Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newspapers are drying up (Cops/Squeezer where you at)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so lets start that website and get ahead of the curve.

what do you think about prose entering a zine or online publication that also covers the news? Is there a possibility for literature and news to be side by side given the revolution that will be taking place over the next few years? Have you (or TK) ever seen these kinds of publications succeed?

I'm curious about your guys' opinions.
    Originally posted by Tone
    Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

All of you guys are morons. Please let me know what website it is so I can laugh when I finally see the site closed message.
      Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

I could see it working, it's the same concept as Digg where articles get voted up or down by people except it wouldn't be a simple aggregator and ranking system of articles. People could offer their own articles and op-eds and the authors could be ranked. An algorithm could then discern whether an author or particular article gets "published" to the main page. I'm having a hard time thinking of any other site quite like that.

Edit: The way I see it all these news sites are adding comment sections and they're full of garbage and absolute junk. Sometimes though people do offer insightful comments but the way that system is designed it offers little in the way of real dialog. If a site is built up around the idea that anyone's ideas and commentary are just as valid and relevant as the next person's I could see it becoming very profitable.
        Last edited by Kolar; 02-12-2009, 04:21 AM.

Comment

rofl, so theres not millions of people that listen to rush for their news every day? Clearly because you dont, and no one you know (besides kthx) does, he must be lying?
          I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
          I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by raizin View Post
            I get all the news i need in the world right here from the GENERAL DISCUSSION SECTION. you guys all have majors in the bullshit you spout everyday amirite?? amirite??

Also, Im glad the Seattle P.I. is for sale, most bias peice of shit that i read at my work everyday.

Only problem is the Seattle Times is just as bad.
            aberdeen's "daily world" is good shit. im sure you can find it
            Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
            1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
            Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
            caco <ER>> )Oo
            caco <ER>> bot thief!
            caco <ER>> duel me for it
            Evasive <E> no!
            Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Originally posted by Epinephrine View Post
              I think in 5-10 years time, we'll start seeing some real powerful online-only news sites with a real following, which will be both technologically plugged into the world, and also intelligent, well-written and truly informative more than any lone blogger could ever be. I just don't think that it's feasible to have infinite tiny news blogs/sites that everyone checks every day (no matter how many RSS feeds you subscribe to, it's not the same). No one has that much time to continuously find new blogs and new sources, and no singular person/blog/individual site can have the sufficient personal resources to produce the same quality of information that a large well-funded organization could.

In 20 years time, these websites, will be powerful entities unto themselves, possibly having public national and world-wide forums where people all over will actually debate the issues of the day. I can imagine sites where politics are discussed by citizens and you have forums where people will get articles posted based on 'online reputation' and ideas will be debated relentlessly by our older selves much like how we debate things at a rudimentary level here on this forum.
              huffpo...

also i don't buy that 'criticism' or whatever will die, people eat that shit up. for some reason people on the internet love ranked lists, i mean fucking LOVE ranked lists... and critics love making them!
              Originally posted by Ward
              OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

hmm i know a newspaper i read online is getting heavily into advertising

could the web advertising revenue balance out the drop in sales?

i don't think they will die out, i've never really read the newspapers anyway but others like to buy them to read on the train etc so there will still be a market for that.

But things like having sports betting sites (as slightly unethical as it is) on the sport pages, itunes or rivals on the music , amazon links on the book reviews etc do free podcasts with the journalists but have them sponsored etc...

although advertising revenue is a falling market as well with the recession would it not be possible to restructure embrace the web and online news and survive?

i've no idea really i'm just noticing a newspaper doing these things but also winning awards for having a good informative website (though i find it's search feature absolute shite! )
                In my world,
                I am King

sigpic

Comment

chasin paper in the mornin call me HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                    I was about to mention that TK, as far as I know Metro is doing pretty well and it is a free paper.
                    what the fuck do you know about papers in north america, seems like u know more about our continent than u do your boring ass country :<

Comment

Originally posted by Pressure Drop View Post
                      could the web advertising revenue balance out the drop in sales?

But things like having sports betting sites (as slightly unethical as it is) on the sport pages, itunes or rivals on the music , amazon links on the book reviews etc do free podcasts with the journalists but have them sponsored etc...

although advertising revenue is a falling market as well with the recession would it not be possible to restructure embrace the web and online news and survive?
                      Web advertisements will remain lucrative up until the web is replaced. I'm not saying it will or it won't, but what I am saying is that as long as people use the internet there will be advertisement dollars available.

Look at this basic concept;

Including advertisements to the beginning of a news report. Some news companies make you watch a 30-second advertisement before you watch an online video. I'm not saying include the advertisement in the news package, but you can put the advertisement on the front or the back end of a news pack. People need to start getting creative, the advertisement industry isn't dead it just took a hard hit like every other industry.
                      Last edited by Cops; 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM.
                      it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Online advertisements have a major problem: they have the possibility of executing malicious code. It's a big problem, and it's getting bigger--even Google's banner ad service has an issue of advertisers slipping malware into their ads, which then gets broadcast to any sites subscribing to Google's ad service. It was a major topic at a security conference I was at just a few days ago.

And until this gets under control (will it ever?), people are going to continue to install and suggest ad- and popup-blockers, which nullify any incentive for advertisers to give up the cash. If no one sees your ad, why advertise?

We need a solution, and so far no one's come up with the sane one of "we make/publish your ads, so if anyone's responsible for malicious code inside of them, we are." No one's stepping up. Oversight is necessary.
                        Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                          what the fuck do you know about papers in north america, seems like u know more about our continent than u do your boring ass country :<
                          What makes you think this issue is restricted only to North America? The Metro newspaper he's referring to is a free Belgian daily paper.

Maybe being knowledgeable about countries outside one's own, as you're criticizing Galleleo for, would prevent people from making boneheaded comments like you just did.

Comment

Metro is a paper that originated in Stockholm and it is the largest newspaper world wide (acknowledged so by the Guinness book of records). It can be found all over Europe, parts of Asia and all over America (the continent, just in case you didn't get that).
                            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Except that Metro is also a European-based newspaper with international editions. So what the fuck do you know?

Edit: Oh shit didn't see the replies on page 2

Edit2: I don't see it as a good thing that newspapers like Metro are faring relatively well. It's basically one big collection of news items bought from a news agency without any self-written reports. I don't think these kind of newspapers can really contribute to (real) newspapers' basic functions of providing transparency and control of the government, transfer of cultural values and certainly not media diversity. It's sad that there are several trillions of dollars available to bail out some banks who owe their trouble to no one but themselves, while newspapers with an important social function are allowed to fail.
                              Last edited by Nycle; 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I don't think these kind of newspapers can really contribute to (real) newspapers' basic functions of providing transparency and control of the government
                                American newspapers haven't been doing this for decades, for the record
                                Originally posted by Ward
                                OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Working...
                                X