Philosophies On Consciousness/Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kontrolz View Post
    In order for something to exist it must be perceived.
    Not true. You might be accidentally bastardizing concepts about human ideas and action (i.e. in order to act, one must decide, perceive a goal, etc). Human consciousness is subjective, but "subjective" is merely a take on a thing - the thing, therefore, has to exist outside of our consciousness. If we weren't rooted in some concrete existence, there would be no... precedence, for what we perceive.

In order for something to be perceived there must be a "perceiver". In order for that perceiver to exist though there must be another perceiver perceiving it.
    Once again, you're misusing the term 'perceive'. What you think, what every human knows is merely the result of how, biologically, our minds have evolved. We think the way we do because of the way the synapses and molecules and et cetera, interact. That is to say, consciousness and therefore human perception is an entirely human concept. You can't equate human perception to our objective reality.

It will continue in that loop to infinity. Unless you use the liar paradox's self-reference to say, I exist because I perceive myself, but that is a known logical paradox.
    There is no "unless". We exist because we think we exist. There was existence before perception (does metal "perceive"? it's been around way longer than humans.) I can't tell you when being begun, when clumps of molecules grouped together and formed the first basic cell (or whatever came first)... but ever since then, life has evolved to better grasp, and to more accurately perceive, reality. Touch, sight, sense, taste, smell - all evolved out of necessity because there was a reality, and we as organic creatures strived to define our basic environment.

Using that logic to me it is obvious that the only reality you can ever really "know" is the one inside your head. If that is true then there is no difference between truly believing something and something "actually existing". So if you truly believed you could fly, then you would. Even IF there was an objective reality, in your head you'd be flying and it would be as real as anything you've ever experienced (although you might look insane to someone else assuming there is an objective reality).
    Here you then invalidate your argument, because you make the statement that since reality isn't real, humans could fly if we thought we could. But, since humans obviously can't just literally think themselves into flight, you negate yourself, logically. (I still understand where you're coming from, though).

The basic laws that we have discovered about reality make any sort of artifical reality impossible, since we all abide by them. For one: time. The fact that you perceive time negates the assumption that you are not the product of some objective reality - because then you couldn't perceive - since the world that hypothetically exists is a product of your own mind, there is nothing to discover. There would be no need for "life", for what you are doing right now. You would be... God. You would have no actions because you would have no needs, because needs are the result of perceiving your body. I think that more than anything, time is what connects us to reality. Because time is a necessary requirement, and also a product of, an objective and uniform reality. And since all matter abides by time and is shaped by time, including human consciousness, I like to conclude that it is also a true link to a concrete reality, a direct bond, as opposed to whatever window of reality that each individual consciousness cooks up.

In this light, reconsider your infinite loop argument. Awareness of one's self, awareness of awareness itself can indeed prove a concrete reality - because in order to become aware, there had to be action, there had to be perception. Action and perception imply existence - because action is the changing of one state to another state, and perception is information about or awareness of a state. You can not change from a nothing to a something, from a non-existence to an existence. With non-existence comes non-time... and with change, comes time. Nothing can be two states or instances of the same thing at one time. To be so would be irrational, thus negating concepts of purpose, space, time... it would negate concepts, it would negate negating. It would negate, therefore, things like purpose, decision, and action - which obviously exist. Here the argument begins to loop, because you have to begin justifying existence with itself, as you said. But the wheel stops with death. Because even though someone ceases to exist, their bodies do not. When their powers of perception ceases to exist, reality does not. You can argue that the reason reality didn't stop was that he was merely a figure, constructed for your reality - but then why wouldn't you know everything that person did? Be aware of every second of his existence? Be aware of his every second of non-existence? Not stopping there, why don't you know... everything that is and was? There is no emotion, action, thought, or perception of time in non-existence... so even if your version of reality WAS a lie, it implies that some being (in the loosest meaning of the word i can muster) was purposefully deceiving us. Deception is a purely human experience, purely the product of our thoughts. We see non-human things as deceptive, but the deceptive things themselves are not aware of it.

