No announcement yet.

I guess now is as good a time as any...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, wadi, you can't have sex with them and then expect them to go away immediately, shit.
    5:gen> man
    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

I would've had to be pretty damn drunk to make it with those chicks.

Not that they wouldn't have been down with the two chicks at once thing, but, well, I could've deep fried a cow there was so much lard on the front porch.

Comment

true story..

I was at the bus stop in downtown seattle on my way home from work. there's a guy on the sidewalk who seems completely shitfaced and distraught.. he's laying up against a wall making weird noises and sometimes moving around.

This jesus guy walks by.. he's always out there yelling about jesus and passing out pamphlets, he yells something to the guy about finding christ and keeps walking, handing pamphlets to everyone he passes.

then some santa claus-looking old dude walks by, sees the guy, stops to ask him if he's ok, helps him to his feet and tries talking to the guy. the guy, obviously upset (and like I said, probably very drunk) starts saying things like "she's dead! they killed her!" and "my girlfriend is dead!". so the guy borrows a cellphone from a passerby and starts calling someone, then my bus came and I got on it.

Just something to think about... this jesus yelling motherfucker is always out there acting all righteous and talking about the bible with anyone who will listen, but when given the chance to do something, he just yelled about jesus and kept walking.

I don't know what you do, or what you'll be doing in russia, but I think if I was god looking down on the world, I'd ignore the talkers, and pay attention to the people who are doing things.
        http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

That'd be about the opposite of what LDS missionaries do.

Granted, you might think they're intrusive knocking on your door and what not, but they're not going to be preaching on top of soap boxes and passing out pamphlets to strangers on the street.

Honestly, you can ask a missionary for help any time, and he/she will do everything they can to help you. Unless it's something silly or just wrong.

What they do is more than just teach people, it's a lot more.

That's a perfect example of the Good Samaritan parable...except the old guy isn't a Samaritan.
          Big props to the old guy.
          Ну вот...

Comment

To me, knocking on doors is far worse than preaching in the street and passing out pamphlets. You're not talking to people who want to talk to you, you're bothering people in their homes. at least in the street they can just keep walking.

These people that come to the door (if they must insist on doing that) should always have the first same question.. "Do you want to talk about jesus for a few minutes?" , that gives the person in the house an opportunity to end the conversation without ever having to be rude. you say you don't sell things, but the people who knock on the door are trying to sell jesus. They create a situation where polite people get stuck talking to them and sometimes made to feel uncomfortable in their own property.

if you want to talk about god, put up posters and have a sermon for anyone that wants to come, if I want to talk about god, I'll go there, don't come to my house.

If you want to go on a mission to spread gods will, go to third world countries to help them irrigate their farms and build houses, don't go to russia to knock on doors.
            http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Originally posted by ÆNIMA

Honestly, you can ask a missionary for help any time, and he/she will do everything they can to help you. Unless it's something silly or just wrong.

Why is it that people need to ask him for help, but he'll come knocking on my door to talk about god? shouldn't it be the other way around?

next time a missionary comes to my house I'm gonna ask him to mow my lawn.

Comment

hmm

I hope you know where do you go. It may be quite surprising "trip" for someone from USA. I really hope that you know what are you doing. Two years are long time.
                Plutarch: "To find a fault is easy; to do better may be difficult."

Comment

Do yourself a favour and watch the Starvin Marvin episode on south park.
                  it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

What they do is more than just teach people, it's a lot more.

Did you completely ignore that?

I didn't choose where I was to go for my mission.

There are missionaries in 3rd world countries.

They don't knock on doors ALL DAY LONG. Missionaries call it tracting, they'll do it a couple hours a day, at the most. And always before it's dark.

Preaching in the middle of the road is a lot less personal. If you don't want to talk to a missionary in your home, you don't have to, you have you can politely turn people away. So don't tell me that we're intruding on anything.

If you believed in God and the Holy Spirit, it'd be a lot easier to explain to you. But since I don't think you do...that's the best that I can put it. Believe what you will.

