No announcement yet.

Gay Marriage 2008- Topic revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I typed marriage into google, my top result was Wikipedia's entry followed by government websites describing the legal process.

At the very top of the Wikipedia entry, it says that "the sacrament or liturgical rite in Christianity" is listed in a separate entry for "Christian views of marriage". So even Wikipedia separates the religious concept of marriage from the main article on the subject.

Comment

• Related searches: marriage problems
      Originally posted by Ward
      OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

• 1 problem of marrage

da bithc don't puttin out haha :wub: :fear:

Comment

• Your argumentation is illogical and against all evidence. Just type marriage into google, the second link (after the russian bride website) links to http://www.christianitytoday.com/
          wait what

Your argumentation is illogical and against all evidence.
          ok

Just type marriage into google, the second link (after the russian bride website) links to http://www.christianitytoday.com/
          wait what the fuck

you seriously didn't type that

did you
          My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

• its adam aNd Eve nOT ADAM AND steve <_<

iok u unserstand me? :fear:

Comment

• that argument is illogical and against all evidence

let me google it to prove you wrong

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372122/

first response, i win
              My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fluffz View Post
                Of course, if you support gay marriage it is not possible to see a religious meaning. Thats why i said you are biased. People who oppose gay marriage - as biased as they might be - could see a religious reason.
                I don't see a religious meaning to marriage because as a Chinese person, thousands of generations of my ancestors, over 1,000,000,000 people out there today, and a 4000 year old continuously running civilization which existed before any modern religion ever did tells me that marriage isn't religious because people who aren't religious, never had religion in their life, and could absolutely care less about organized religion get married all the time and have done so for thousands of years.
                Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                www.animeslice.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
                  I don't see a religious meaning to marriage because as a Chinese person, thousands of generations of my ancestors, over 1,000,000,000 people out there today, and a 4000 year old continuously running civilization which existed before any modern religion ever did tells me that marriage isn't religious because people who aren't religious, never had religion in their life, and could absolutely care less about organized religion get married all the time and have done so for thousands of years.
                  why u gotta bring race to the gay topic?
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Ooooh shit, finally I get it. In the Netherlands gay people are allowed to be married because we don't call it a marriage! We call it huwelijk or if he means the ceremony we call it trouwerij or bruiloft. See, we don't use the word the church invented, because we don't speak English; the language of the church.
                    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

I don't see how this is relevant to the topic. Ok, we know that Chinese people haven't believed in some holy deity and get married all the time. But then again a society doesn't need to be religious to have a norm established that "marriage" is supposed to take place between members of the opposite sex. Last time I checked gay marriage wasn't legal in China, so what does an unreligious culture have to do with the topic of same-sex marriage we're discussing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nycle View Post
                        I don't see how this is relevant to the topic. Ok, we know that Chinese people haven't believed in some holy deity and get married all the time. But then again a society doesn't need to be religious to have a norm established that "marriage" is supposed to take place between members of the opposite sex. Last time I checked gay marriage wasn't legal in China, so what does an unreligious culture have to do with the topic of same-sex marriage we're discussing?
                        what

Fluffz said that gay marriage is wrong because marriage is defined through religion. Epinephrine contradicted this. Your point is completely different

Comment

• Originally posted by Vykromond View Post
                          what

Fluffz said that gay marriage is wrong because marriage is defined through religion. Epinephrine contradicted this. Your point is completely different
                          What Vky said is true.

Originally posted by Nycle
                          See, because the concept of marriage isn't actually a solely religious one (which basically everyone but fluffz agrees with), using religion as the only objection to gay marriage is silly. There is no gay marriage in China because of CULTURAL reasons. But culture can change very easily. Legislation in the USA allowed amazing advances in civil rights in the last 50 years for instance for women and blacks. Meanwhile religious rules generally don't change or are very hard to change, meaning if marriage were solely a religious concept, and religion defined marriage as only between a man and a women, you're going to have a hard time changing that in general.

So my point is, since marriage isn't actually a religious concept (it's a HUMAN sociological concept which religions have embraced), we shouldn't be bound by religious dogma and not allow gays to marry. Using that as an objection towards gay marriage in a democratic society (which I assume fluffz lives in) which separates religion and the state is not valid.
                          Last edited by Epinephrine; 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM.
                          Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                          www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                          www.animeslice.com

Comment

What Vky said is true.