We begin to doubt reality because we can't imagine existence before perception. We can't grasp or know what came before us, and what will come after us, and that gives us doubt about the concreteness of our views. Yet that should be the proof, in of itself: the fact that we can not physically, or mentally, perceive "non-existence". Because, quite frankly, it doesn't exist. To know the isn't of something is to know the something. To even begin to grasp non-existence, a frame of reference - ie existence - would be necessary. This is where the logic begins spinning infinitely into itself. It's easy to bend. But consider: To prove that there is no reality, one must use logic. Logic built on reasoning, and rationing. Therefore, to prove non-existence, one can only draw awareness of that concept from his frame of reference, which is existence. The only reason the concept of non-existence is possible is because we, as people, discovered it only after existing. After being the operative, implying and based on, time. You can postulate and throw around rhetorical questions and logically sound explanations, but the fact of the matter is: at one time you were not aware of the concepts of "nothing", or even "something". And I'll be damned if a single person ever's first conscious thought was that he or she didn't exist. Each one of us were confident in reality whether we knew it or not, and it was only after examining and identifying the sum of our perceptions, and labelling them as "reality", that we could then try to imagine the opposite. It was only after we confirmed the existence of things that we could question them.

So then reality is real, existence exists. Who is to say we're all on the same plane of reality? No one. We aren't. Everyone will perceive reality differently. Why? Because of physics. Biology. Science. The circumstances of our objective environment, the rules, the preconditions for our being. Time itself. Reason, logic. The thousands of infinite concepts that human beings can never, ever grasp. We all think within the limits that is the human mind... but things outside of the human mind also obey these rules. Things without sentience, self-awareness, or thought, still function according to some supreme, objective set of rules, outlined by existence. They have no personal preference. With no perception, there is but one version of reality. If humans didn't (physically) exist - as they didn't millions of years ago - the world would still be quite real (at this point i assume that existence exists). It is because of this singular, objective, rational, existence that perception was even possible, because it is shared. I might indeed perceive things differently, in fact being autistic pretty much guarantees I don't see the reality that, say, my brother sees. But I am aware of that difference, I am aware of subjectivity, as is he. Subjectivity, then, becomes itself an objective standard. Constants. Though each one of us may be different, we all got here the same way: sexual reproduction. We can perceive the hell out of sexual reproduction, we can question it for all eternity, but it won't change the fact that every one of us was born because of it. It's an objective standard of reality, a rule, a law of physics and biology. We question reality because we can think, but thinking itself is an objective part of reality. Thus, that thinking leads to subjective opinions is itself a confirmation of existence - of action, of time, of reason. In other words, subjective perception of reality implies existence and objectivity.
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

what da fuk i iz need of a transzlation fo dis shit jesus fuk godayum
      LA

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
        (does metal "perceive"? it's been around way longer than humans.)
        You obviously haven't watched the movie Transformers...
        Boob!!!
        TWLM-J Champion Season 8 :wub:
        TWLM-D Champion Season 9 <_<
        TWLM-B Champion Season 10 :pirate2:
        First person to win all different TWLM'ers :greedy:

Comment

Jerome, you and I are talking about the same thing here. I think a lot of what I said was lost because of a simple presupposition that matter came before consciousness. I know that we exist because we think we exist, just as this computer exists because I believe that it does. What I'm trying to say is that we "know" these things because of stimuli. Who can say that stimuli is from anything else other than our own conscious mind?

You see, I don't disagree with anything you said Jerome, there are just two very basic ways of viewing reality and you have to be able to start from a point of no presuppositions to truly have a logical argument not based on blind belief. The reason why you don't really understand where I'm coming from is because you are still presupposing that matter came before consciousness and that is a problem that frequently pops up in these types of discussions.

Originally posted by Jerome
          We begin to doubt reality because we can't imagine existence before perception.
          Its not that I can't imagine existence before perception, it's that it is irrelevant to me. You can never know for certain that there is anything outside your own head, therefor the only type of truth you can ever know for certain is the logic/reason in your own mind.

If you can start logical reasoning from a point where you are indifferent to which came first, consciousness or matter then you can start to explore the idea(s) I'm trying to get across. I of course "believe" that physical matter came first otherwise I wouldn't be posting on this board, or bothering with eating and showering. What I'm trying to say is, think about what you think is real using logic/reason not just common sense and empirical evidence that you can never really KNOW to be true, especially considering it changes all the time.

We can all say, "I know this spoon is real because I can feel it, see it, and hold it". In order to believe that though you have already presupposed something before considering it logically which means the tree of logical reason isn't logic after all, it is blind belief. You presuppose that your stimuli come from the "outside world", you believe there is an outside world, you believe you are fully conscious of yourself even. You are only part of your consciousness, you aren't aware of everything you are doing right now, you aren't aware that you are constantly believing that gravity is holding you down, you aren't aware that your brain is telling your heart to keep the blood pumping, you aren't aware that you first perceive individual images before piecing the words of this sentence together and then forming the idea. If you are so unaware of your own conscious mind how can you so easily believe that it is telling you the truth about your own stimuli? Especially when there is absolutely NO WAY to confirm any of it. Ask a friend? That friend is the very stimuli you are questioning. You cannot justify the idea of your stimuli being from anything but your own mind by using more stimuli as proof.