Cops - I saw it...funny stuff!
                    Ну вот...

Comment

Preaching in the middle of the road is a lot less personal. If you don't want to talk to a missionary in your home, you don't have to, you have you can politely turn people away. So don't tell me that we're intruding on anything.
                      Personal experience begs to differ. The two vs one was a nice sales trick, but didn't help make me feel particularly open to talking about my religious beliefs. It's not Chick Tracts, but it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience.

Comment

If people wanted to join your church, wouldn't they just go join it? I don't think there are too many people out there that really want to join a church, but A) are too stupid to find the correct church and go to it, B) feel that the church doesn't want them, and are just DYING for someone from the church to come to their door and make them feel needed, or C) need to have a long conversation about Jesus on their own damn front doorstep before they'll decide to join. My front door isn't a soapbox. I respect that you're spending two years of your life doing something you believe in, but I don't see how going door to door is any different than selling something.

Comment

Originally posted by Facetious
                          If people wanted to join your church, wouldn't they just go join it? I don't think there are too many people out there that really want to join a church, but A) are too stupid to find the correct church and go to it, B) feel that the church doesn't want them, and are just DYING for someone from the church to come to their door and make them feel needed, or C) need to have a long conversation about Jesus on their own damn front doorstep before they'll decide to join. My front door isn't a soapbox. I respect that you're spending two years of your life doing something you believe in, but I don't see how going door to door is any different than selling something.
                          A) Not every church has equal footing. If someone is trying to find religion, trying to find the "correct" church on their own would likely go to the most common or the nearest. It's like buying a product; it's better for the consumer to be informed of the options available to him.

B) Many people feel too intimidated by churches to just walk in and enlist.

C) Most people probably won't be interested, but if they find one person who is then mission accomplished.

Don't forget that not everyone out there will react to people such as Aenima and their message the same way you do.

And you're right, it isn't much different than going door to door selling something. There's nothing wrong with that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                            C) Most people probably won't be interested, but if they find one person who is then mission accomplished.
                            I'm sorry TK, but that's the same idea behind one of the things I hate most--spam. That's their whole angle.

And while I know comparing the two isn't your intention, bombarding people with something that 99.9% of them aren't going to want is a crappy way of marketing whatever you're "selling." Sure, you might have made .01% of the people you talk to super happy, but at very least, a good 40% of people are going to be that much more sour towards your "product" because you interrupted their lives to talk about something that they could care less about.
                            Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Did you completely ignore that?

I didn't choose where I was to go for my mission.

There are missionaries in 3rd world countries.
                              !
                              I didn't ignore anything, you didn't give any examples of things that they do aside from knocking on doors, so I assumed it's all preachy stuff. If they did good stuff, it seems you would've been more eager to volunteer something like "they spend half the day feeding sick babies, and then they head over to the shelter to read to homeless nuns", but instead it sounds like they're just spreading the word, which doesn't seem like a great way to spend time to me.

I believe in god, just a more practical version. I don't think god could've created me the way that I am unless he could relate to me.

Don't get the wrong idea here. I really respect that you're willing to give so much of yourself for something that you think is right, even if I think the mission is completely misguided.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                                A) Not every church has equal footing. If someone is trying to find religion, trying to find the "correct" church on their own would likely go to the most common or the nearest. It's like buying a product; it's better for the consumer to be informed of the options available to him.

And you're right, it isn't much different than going door to door selling something. There's nothing wrong with that though.
                                Yeah, except that people that do this blatantly ignore "no soliciting" signs, because they think that what they're selling is somehow more important than everything else. When I'm watching TV, I expect advertisements for stuff. When I'm sitting at home on a break from school during the workday, I don't need some asshole accusing me of being unemployed and telling me that God will fix that.

I think it's cool that Aenima is willing to go overseas to a scary place for no pay to do something he believes in, I just think it'd be cooler if he converted people by helping the needy and showing them what his church is all about rather than bugging people at home.

Comment

Working...
                                X