No announcement yet.

Man one step closer to God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres no proof that I'm aware of that tells me you stop aging when you get to light speed...it makes no sense. If I just was flying around at light speed I'd still age
    yes there is read the wikipedia article on time dilation for starters

also "just a theory" is currently the most meaningless series of words in the english language
    Originally posted by Ward
    OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Got physics and biology majors here tryin to explain all this to me. My point is that none of this makes any sense to any of us. You cant just read the abbreviated story on something like this, and then cut 5 steps out and say we're almost gods. Theres much more to it than that. You dont even know that the universe is 'expanding'. Thats just another theory. It's what you choose to believe. You can link me to another wikipedia article all you want but at the end of the day you're as clueless as me. The big bang must make a lot of sense to people that cant understand what caused it! Put 2 big heaps of nothing together and it goes boom! And creates planets, and the elements. Makes sense! I'm sure you can tell me how you get something out of nothing...dont keep me waiting you're all experts
      I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
      I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by L1 TW View Post
        Actually that is incorrect. John Titor came back to warn us of what was to come via message boards. He was teh time travels.
        This^
        SEE THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WIT YOU WHITE MUHFUCKAS, YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA -FORCE A MOTHAFUCKA TO DO SOMETHIN- YA'LL ALWAYS TRYNA FORCE A MUHFUCKA TO SEE SHIT YOUR WAY.
        AND IT BACKFIYAHS. EVERY. FUCKIN. TIME.

o// REVERE ILYAZ, JASON & GRAN \\o

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
          lesser persons has
          Go back to lolcats.

Originally posted by Izor View Post
          intelligent design is a theory
          Not strictly speaking. A scientific theory is different from a theory as another word for "conjecture," since it needs some serious evidence before it can be called such. Oh, and I almost forgot: you don't understand the Big Bang theory, and I call "not it" on explaining it to you.
          Last edited by Lucon; 01-15-2009, 12:34 AM.
          The pleasure's all mine.

Comment

whats there not to understand about it...the universe started out as infinitely dense and then began expanding for no reason offering no explanation as to what put the whole universe there in the first place or what would cause it all to start expanding...just that it started expanding one day on a whim. Sounds pretty logical to me. Intelligent design has just as much actual proof as the big bang, does it not? Unless you believe the opinions of many atheist scientists is adequate proof that something happened. It's simple, you WANT to believe that there is nothing out there other than dust and echoes, so youre going to believe that. It doesnt make you any more right than I am In fact, have you ever taken a look as to how improbable life on this planet is? If things were off by a matter of centimeters we'd be fucked.

Comment

Here's a 10 minute video with your argument izor, it's got pictures, animation and whatnot. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9XntsSEro
              sigpic
              All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
                Here's a 10 minute video with your argument izor, it's got pictures, animation and whatnot. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9XntsSEro
                yes that one video explains to the whole world that they are right and everyone else is wrong, because clearly youtube is the answer to all of life's questions
                RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
                  yes that one video explains to the whole world that they are right and everyone else is wrong, because clearly youtube is the answer to all of life's questions
                  I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you probably haven't even clicked the link, or just looked at the title and X'd out of there.

Seriously, before you make some grandeur assumptions of what the material is, look at it first then allow your thought process to act (I.e. look before you leap)

oh and youtube doesn't put videos up, people put videos up on youtube, so hence, that's a person talking there, not a website.

But do you know what, truth be told. I don't expect izor, nor folks like you exalt and probably the rest of the quicksand crew to actually give any attention to things they are not going to accept cause of some mental damn they put up for themselves. No one here is going to respond to his or your stupid blabbering (or will give up later on cause there's really no point in arguing with a wall). The video is there if you want a response.
                  Last edited by gran guerrero; 01-15-2009, 02:14 AM.
                  sigpic
                  All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
                    But do you know what, truth be told. I don't expect izor, nor folks like you exalt and probably the rest of the quicksand crew to actually give any attention to things they are not going to accept cause of some mental damn they put up for themselves. No one here is going to respond to his or your stupid blabbering (or will give up later on cause there's really no point in arguing with a wall). The video is there if you want a response.
                    The real point you just said here is it is not Quicksand or their players who have the mental dam, but the players like you who think they know it all and refuse to listen to anyone else's opinions, and you judge them as having mental dams themselves.

Respect everyone's opinions and everyone gets along. Automatically bias a person based on a SQUAD in a 2d space game is insane.

