Invasive species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invasive species

I don't get it, why do people cull creatures that are not native, just because there are too adaptive and spread too fast and easily. I mean, shouldn't the most adaptive species thrive? Not that they have much success at reducing the numbers of such species without introducing some other invasive specie(s).

The truth is, if we object the destruction of native flora and fauna by the introduction of new species, we should never allow immigration, since we are the most invasive specie on the face of earth.

BTW, who ever calls for the culling of common mynahs in Australia should be locked in a small cage with 3 monkeys. They are so damn intelligent and cute!!! :wub:

☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

Well I’m not a conversationalist biologist but . . .

Guessing the theory is that evolution has taken billions of years and although the migration of species does occur naturally it is usually at a much slower pace than being carted about and introduced by humans.

This gives the environment more time to adapt at least.

Whereas introducing species that often have evolved with a predator regulating numbers into an ecosystem with no predator (in natural migration land bridges etc would normally allow them to follow the prey) then this can have a devastating effect on the ecosystem as the species boom and busts destroying resources that had evolved in balance with their natural ecosystem.

Although a cull is cruel , is intervention better than watching species introduced by humans destroy the local ecosystem or boom in an unsustainable manner then most starve to death.

Saying an animal is cute has a dramatic effect on the public but there is many other uncute animals that are threatened and others deemed pests that it’s not controversial to cull – rodents

And you could argue that in the last few centuries humans have had a similar unsustainable boom in population. More developed countries have shown a small decrease in population growth, but over all it is still growing and there is a strain already on the sea with wild fish stocks of popular fish crashing – cod and types of tuna.

Perhaps we have a responsibility to try and limit the damage we are doing to the environment and that can be extended to species we introduce both on purpose and accidentally into fragile ecosystems

People will have different view points on it.
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

Comment

most invasive species are introduced not through 'evolutionary' means but by human intervention - a big source of invasive species comes mainly from shipping - foreign species get sucked into ballast water tanks and are ejected when the tanker gets to a foreign port.

introducing a new species can disrupt and most likely destroy the local ecology, which props up the regional ecosystem - creating environmental destruction.

i don't think we have some bs 'responsibility' to save the animals, it's a question of sustainability. humanity rests on sustaining the ecosystem for survival, not for some compassion towards animals. i think if people started being realistic, more people would be willing to reorganize their lives - tell a man to save the whales because they're cute and you'll get laughed at, but tell a man to save the whales because his very life depends on it, and he might be more willing to change his attitudes.
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

But then again, the human kind -as whole- isn't sane enough to change its ways. If anything we are doing now means we are destructing ourself, we will do nothing about it until it is too late. And we don't care.
        You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Working...
        X