No announcement yet.

How much would you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit = 1 months rent which for my place is £550 :S (€735 / $1075) but i share so that's it halfed but the place is really small !!

hmm there are laws and stuff here about the deposit and i went through an estate agent so it was all quite professionaly done but it's not like they are doing it for free but unfortunately loads of landlords use estate agents to rent. Anyhow they have my deposit, i don't deal with the landlord but them. our washing machine broke the first time we used it and flooded the flat (i was at work and my flatmate turned it on and went shopping DESPITE the fact i said when i looked at it made funny noises i didn't trust it and turned it off till i had more time) they sent round a carpet shampoo cleaner guy the same day (who was gone by the time i got back from work) and replaced the washing machine within a few days all at expense to the landlord probably. I could imagine that would be a hassle if we had to deal with him direct and we could foot the intial bills which having just moved into an apartment we could ill afford!

anyhow your situation seems crappy and 2 generalised verbal aggreements 1) between you and joan and 2) joan and leslie, which appear to be different.

certainly don't pay for any damages ! i don't see why you are paying joan or leslie at all ? it seems a crazy system to have tenants paying tenants rather than the apartment block or the landlord.

Say 1 months deposit minus the damages minus this security deposit
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

Comment

She sounds desperately in need of money..

pimp sense tingling.
      You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Most decent lease agreements do not allow sub-letting. Ask to see both of their contracts and/or tell them that you are going to the building owners and get them to straighten it all out. See if they dont 'all of a sudden' change their positions.

Comment

take this time to find another place if possible. not having a contract with anyone other then the complex you owe them nothing. tell them to stick to the original agreement and you MAY play ball and yes anytime any average person squacks about taking you to court its a scare tactic and they are usually clueless as to how a real courtroom works (other then traffic court).
          ?find dads revenge

Comment

The damage deposit to pay to repair damages that you caused. Additionally, if it is the land lords policy, to pay for cleaning the room when you move out for the next people. Except in that case the idea is to clean it up the way it was before you moved in. So we would be assuming that you moved into a clean place. I wouldn't pay anything. Maybe 100$ or something just to shup her up but I sure wouldn't be paying anything more than a token amount. I think she just wants to keep the money. It's a deposit, you're supposed to get it back.

When I moved into my place I payed a deposit and the guy I rented from used 50$ from everyone when we moved out to have the carpets cleaned because he cleans them every time the people move out so the new people always get clean carpets. But this person isn't even the land lord so what the hell does SHE want to do with this money? Plus, it sounds like there are a bunch of you living there. She wants 600$ from everyone? That's like 3,000$ "damage deposit" for a place that was in complete disrepair before anyone moved in? That's nuts.
            Spider
            Formerly EEK! A Spider!
            Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

Always takes pics of an Apt. prior to moving in noting damages prior to your take-over.

Dameon Angell was right on target with everything he had mentioned.

Any House or Apt. you intend on renting should have a walk-thru of which any discrepancy on damages and what will be your fiscal responsibilty to fix should be addressed prior to signing a lease or even a verbal agreement.

It's like renting a car from Enterprise, Hurtz or any of them in general...before you drive off, you check it out and make sure that prior damages are pointed out so you are not responsible for them.

BTW...who is Joan and why does it sound like anything she said or did to help you comes out as pure shit...........with corn! Great friend is she is a freind?
              May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

To comment on a few posts:

Before I signed the lease I asked about subletting, the apt. ppl told me they dont do that (so technically Joan was living there illegally).

Joan is friends-ish with leslie. I met Joan through her ad on craigslist. It seems Leslie dumped the responsibility of finding someone to take her place on Joan.

Leslie was just 1 of 3 other girls living in the apt. prior to me. She doesnt want a deposit from all the new girls (3 of us), just from me, because I'm filling her "spot" in the apt.

I have pictures and video of the condition of the apt, dated.

I made no verbal agreement with Leslie, because she was off on vacation or something for a few months, Joan was acting as a middle man, and 2 days ago was the first time I talked to Leslie about the deposit.

The only agreement I made with Joan is I thought $570 was a fair amount as long as the damages are fixed because when I move out, I dont want the next person making me pay to fix the place up, taking away from my deposit. She agreed and said that I'll have to figure something out with Leslie when she gets back.

I was not going to sign the lease if it mentioned me being responsible for the damage to the apt. I specifically asked the apt. person this.

Leslie is not making me "pay" for the damages. She just wants the money and to leave me with all the crap she did to the apt. I dont think 600 is an accurate amount considering how she left the apt.

So, she still hasnt called back. I'm not worried about going to court, my dad works for a major courthouse so he can help me out with what to do. He told me that she has nothing on me. I dont want to move out because it was hard enough finding this place. I just need to live here 5 more months and then im out.

Thanks for all the advice and comments! I feel a lot better now knowing she doesnt have squat on me.

--Also, just a fun fact: when I called her she told me she changed her original "price" for me from 675 to 600, she keeps going up! haha.

Comment

Originally posted by MirrorriM View Post
                  To comment on a few posts:

Before I signed the lease I asked about subletting, the apt. ppl told me they dont do that (so technically Joan was living there illegally).

Joan is friends-ish with leslie. I met Joan through her ad on craigslist. It seems Leslie dumped the responsibility of finding someone to take her place on Joan.

You have her right here. She violated the terms of her lease agreement. Depending on the kind of person you are, you can report her for violating the terms of her lease or tell to stfu about the security depost, or wait until the damages are fixed and then give her the deposit. If I was in your situation I would play hard ball. If she threatens you with court again, egg her on telling her to do what she must. Leslie is a real cunt
                  OBama/Biden 08

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                    Most decent lease agreements do not allow sub-letting. Ask to see both of their contracts and/or tell them that you are going to the building owners and get them to straighten it all out. See if they dont 'all of a sudden' change their positions.

Comment

Yeah I read that which reminded me of my conversation with the apt. complex, thanks for pointing it out that I have even more evidence against her^-^

Comment

Spider made no sense at all.
                        Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                          exactly

your name is on the lease, if the house is messed up youre not getting that security deposit back when you move out, so why should you pay it? id get her kicked out and find a new roommate, this sounds like a horrible way to start a living arrangement and if this chick isnt on the lease, fuck her.
                          5:gen> man
                          5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                            Spider made no sense at all.
                            No spider sense. No tingling
                            You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Originally posted by Facetious View Post
                              exactly

your name is on the lease, if the house is messed up youre not getting that security deposit back when you move out, so why should you pay it? id get her kicked out and find a new roommate, this sounds like a horrible way to start a living arrangement and if this chick isnt on the lease, fuck her.
                              I know it's a bitch and you only need a few more months there but I'd listen to Facetious, get out of there and find something a bit better for the time being.
                              it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Leslie doesnt live here, she's not my roommate. I took over her spot in the apartment. So really the living situation is fine, just an annoying outsider :P Still no word from her.

Comment

Working...
                                X