I made a sarcastic joke and you write off an entire squad of people. Good call there.

Truth be told, Izor is an athiest himself, he just doesn't apparently believe in the Big Bang or pretty much all the other hyped-up bullshit stories you guys create in your minds. He is probably more of a realist than all of us.

None of you are closer to God, and discovering RNA does not mean you can create life or change it into DNA. It's probably a big step in the right direction for science, but I don't see it ever happening the way you all perceive it. None of you can create life except through procreation. Sorry.
                    RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

agnostic*

Basically what gran is trying to say is that because I reject the big bang theory, I must be dumb and close minded because it would shatter the belief in the God I dont know is there. That's very cool, but I'm one of the most open minded people on this topic. Growing up through school, you dont learn about religion cause of good ol separation of state, and my family never went to church, so obviously what I learned was to be an atheist by learning about the theory of evolution and the big bang theory, and accepting it as fact because it was taught to me in the classroom. Later on in life after high school, I started reading up on some of this because I'm very curious about it. As much as I always believed that God was our way of explaining what science couldnt, theres just some fundamental things I cant get over, aka what created any matter in the first place. Your big bang theory offers no explanation for this and it never will. When I say 'you or I will never understand this' I say that because it truly is over our heads. People that are true geniuses dont understand it after devoting their whole lives to it. I have resigned myself to this. It's really very easy to act educated on the subject here on forums, where you can pull up another browser and google to research the topic as you're posting, but if we were to have an actual conversation you'd be lost I'm sure. For instance if I were to ask you if since the big bang created elements such as hydrogen and helium, where all the denser elements come from and how something as complex as DNA came to be from nothing, you wouldnt have an answer off the top of your head. It's something scientists cant even try to explain now.

"No one really knows where or how DNA was oringinaly formed. It came from RNA, but where did RNA come from. The odds of a molecule, as complex as a DNA molecule, forming in the natural world is 1 chance in 10^40,000."

I dont know how someone on wikianswers came up with this or if its even true, but its accurate in that the odds would be astronomical of something like this happening and even assuming your big bang was correct in the creation of the universe, how would something as complex as DNA come to exist? Everything has to be so perfect for life to be created. EVERYTHING. From gravity to climate to the planet having water to cellular structure. If the theory of evolution held true, how could something as complex as a flagellum ever come into existence? There are over 40 proteins in the flagellum, and without any of the parts being in the right place, the whole thing is useless. How would something so complex 'naturally' evolve when it would require several very useless parts for a long period of time? Theres just too much we cannot understand. I'm open to hearing from an actual scientist how they think these things have occured, but unless I see some hard evidence I dont think any of us will ever truly know.

Comment

None of you are closer to God, and discovering RNA does not mean you can create life or change it into DNA.
                        Who's saying we are? I think we've dismissed that notion on the basis that the supernatural by definition is not objective so there's no way to measure our actions and abilities to that of a deity. We can however make predictions and ideas (theories) which can be tested, proven or disproved. The point being that just because you might not agree with that prediction or result, doesn't have a bearing on whether some phenomenon actually does occurs, or not. Especially since you, Izor and Wark seem to not give even the basic passing interest in science to actively discuss it here (or history for that matter).

Originally posted by Izor View Post
                        As much as I always believed that God was our way of explaining what science couldnt, theres just some fundamental things I cant get over, aka what created any matter in the first place. Your big bang theory offers no explanation for this and it never will. When I say 'you or I will never understand this' I say that because it truly is over our heads. People that are true geniuses dont understand it after devoting their whole lives to it. I have resigned myself to this. It's really very easy to act educated on the subject here on forums, where you can pull up another browser and google to research the topic as you're posting, but if we were to have an actual conversation you'd be lost I'm sure. For instance if I were to ask you if since the big bang created elements such as hydrogen and helium, where all the denser elements come from and how something as complex as DNA came to be from nothing, you wouldnt have an answer off the top of your head. It's something scientists cant even try to explain now.

"No one really knows where or how DNA was oringinaly formed. It came from RNA, but where did RNA come from. The odds of a molecule, as complex as a DNA molecule, forming in the natural world is 1 chance in 10^40,000."

