A Review of a Different Sort of Film, Actually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Review of a Different Sort of Film, Actually

With the highly testosterone driven tastes of this community, film reviews here often fall under obvious special-effects laden genres. Here then is a review for something a little different, actually.

I saw Love Actually the other day, and I must say that it was a highly enjoyable film. After seeing about a dozen blockbuster films this year like Kill Bill and the two Matrices (somehow, the word sounds less masculine in plural) with the LOTR finale on the horizon, I would say that this is the second best film I've seen all year behind volume 1 of Tarantino's opus.

Not forgetting the target audience of this review, I must at this point make a note that whatever prejudices you may have against the romantic comedy genre, Love Actually, with it's cloyingly sweet themes is intelligently funny, charming, filled with actractive people like Kiera Knightley, and is a "chick-flick" holliday date movie that will not cause the average male to grit his teeth and dig his fingernails into the theatre's arm rests to survive the 132 minute run time.

Written and directed by Richard Curtis, who also wrote Four Weddings and a Funeral as well as Mr Bean, Love Actually follows multiple characters and illustrates different forms of the emotion of love, as their lives intertwine in the weeks leading up to Christmas. A strong cast featuring well known and respected names in British film flesh out Curtis' characters in an excellent display of ensemble acting. Liam Neeson plays a step-father for a young boy with an amazingly mature grasp on being in love. With the death of his wife shortly before the film begins, the initial awkwardness dissolves and he becomes the guide in his step-son's quest for his first love. Hugh Grant, a Curtis staple, seems somehow fitting in the role of a young bachelor Prime Minister and successor to Tony Blair. With his trademarked combination of charm and nervousness, he faces the task of meeting with the American president (a cameo role played, in a remarkable piece of contrast, by Billy Bob Thornton) in a way that arouses British patriotism while slyly commenting on the Blair and Bush administrations as well as a strong hint towards Clinton.

Other storylines include the budding romance between two movie body-double stand-ins trying to get to know each other while simultaneously simulating various different sex acts. Their scenes are surreal yet charming. Just picture trying to talk about London traffic while grinding away doggy-style. Colin Firth is excellent in a well written storyline as his writer character falls in love with a Portugese maid, while neither one speaks the other's language. Their scenes are poignant and fueled with an unspoken bond, and what words they do say mix and match in ways in which neither of them is aware. It's like watching two people perfectly performing a tango while blindfolded.

A standout performance comes forth from Bill Nighy playing a washed up British rock star trying to revive his career with a Christmas album. Played like a tidier Keith Richards, the character is so washed up that he doesn't even care about promoting his crappy new record. Nevertheless, you just can't help but like his character and root for his success on the charts against teen pop bands.

Overall, the film does what all romantic comedies should do. It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling about the world and humanity while delivering plenty of laughs, but at the same time it isn't sugary sweet enough to insult your intelligence. Surprising cameos feature Thornton, Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) and beautiful starlets like Denise Richards, Shannon Elizabeth, and Elisha Cuthbert. And though I hadn't as yet mentioned much of it, the musical soundtrack plays a large role in furthering the various storylines, like, for example, the surprising wedding cover of All You Need Is Love as well as the holiday cover of Love is All Around by Nighy's character.

If you're tired of swordfighting, bullet doding or king-returning, and want something light and entertaining (or a good holiday film to see on a date), Love Actually is an excellent choice.

Our corridor was threatening to go and see it last night instead of SWAT, but we opted for swat (as everyone was saying: 'well, i dont mind', or 'you choose', so i did). It looks really good, but I doubt the global audience will really connect to the film like us British will. Martine Mucucheon (sp) who plays the dark haired girl who falls in love with the PM is best known to 90% of the country as Tiffney as thats the character she played in the countries' biggest soap for a good few years before she was killed in a car accident on new years eve '99 (her character). Bill Nighy is also best known for starring in a whole raft of sitcoms in which he is brilliant. I suppose you've just got to have the BBC really
    Originally posted by Facetious
    edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Did anyone see "The Hebrew Hammer" on comedy central? How was it?
      Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Shit probably

Comment

I don't think Americans would get it as much, true, as it has a distinctly British feel to it. I'm Canadian, so maybe that's close enough for me to like this film. There are quite a bit of actors that are well known in England that are less so elsewhere, but there are still a number of recognizeable (and respected) names for North American audiences, such as Grant, Emma Thompson and Liam Neeson.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the one flaw I had with the film was that the pacing of the multiple storylines wasn't very balanced. Some storylines don't get revisited for long periods of time, so you forget what was happening there.

For example, one character, played by Kris Marshall who I liked in one of the rare Brit sitcoms we get to see here in Canada, My Family, seeks to go to America because he thinks American girls are not stuck up like British girls, so he and his British accent will score big there. He leaves England about a third of the way through the film, but we don't see what happens to him until near the end (and believe me, you'd wish you saw more of what happens to him)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
            For example, one character, played by Kris Marshall who I liked in one of the rare Brit sitcoms we get to see here in Canada, My Family,
            My Family is brilliant, I don't get why the American's don't buy our sitcoms. There was this documentary on it a little while back, I didn't watch it up apparently the upshot of it was they try to Americanise everything when they should just be left alone. For example the American audience can only get something if its slapstick comedy spoon fed to them, which sucks. Sack your producers and make them stop Americanising everything

Comment

The American version of Coupling was canned here after just three episodes or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayo Inc.
                Did anyone see "The Hebrew Hammer" on comedy central? How was it?
                That looked sweet, but I missed it as well; unless it's coming on again sometime?
                5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Gonna be on tomorrow at 9pm EST again.
                  can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

My girlfriend and I saw it, and we both enjoyed it. I think American audiences will enjoy it (I'm American). Hugh Grant's character as Prime Minister won't be as easy to identify with (especially the political "challenges" he overcomes) but everything else was pretty universal.

I agree with TK's post. A charming movie with some nice stories without overdoing the sap. So many movies assume the smallest amount of intelligence and like to shove the "message" down your throat.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                      My Family is brilliant, I don't get why the American's don't buy our sitcoms. There was this documentary on it a little while back, I didn't watch it up apparently the upshot of it was they try to Americanise everything when they should just be left alone. For example the American audience can only get something if its slapstick comedy spoon fed to them, which sucks. Sack your producers and make them stop Americanising everything

What's the easiest way to reach the largest audience? Dumb it down so that everyone gets it. Commercialization at its finest.
                      Mr 12 inch wonder

Comment

Working...
                      X