See, because the concept of marriage isn't actually a solely religious one (which basically everyone but fluffz agrees with), using religion as the only objection to gay marriage is silly. There is no gay marriage in China because of CULTURAL reasons. But culture can change very easily. Legislation in the USA allowed amazing advances in civil rights in the last 50 years for instance for women and blacks. Meanwhile religious rules generally don't change or are very hard to change, meaning if marriage were solely a religious concept, and religion defined marriage as only between a man and a women, you're going to have a hard time changing that in general.

So my point is, since marriage isn't actually a religious concept (it's a HUMAN sociological concept which religions have embraced), we shouldn't be bound by religious dogma and not allow gays to marry. Using that as an objection towards gay marriage in a democratic society (which I assume fluffz lives in) which separates religion and the state is not valid.
                            I totally agree with you in spirit, I just think you were drawing a really weird parallel. To clarify:

Fluffz: "Gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry because my religion (Christianity) says marriage is only meant for members of the opposite sex."

Epi: "People in China haven't known religion for thousands of years and get married all the time."

^ Ok, China isn't religious and they don't allow gay marriage. You succeeded to refute the argument of marriage being a solely religious concept, but I don't think Fluffz was necessarily trying to say that. He has been referring to the specific notion of marriage not being appropriate for members of the same sex throughout this entire topic, be it based on his religion or anything else for that matter. Your China story has nothing in it to refute that same-sex point.

Don't forget I'm pretty much on your side, and it could very well be just me who's too "overlooking". I just wanted to clarify why I think that specific reasoning was weird.
                            Last edited by Nycle; 10-28-2008, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nycle View Post
                              Don't forget I'm pretty much on your side, and it could very well be just me who's too "overlooking". I just wanted to clarify why I think that specific reasoning was weird.
                              the problem is, once we (or epi or squeezer) refute one of his arguments, he comes up with another. If you refute that one, he'll argue a different point and not acknowledge the previous one. actually, it's the same thing everyone does here to keep arguing without conceding anything.

same old forum story, just different names
                              .fffffffff_____
                              .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                              .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                              .fffffff\______/
                              .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                              .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                              .fffff\________/
                              .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                              .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                              .fff\__________/

Comment

• Originally posted by Troll King View Post
                                At the very top of the Wikipedia entry, it says that "the sacrament or liturgical rite in Christianity" is listed in a separate entry for "Christian views of marriage". So even Wikipedia separates the religious concept of marriage from the main article on the subject.
                                Just continue reading the main article on marriage and you will have a definition that includes a religious aspect. Since you all seem to think society alone defines marriage i can rest my case because wikipedia is more than anything else a mirror of societys views in todays world. In a few years the marriage article might have changed - and with it the "truth" - but thats a different story.

Originally posted by Epinephrine
                                the concept of marriage isn't actually a solely religious one (which basically everyone but fluffz agrees with
                                You deliberately squeezed the word "solely" in there because you knew your argumentation would not make any sense without it. I never said marriage is defined only by religion. @Dank, id be happy if someone could start refuting my points as opposed to accusing me of things i never said.

Also the reasoning was indeed weird. You argue that marriage has no religious meaning because ppl get married in china too, right? Than you claim "religious reasons are not a valid objection" because we have separation of church and state, right? Since people get married in countries where state and religion are not separated (where religious reasons are a valid objection) your claim cant be true after you apply the same "logic". If you want take this as a proof that marriage has a religious meaning but i wont argue about this any longer.

You cant even tell me what you want without contradicting yourself.
                                We want equal marriage, but not as a religious concept.
                                We want equal marriage, but not where it contradicts social fairness.
                                We want equal marriage, but not where it contradicts the rules of law.
                                We want equal marriage, but only for the conform ideology.
                                We want equal marriage, but some meaning of marriage can remain unequal.
                                We want equal marriage, go find another word for whatever is not equal.

Wait, where exactly do our positions differ again? Oh, i know. You expect society to change towards your ideal while i only expect society to respect what is different.

Comment

Working...
                                X