Usa! Usa! Usa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tigron-X View Post
    Well, of course there is objective truth. If I come up to you and say: “There is no such thing as truth,” then I am making a statement that I consider to be true. By claiming that truth does not exist my argument self-destructs.

If you believe there is no such thing as objective truth, then there is no reason to discuss anything with anyone, let alone continue this conversation.

There is universally preferable behavior. In other words, there exists preferable human behaviour that is universal, objective, consistent – and binding.

For example, if you want peace, it is universally preferable that people do not initiate force against each other. In other words, you don't want people to use violence against you, and people do not want you to use violence against them. This isn't merely a personal preference. It is universal and consistent.

When I say "preferable" I don't mean "sort of better." In this sense, “preferable” means “required”

“Universally preferable” then translates to “objectively required,” but the term “preferable” is better suited to differentiate between optional human absolutes and non-optional physical absolutes such as gravity.
    This idea of "objective truth" was proven to be falsifiable in the 20th century giving birth to the idea of "relativity." In a somewhat famous hypothetical experiment, which I will attempt to explain.

There is a train moving on a track with a lighting rod attached to its engine. There is 1 observe on the train while it is in motion, there is also 1 observer on the ground alongside the track watching as it passes by. At the precise second the train passes the stationary observer, lighting strikes the rod. It takes a small but measurable time for the flash of lightning to appear to each observer; however, because the train is in motion, it will have moved every so slightly by the time the stationary observer witnesses the strike. Hence, the stationary observer will literally witness the strike occurring at a different place in time and space as the passenger on the train ( he will see if a split second after the passenger, because it has to travel back to where he stands). Both stories will be true, and different. They will not match. I feel like I've butchered this experiment a bit, but it and others like it began to make certain scientists wonder if it is possible for 2 events to occur simultaneously and yet be different to multiple observers. This leads to quantum theory, though I know little more.

Comment

• Perception is not objective -- which is what that experiment shows. Perception is the process by which an individual's mind, through the input of its five senses, comes to know that there is an objective reality. This process is, and can only ever be, subjective.

To claim that truth is subjective is to put forth a universal truth. Thus, it becomes a self-destructing argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
        when will people learn that trench wars forums is:

absolutely
        positively
        most definitely
        without a doubt

not even close to being the appropriate place for a discussion such as this.

hope everyone had a happy 4th. think maybe we could just leave it at that and not try to debate a topic that is clearly far too subjective to even bother with?

in closing, buttjobby...? (does that even work, zeeb?)
        i stopped on page 2

done with this thread
        USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

• lol... intellectual conversations are inappropriate for TW forums?

Comment

• Itt

Overthinking =/= intellectual
            JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
            the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

• Humor me Paul.

When you said I couldn't handle anarchy, what were you referring to?

Comment

• dude tigron, no one cares man, you can relax now.
                4:BigKing> xD
                4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                4:BigKing> what did i do???
                4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                4:BigKing> ???? why though
                4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                4:BigKing> xD

Comment

• Originally posted by paradise! View Post
                  dude tigron, no one cares man, you can relax now.
                  It's ok, man. You don't need to worry about me. Thinking doesn't hurt my head. I'm just being curious.

Comment

• Because I'd shoot you for hating america
                    JAMAL> didn't think there was a worse shark than midoent but the_paul takes it

turban> claus is the type of person that would eat shit just so you would have to smell his breath

Originally posted by Ilya;n1135707
                    the_paul: the worst guy, needs to go back to school, bad at his job, guido

Comment

• Damn you Paul!

I was hoping for some sort of hackneyed, guys with mohawks, Road Warrior scenerio.

Comment

Working...
                      X