2010 Detroit Auto Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Detroit Auto Show

Just came back from covering the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Here are some pics, but check out our coverage for more:

2010 Detroit Auto Show Coverage

Updated Audi e-Tron electric concept

New 5.0L Ford Mustang

GMC Granite concept

I'm a bit appalled with the approach Honda took with the CR-Z. It's a hybrid, yet it only achieves an estimated 33 MPG. If they really want to make it the spiritual successor to the CRX, they should get rid of the hybrid altogether and focus on the suspension and manage the weight a bit better. Stick a 4cylinder engine in there and focus on what made the original CRX a good, fun small car to push around during winding roads, etc.
    LA

Comment

We weren't that impressed by it either.

Comment

Is GM gonna sell Saab or not TK?
        Originally posted by Tyson
        There is no such thing as hoologians there are only football supporters.
        Originally posted by HeavenSent
        Hello? Ever tried to show a Muslim a picture of Mohammed? I dare anyone to try. You will die.
        Originally posted by Izor
        Women should never be working in the first place.

Comment

Last I had heard, GM was letting Saab fall to the side with Saturn.

TK...did Chevy push the Volt again this year? I can't believe that they are still pushing this car as well as the years they have had just talking about it.

I will be interested in seeing if Ford can unload Volvo next. There is a company in China that has interest in Volvo. As much as I hated my kids old Volvo 240, I just test drove the new Volvo C30 a few days ago. Not bad for a small car that ranks with the VW GTI on a comparison. VW seems to have a better review, but I actually liked the feel and overall looks of the C30 over the GTI.
          May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Word just came out that the Genii group with Bernie Ecclestone just submitted a new offer this morning. We'll have to see, but the overall outlook from the journalists at the show the last few days wasn't positive.

Comment

What the hell happened to Chrysler at this show? Is it true that their display reflects no vision and appears to be just a few models thrown together? Do you think this is the 'beginning of the end' based upon what you saw from them at the show?

Comment

I don't get what Ford is doing with Volvo, I know that in 2007 Volvo along with 1 other brand (jaguar or Aston Martin or something) was the only brand that was turning out a profit under the Ford umbrella.

The new s60 concept looked frikken amazing, I don't know how much has been changed on the eventual car that will come out later this year. The xc60 Concept looked a lot better than the one that came out too, I especially miss the backdoor and the stereo from the concept, they looked kickass.
                Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Geely bought Volvo... how does it feel driving with a Chinese car Galleleo? :wub:
                  Displaced> I get pussy every day
                  Displaced> I'm rich
                  Displaced> I drive a ferrari lol
                  Displaced> ur a faggot with no money
                  Thors> prolly
                  Thors> but the pussy is HAIRY!

best comeback ever

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                    What the hell happened to Chrysler at this show? Is it true that their display reflects no vision and appears to be just a few models thrown together? Do you think this is the 'beginning of the end' based upon what you saw from them at the show?
                    They were very low-key with no big unveilings. No big press conference either like all the other American companies. The big story with them is the Fiat influence like the 500 models, but it was weird seeing Jeeps right next to a Ferrari and a Maserati. They're definitely the farthest behind in turning things around.

Comment

Originally posted by Displaced View Post
                      Geely bought Volvo... how does it feel driving with a Chinese car Galleleo? :wub:
                      Volvo's are produced in Sweden and/or Belgium, the only plant they ever used in China was the plant Ford has there and was only for the local market.

Failure disp... :wub:
                      Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                        Volvo's are produced in Sweden and/or Belgium, the only plant they ever used in China was the plant Ford has there and was only for the local market.

Failure disp... :wub:
                        Displaced was not totally wrong...actually the majority of Volvo's trucks are made in the U.S. Volvo has a 1.6-million-square-foot facility, located on nearly 300 acres in Dublin, Virginia and it is the largest Volvo truck manufacturing facility in the world.

As for the cars, I found this info available:
                        the Volvo Car Corporation produced a total of 366,249 cars, where of 181,425 were manufactured in Ghent, Belgium and 165,129 were manufactured in Gothenburg, Sweden. In addition, 12,800 cars were produced at Pininfarina Sverige AB's facilities in Uddevalla, Sweden (the Volvo C70 convertible). The production in Chongqing, China totalled 5,811 cars (Volvo S40). Volvo Cars also assembled a limited number of so called completely knocked-down (CKD) units in Malaysia (474 cars) and Thailand (610 cars).
                        On 28 October 2009, Ford confirmed that the preferred buyer of Volvo Cars is Chinese motor manufacturer Geely after considering several offers. On 23 December 2009, Ford confirmed that all substantive commercial terms the sale to Geely have been settled and a definitive accord would be signed in early 2010 and the deal expected to be closed by Q2 2010.

I was amazed at the price increase that Volvo has made on the C30. Last year I could get one for under $25,000.00 Now they are starting at $29,000.00, but if you look at the costs of one that was a managers car with perhaps 3000 miles on it with full warranty, I can grab one at $20,000.00 A used C30 drops between $8,000.00 - $10,000.00 almost as soon as you drive it off the lot!

For such a highly rated car they do not retain their value like a Toyota and especially a Honda will. I do like the C30 and the S40, but will keep my eyes open for a dealers specials come March when my Honda Pilots lease expires. Not paying the cost they are asking for that is for sure. Could get a new Prius and or Camry loaded for that cost. I Love car shopping and test driving

Comment

I was talking specifically cars and so far the cars they produced in China were for the local market.

Also, the increase in price could be related to the Dollar. I mean, most Volvo's are produced in Europe with costs in Euro's, the dollar has grown insanely weak against the Euro, so I am sure that if they were to keep the same price levels in the US they would be losing money. That could very well explain the increase in price.

Comment

I live 30 min away from the auto show....this year the auto-show sorta sucked tho tbqh

Comment

Nah...has not really much to do with the dollar vs. Euro. I can get a nicer car from VW, Honda, Toyota or Nissan loaded for much less and it will retain its value as well...not that it matters when you lease. The Volvo's are losing between 8,000 - 10,000 once you sign the papers and drive it off the lot. Not so with VW, Honda, Toyota...even Hyundai.

I can go to a Volvo dealer and get a New 2009 for $8,000.00 less than the 2010 and it has the same identical features. They didn't do all that much to the 2010 other than some minor crap that it would create a jump in the cost and yet other Euro cars with more room and features are much cheaper here. I just like the look of the C30, but will most likely, for the same price get a loaded Passat. All boils down to the monthly car payment on a lease. I love 3 year leases with everything covered...and then I can just give it back after 3 years when most of the crap happens anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X