Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: Need some help from the US citizens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
    Nah, none of my exes went to study in Canada, so that wasn't me.

Sounds good, most studies over here are 4 years in total, Bachelor + Master (though I believe a lot of people take 1.5 years for their Master, not sure).
    ??? Get your facts right gal, most SOCIAL studies take 4 years in total. Science and medicine related studies take 5 or 6 (3 + 2 and 3 + 3 bachelor+master respectively). And yes, there are an insane amount of people doing "management and economy" studies nowadays since all they want is a high paying job. I wish them good luck with their expensive houses and shitty ass jobs in the future.

EDIT: economy and management are considered gamma studies, are they not? (yes, you probably get a MSc anyway, but that is probably because a MA just sounds like you make figurines out of clay for a living)
    Last edited by Singularity; 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM. Reason: got some typos out of the way and added text
    "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

1. Medicine takes longer yes.
      2. Social studies are a science too.

And the main reason why studies like Biology and stuff take longer is because, at least at our uni, the master has a lot of intern ship possibilities too, and the social sciences don't (though I do believe it is possible).

So yeah, technically it is longer, but part of your master is doing either substantial research, or an intern ship at a company. While a master in Social study is all at the University itself.
      Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

co-ops and internships are what gets you the jobs, in my shot lived experience, Uni (in Canada) does not offer a lot of help finding jobs where as College (in Canada) offers a shit load. A lot more college programs include co-ops and an internship.
        it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I don't really want to get into the whole Dutch educational system, but we don't have college. Its MBO, HBO or University. First 2 being far more practically orientated. Last one being more theoretical.
          Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Indeed. In my opinion HBO would be more or less equivalent to a college. HBO colleges didn't use to offer master degree programs (although this has changed recently) and are more focused on giving you enough experience instead of theory like universities do. In general, it is also easier to get a job through an internship via college.
            Nowadays the trend has started to more or less use the American approach for higher education, e.g. removal of the barrier between college and university, although I'm not so sure I am that happy about it (this separation is one of the main reason North European universities have such a high standard imho)
            "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

I do not mind the removal of barriers that much. As long as the grading and quality in Universities stay the same. If they cant cut it, they will drop out anyway. Besides the differences between HBO and University here are such that attending University is not for everyone. I mean, University is really theoretical and more distant to working life, it has to be your thing to be able to do this. I know a lot of people who have chosen to attend HBO because its more practically orientated and a different style to classes and substance.

Btw, I have handed in my application and I have gone for these Universities:

1. Virginia Tech
              2. Miami University Ohio
              3. University of Vermont
              4. Eckerd College Florida
              5. Ball State University Indiana
              6. Elmhurst College Illinois
              7. Southern Connecticut State University
              8. University of North Carolina at Asheville

I really like UNCA, but the fact that it is part of a consortium and thus they can really just place me at any of the members of that consortium if they feel like it doesn't appeal to me that much. Else it would have been higher up my list.

Comment

That's got to be a lot of fun man, I can't wait for Monday I get to meet with representatives from out of province Colleges and University's. B)
                it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                  I do not mind the removal of barriers that much. As long as the grading and quality in Universities stay the same. If they cant cut it, they will drop out anyway. Besides the differences between HBO and University here are such that attending University is not for everyone. I mean, University is really theoretical and more distant to working life, it has to be your thing to be able to do this. I know a lot of people who have chosen to attend HBO because its more practically orientated and a different style to classes and substance.

Btw, I have handed in my application and I have gone for these Universities:

1. Virginia Tech
                  2. Miami University Ohio
                  3. University of Vermont
                  4. Eckerd College Florida
                  5. Ball State University Indiana
                  6. Elmhurst College Illinois
                  7. Southern Connecticut State University
                  8. University of North Carolina at Asheville

I really like UNCA, but the fact that it is part of a consortium and thus they can really just place me at any of the members of that consortium if they feel like it doesn't appeal to me that much. Else it would have been higher up my list.
                  virginia tech miami ohio vermont and ball state are big schools which i would recommend if you really want to have fun in the states... the other schools are pretty small... like unca thats not even the main campus, and the other schools are really small except for southern Conn U but I wouldnt recommend going anywhere near connecticut.. that state blows and its a depressing place
                  RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                  RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Miami has a really beautiful campus, especially in the fall. Their work out center is pretty nice too. However, everyone there is a little stuck up, preppy, and rich.
                    Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                    1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                    1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                    1:Chao <ER>> at all
                    1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                    1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                    Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                    Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

I don't really care if its big or small. UNCA looked really nice and what I read and heard about it sounds awesome in a beautiful location. But yeah, the being placed randomly within the consortium, not so big a fan of that.

And Panda, my dress style, and taste could be called preppy and for rich kids, though my attitude doesn't really fit that. But unless they are really stuck-up and have the: I am better than you cause my dad has a Mercedes, I wont feel out of place. And I doubt everyone there is like that.

Comment

I have a friend who went to Miami and really enjoyed it. And she wasn't even preppy or stuck-up.
                        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd View Post
                          I have a friend who went to Miami and really enjoyed it. And she wasn't even preppy or stuck-up.
                          pretty much every ohio school ive visited i had a blast going to... im not from ohio but i have friends that live out there... been to bowling green, ohio state and cincy

and why would they be stuckup there? i mean the thing about that is most people that view the world as stuckup are usually the outcast type people that just view everyone that isnt an outcast as stuckup i think... just because someone dresses preppy doesnt make them stuck up.. just means thats the type of clothing style they think they look good in

i think anyone that has a social personality can get past any "stuckup" mentality a person has and become friends with them
                          RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                          RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

UNC Asheville would be good for you, Gall.

Comment

That's just the reputation it has. No, not everyone there is stuck up, but it has a reputation for being stuck-up. Most of the people who go there, at least all the people that I know who go there, are nice enough people if you get to know them but it's very cliquey.
                              Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                              1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                              1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                              1:Chao <ER>> at all
                              1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                              1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                              Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                              Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Working...
                              X