to be the RNC, but no. That's gotta be the real one.

It's fucking priceless, though. Have you thought about contacting NPR, NY Times or some other journalists? This would make a pretty good story, to know this is how they operate.

Comment

What a shame, you could have donated the money, met the pres, and slapped him in the face, winning the hearts of everyone across the world.

Comment

I got those calls a lot after subscribing to NewsMax magazine.
        I finally got irate with them and demanded they remove my number from their data base. They'd also give some presidential bling... like I got.. a calendar of the pres & wife.. and portrait of the two to put on my fireplace mantel. I got an offer to have my name engraved on a(?) Reagan memorial... all kinds of shit that tugs at ones ego in the local community. (..and as i write this.. i'm getting an overwhelming sense of deja-vu... and even deja-vu of having deja-vu... )... anyways... Fuck 'em all (politicians). they're all on the same side...

Comment

All parties do it, Republican, Democratic, Green, Independant, etc...

I don't see why you're surprised, its just one of many ways people raise money for campaigns, by having banquets and formal dinners and inviting several businesses and workers within it. Don't be so honored, offended, or in awe as it is a complete norm in any party when trying to raise money.
          Last edited by Blueblaze; 01-12-2007, 06:03 PM.
          May my ambition be, more love of Christ to thee.

Comment

And it's more than polictical parties, it includes the 'Who's Who' people. You get a call saying they want to you to be mentioned in the 2007 'Who's Who' book and then it turns out to be a panhandle.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueblaze View Post
              All parties do it, Republican, Democratic, Green, Independant, etc...
              Possibly so, but then again, I've never had this happen to me before. Ever. Not by Democrats or Independents.
              I don't see why your supprised, its just one of many ways people raise money for campaigns, by having banquets and formal dinners and inviting several businesses and workers within it. Don't be so honored, offended, or in awe as it is a complete norm in any party when trying to raise money.
              I'm "supprised" because it's so disingenuous. There was never really any "honoring" going on. I'm not really invited to any dinner, nor will I ever receive my special gavel or picture. They never planned on giving me anything. If they had been straightforward and had been like "this is the RNC, and we're looking for donations--you'll get a sticker of George Bush giving a thumbs up in front of an American flag," I wouldn't have ever posted this.

It's the fact that the award was obviously ficticious that got my goat.

Comment

Oh, hey, let's run a little test. I'm going to post the phone number--someone call and say you're returning Janet Lane's phone call.

The number is 866-338-8289. Record it if at all possible. Could make for an entertaining thread.

Comment

Sorry for the triple post, but I had another thing to add. I forget if political calls are covered under the National Do Not Call List... anyone know?

EDIT - Just looked. Apparently political calls are exempt. Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd View Post
                    Possibly so, but then again, I've never had this happen to me before. Ever. Not by Democrats or Independents.

I'm "supprised" because it's so disingenuous. There was never really any "honoring" going on. I'm not really invited to any dinner, nor will I ever receive my special gavel or picture. They never planned on giving me anything. If they had been straightforward and had been like "this is the RNC, and we're looking for donations--you'll get a sticker of George Bush giving a thumbs up in front of an American flag," I wouldn't have ever posted this.

It's the fact that the award was obviously ficticious that got my goat.
                    You've never had the Republicans call you until today either (or whenever this call was). As well, depending on where you live effects who calls you, as obviously political parties target specific areas. You have never received a call from an Independent or another third-party because they simply don't have a very large campaigning base. As well, you never what an honor you would have received because you never donated, therefore you cannot assume this is a hoax by any means. Also, I'll pass for recording even though I must admit, my cellphone has a neat feature which allows it.

For future references, just edit your post and add more information rather than posting multiple times. Editing is appropriate if no one has replied to the post yet.

Comment

You've never had the Republicans call you until today either (or whenever this call was). As well, depending on where you live effects who calls you, as obviously political parties target specific areas. You have never received a call from an Independent or another third-party because they simply don't have a very large campaigning base. As well, you never what an honor you would have received because you never donated, therefore you cannot assume this is a hoax by any means. Also, I'll pass for recording even though I must admit, my cellphone has a neat feature which allows it.

For future references, just edit your post and add more information rather than posting multiple times. Editing is appropriate if no one has replied to the post yet.
                      A ) Stick to starting threads about your religion. It's obviously your forte.

B ) Perhaps your argument would be more convincing if it actually made sense. "As well, you never what an honor you would have received because you never donated, therefore you cannot assume this is a hoax by any means." What?

C ) Please don't tell me how to post--see my join date? I've got a good four years on you, Billy Bob. I understood what I did, and each post was a new thought. I fully understand the use of the "edit" button.

Comment

Are you seriously teaching an ex-forum admin how to edit his posts?

EDIT : Bah, Concrete beat me. I'm tempted to call the number, but my cold is so bad I'm unintelligible over the phone.
                        Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                        1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                        1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                        1:Chao <ER>> at all
                        1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                        1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                        Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                        Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

A ) Stick to starting threads about your religion. It's obviously your forte.

B ) Perhaps your argument would be more convincing if it actually made sense. "As well, you never what an honor you would have received because you never donated, therefore you cannot assume this is a hoax by any means." What?

C ) Please don't tell me how to post--see my join date? I've got a good four years on you, Billy Bob. I understood what I did, and each post was a new thought. I fully understand the use of the "edit" button.
                          I won't address the possible hypothetical senselessness if I replied to the off-topic issue. The point is though if it was Democrats calling you and you didn't want to give money, you wouldn't have posted this at all.

Comment

And I'm telling you that that's bullshit. I'm not a Democrat. I'm an independent voter, and truly vote for whomever is better suited for the job (or the lesser of two evils, as the case usually comes down to that).

I posted this because it was disingenuous (as I stated before... please look up the word if it confused you). I don't care if Dennis Kucinich himself called me up and told me he was honoring me with the National Badass Motherfucker of the Year award and was flying me to Barbados for a fun-filled weekend of doing bong loads with hot chicks... if the call would've ended with me having to fork over cash, the outcome would've been the same.

Comment

And I'm telling you that that's bullshit. I'm not a Democrat. I'm an independent voter, and truly vote for whomever is better suited for the job (or the lesser of two evils, as the case usually comes down to that).

I posted this because it was disingenuous (as I stated before... please look up the word if it confused you). I don't care if Dennis Kucinich himself called me up and told me he was honoring me with the National Badass Motherfucker of the Year award and was flying me to Barbados for a fun-filled weekend of doing bong loads with hot chicks... if the call would've ended with me having to fork over cash, the outcome would've been the same.
                              If you can create such an indignation over someone asking you for money, then when a serious problem comes, no telling what sort of response you will give.

Comment

Working...
                              X