So it all comes down to being able to start from a state of reasoning where you are indifferent to which came first, matter or consciousness. That is all I'm talking about when I'm talking about what reality is. We can't know objectively so why not attempt to know subjectively? It doesn't mean you have to believe it.
          (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

your argument destroys itself. lets assume the following is true:
            In order for something to exist it must be perceived
            now if i ask myself: "do i exist?" i gather information about myself. one could say "i perceive myself". this is true, unrelated to any other truth

Truth A: In order for something to exist it must be perceived
            Truth B: I perceive myself
            Conclusion: I exist. so if i exist and perceive you, you exist. this reality would be absolut.

so either "In order for something to exist it must be perceived" or "it is impossible for an objective view of reality to exist" must be wrong. or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffz View Post
              now if i ask myself: "do i exist?" i gather information about myself. one could say "i perceive myself". this is true, unrelated to any other truth
              You are using "I" to test whether or not "I" exists. "I perceive myself" is th same thing as "I perceive I", you've just switched one pronoun for another but they refer to the same entity. You can't use the very thing you are questioning in order to validate it. On top of that you don't even know "I". Your conscious mind is believing things every moment that you are not aware of constantly. Something else other than the perceiver we know as "I" is the only thing that can be used to objectively prove we exist. Because obviously by definition if you use "I" to say "I" exist that is subjective. By definition! Which is what I've been saying all along, we can only truly "know" a subjective truth about reality.

Because you don't know what "I" is you cannot say it exists. It is a pronoun for an entity that we'll probably never be able to fully understand.
              Last edited by Kontrolz; 09-05-2007, 02:17 PM.
              (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

You can't use the very thing you are questioning in order to validate it.
                i didnt validate it, the question validated it. all i did was asking (i can do that, i have proov): "do i exist?"

so lets break it down further:
                Truth A: everything that is perceving also exists
                Truth B: everything that is questioning is also perceving
                Truth C: i am questioning
                Conclusion: I exist

woops wait, actually thats not your wording, sorry. perceiving is a bad example for defining existance. however, sighn - edit:

so lets break it down further, this time in your own wording:
                Truth A: everything that exists is also objective perceived
                Truth B: objective perceiving does not exist
                Conclusion: this is a paradox.

you can not proove that nothing exists with this thesis, because you do not exists objective and can therefore not perceive objective information about the thesis. only someone who exists objective could say if you were right or not, and objective existance is what we are trying to proove (false).

in an argumentation between "absolute reality exists" and "absolute reality does not exist" your argumentation leads nowhere because in order to perceive objective information about your argument you need to exist objective. This thesis, unlike "everything that thinks also exists" can not be used to say something about your existance.
                Last edited by Fluffz; 09-06-2007, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Jerome, you and I are talking about the same thing here. I think a lot of what I said was lost because of a simple presupposition that matter came before consciousness. I know that we exist because we think we exist, just as this computer exists because I believe that it does. What I'm trying to say is that we "know" these things because of stimuli. Who can say that stimuli is from anything else other than our own conscious mind?

You see, I don't disagree with anything you said Jerome, there are just two very basic ways of viewing reality and you have to be able to start from a point of no presuppositions to truly have a logical argument not based on blind belief. The reason why you don't really understand where I'm coming from is because you are still presupposing that matter came before consciousness and that is a problem that frequently pops up in these types of discussions.

Its not that I can't imagine existence before perception, it's that it is irrelevant to me. You can never know for certain that there is anything outside your own head, therefor the only type of truth you can ever know for certain is the logic/reason in your own mind.

If you can start logical reasoning from a point where you are indifferent to which came first, consciousness or matter then you can start to explore the idea(s) I'm trying to get across. I of course "believe" that physical matter came first otherwise I wouldn't be posting on this board, or bothering with eating and showering. What I'm trying to say is, think about what you think is real using logic/reason not just common sense and empirical evidence that you can never really KNOW to be true, especially considering it changes all the time.

We can all say, "I know this spoon is real because I can feel it, see it, and hold it". In order to believe that though you have already presupposed something before considering it logically which means the tree of logical reason isn't logic after all, it is blind belief. You presuppose that your stimuli come from the "outside world", you believe there is an outside world, you believe you are fully conscious of yourself even. You are only part of your consciousness, you aren't aware of everything you are doing right now, you aren't aware that you are constantly believing that gravity is holding you down, you aren't aware that your brain is telling your heart to keep the blood pumping, you aren't aware that you first perceive individual images before piecing the words of this sentence together and then forming the idea. If you are so unaware of your own conscious mind how can you so easily believe that it is telling you the truth about your own stimuli? Especially when there is absolutely NO WAY to confirm any of it. Ask a friend? That friend is the very stimuli you are questioning. You cannot justify the idea of your stimuli being from anything but your own mind by using more stimuli as proof.