I dont know how someone on wikianswers came up with this or if its even true, but its accurate in that the odds would be astronomical of something like this happening and even assuming your big bang was correct in the creation of the universe, how would something as complex as DNA come to exist? Everything has to be so perfect for life to be created. EVERYTHING. From gravity to climate to the planet having water to cellular structure. If the theory of evolution held true, how could something as complex as a flagellum ever come into existence? There are over 40 proteins in the flagellum, and without any of the parts being in the right place, the whole thing is useless. How would something so complex 'naturally' evolve when it would require several very useless parts for a long period of time? Theres just too much we cannot understand. I'm open to hearing from an actual scientist how they think these things have occured, but unless I see some hard evidence I dont think any of us will ever truly know.
                        The big bang theory doesn't attempt to prove the origin of the universe, it explains its very beginnings and actually flow well with the Judo-Christian idea of creation, that the universe was born in fire and destruction. Similarly the predicted end of the universe follows the same narrative, much to the delight of evangelicals. Like your misconception about the big bang, evolution doesn't attempt to explain the process of how life came to be on Earth, it only explains something very specific, that organisms over millions of years can adapt and have adapted to their surroundings through of process of natural selection. The best species to adapt survives and pass those genetic "traits" to offspring.

When a physicist attempts to prove an equation which may tell us something about the nature of the universe, attempting to conceive of that notion, of it physically being in play is above the human capacity to understand. But if that person attempts to break it apart using math and previously understood physics, that small piece can be understood and fit in within a framework of understanding.

Denser elements are created in the core of high mass stars, when they go supernova they spread their materials out into the universe. Read some stuff by Neil Degrass Tyson, he makes a lot of cosmology simpler to understand.

Science may not offer an answer or the best possible answer there is to every question, it's a never ending pursuit of finding knowledge. That doesn't mean we don't know anything.

Again I don't know much about genetics or biology but I would assume more evidence like life emerging on other planets in our solar system would help. There are about 4 or 5 likely places where it probably did. And what we know life needs to survive and thrive has continually changed over the past 30 years.

Other complex systems like the flagellum have been shown to operate with their constituent parts removed, those pushing that theory have been widely discredited. Read up on the Type III secretory system.
                        Last edited by Kolar; 01-15-2009, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                          Who's saying we are? I think we've dismissed that notion on the basis that the supernatural by definition is not objective so there's no way to measure our actions and abilities to that of a deity. We can however make predictions and ideas (theories) which can be tested, proven or disproved. The point being that just because you might not agree with that prediction or result, doesn't have a bearing on whether some phenomenon actually does occurs, or not. Especially since you, Izor and Wark seem to not give even the basic passing interest in science to actively discuss it here (or history for that matter).
                          I'm a double major at Purdue University... for lo and behold English and History

I do have a passing knowledge for history and probably know a lot more about it than most on these forums. I disagree with most of your implied historic events, but as such, all history is different according to each individual. History according to me and my family along with the experiences I have had in my life would not be the same history as you and your family. Need we not mention rich white European descendants took an avid interest in history, as they were the original ones to actually be able to go to college. Along with that, they molded history into their own agendas, and thus history according to them will not be the same as history according to, lets say for instance, the Islamic or the Isreali people.

But of course, you know far more than I ever could in History and Science. You know everything. My opinions that differ from your own must automatically be wrong, and therefore proves I have no passing knowledge or interest in either Science or History. You are so correct.
                          RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

I'm a double major at Purdue University... for lo and behold English and History

I do have a passing knowledge for history and probably know a lot more about it than most on these forums. I disagree with most of your implied historic events, but as such, all history is different according to each individual. History according to me and my family along with the experiences I have had in my life would not be the same history as you and your family. Need we not mention rich white European descendants took an avid interest in history, as they were the original ones to actually be able to go to college. Along with that, they molded history into their own agendas, and thus history according to them will not be the same as history according to, lets say for instance, the Islamic or the Isreali people.

But of course, you know far more than I ever could in History and Science. You know everything. My opinions that differ from your own must automatically be wrong, and therefore proves I have no passing knowledge or interest in either Science or History. You are so correct.
                            I was making a joke about Wark's slip up on ancient Rome and Greece. I haven't made any historical references though, recorded history only reaches to the 4th millennium. I never said I knew everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                              I was making a joke about Wark's slip up on ancient Rome and Greece. I haven't made any historical references though, recorded history only reaches to the 4th millennium. I never said I knew everything.
                              oral history was around long before that
                              RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

I'm not sure how that matters to this thread still.

Comment

Working...
                                X