So it all comes down to being able to start from a state of reasoning where you are indifferent to which came first, matter or consciousness. That is all I'm talking about when I'm talking about what reality is. We can't know objectively so why not attempt to know subjectively? It doesn't mean you have to believe it.
                  My entire point was to justify that what you are saying is wrong. What you are doing is taking concepts of things and twisting them with rhetoric. Yet your rhetoric itself is based on the very rules of logic and rationing that form from the existence of that which you deny. By adopting a logical framework, you are conceding other implicit truths, such as time, which further invalidate your argument.

Edit: and your spoon argument is also invalid, because at one point, someone COULDN'T presuppose that spoon. Someone made it. Even you have many things in your life that at one point you couldn't even consider possible or extant. You can either concede time, or concede your argumentation, but not both. If you concede time, then you concede reality exists, and if you concede your argumentation, at worst we default at nihilism. To think that your stimuli deliberately fool you is a human concept, outside of humanity "deliberately fool" doesn't exist unless there is thought, choice and action - implying reality via logic and reason.
                  Last edited by Jerome Scuggs; 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM.

internet de la jerome

Comment

If anything, the copious amounts of drugs that we both have taken could in themselves be shown to prove reality: because you can become more aware of your stimuli, divorce what is being sent to you from what you're perceiving.

internet de la jerome

Comment

So in summary whenever I have a college assignment I should come here so other people get give me lots of stuff to put into it?

Going to have a philosophy class this Autumn so its nice to know I can come here for inspiration. :rolleyeso
                      gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                      gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                      gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Originally posted by GuruMeditation View Post
                        So in summary whenever I have a college assignment I should come here so other people get give me lots of stuff to put into it?

Going to have a philosophy class this Autumn so its nice to know I can come here for inspiration. :rolleyeso
                        Don't know if that's the best of ideas.

Comment

Guru, get back online and playing.
                          Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

I fuckin' hate philosophy so much because it's full of pretentious fuckin' pricks trying to find some sort of annoying 'loop hole' in someone elses ridiculously overly thought out statement.

Different people percieve the same reality differently because 'reality' can be warped by human emotion etc etc.

The way humans percieve 'reality', however, is very narrow. We have evolved to be able to view our reality, with regard to light, space and time in a very easy to conceptualise way. We only see about a 1/10th of all light waves. So we already miss out on 9/10ths of what you could call 'possible reality'.

We cannot comprehend what traveling at near the speed of light would be like because the environment we live in does not ask that of our understanding. We are never subjected to the effects of physical forces created at very high speeds and have no comprehension of such forces.

We view atoms, which are mostly open space, collectively that form easy to handle objects. The reality of a chair to us is a solid, medium sized object. However to a microscopic orgasm it is a massive, mobile collection of atoms. If we went smaller, into quantum realms, even the reality of the microscopic organism would break down and time would not exist as we know time to exist as beings on a planet orbiting on a 4 dimensional spacetime continuum, affected by special relativity.

My argument: our reality is shaped by the conditions of our environment through processes of evolution.
                            Last edited by MetalHeadz; 09-07-2007, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadz View Post
                              We view atoms, which are mostly open space, collectively that form easy to handle objects. The reality of a chair to us is a solid, medium sized object. However to a microscopic orgasm it is a massive, mobile collection of atoms. If we went smaller, into quantum realms, even the reality of the microscopic organism would break down and time would not exist as we know time to exist as a planet orbiting on a spacetime continuum, affected by special relavity.

I've always thought about stuff like this. I dont really like to talk about my ideas much though, I was always told to shut the fuck up, keep to myself, and do as I'm told as a kid, so I'm not really good at explaining things. I'm a highschool dropout so I was really never taught about these kinds of things yet but I've thought about them as long as I can remember.

I'll try to explain it quickly cuz im tired.

Basically, I've thought of ourselves as tiny itty-bitty "things". What we call atoms (talking about size), could just be us compared to something else out "there". What we percieve as "outerspace" could just be .. space.. Now imagine that we're so small we can't even see an object that we could be right next to that's so huge we don't see it. So far we've only discovered so little of what outerspace could behold. God (lol?) only knows that we're just some odd parallel dimension shifting back and forth.

Now I bet everyone think's I'm crazy.

Comment

shit's gay.
                                Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                                sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X