Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any EGers?

Hey, any EGers reading this?

Do you know the status on EG leagues running?

If they're not going, maybe someone interested could step up, put together a proposal, run something. TW's done it quite a while and knowledgeable people could probably help some with planning logistics. Just need to get people interested. Then you need the guys with the keys to agree. But that's not so tough, if you have a good plan and they're not doing anything anyhow.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Hey Qan!

I've asked if there were any volunteers willing to do pretty much asking exactly what you are. A proposal or at least a thought out idea, and a promise to put in the effort and to show up. I would work with them as much as my abilities would allow and try to make it happen. The most recent ones had ideas and the starts of something but pulled out due to either it needing dev work or just losing interest. Any recent leagues played started with a player volunteering to help run a league and even with a few speedbumps, the leagues went decently well.

It being an open opportunity like this has always been the case for years and if anyone says we aren't open to leagues, it's simply because we ask people to put in the effort, not just to give us an idea and walk away. The offer is still open to anyone interested and I'd love to see a league happen. I would personally mentor them to get it done and would love to hand over the reins.

Maybe this is another place to yet again advertise that we are open to working with players if they're open to working with staff. All we ask is for basic respect and the above mentioned.

Feel free to hit me up on Discord if you have any questions - and that goes to anyone reading this.

Thanks!
    RaeRae

Comment

Thanks for posting this, RaeRae!

Was hoping to get a few EGers who are around TW these days to bite.

The dev need can be an issue. But it's often an imaginary need ... more of a desire for a perfect ideal. When TW had a lull in dev, we just went extremely low-tech (mostly forums), and it worked out fine. Often people have pretty grand ideas and get caught up on making things amazing, original, legendary ... But you don't need anything groundbreaking -- if it's just an agreement to play a league (and something draft is a good way to rebuild), there's not really that much needed other than one or two people to step up.

Anyone interested, please also feel free to "borrow"/steal any TW rules/materials you'd like. Maybe talk to a friend and see what they think about doing it together. As you can see, there's nothing standing in your way but time and a little bit of work. Then next season, hand it off to someone else. EG used to be the second most populated zone in the game. People want to play. Why not be the person to help bring it back together?
      "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."

Comment

I’ve run 2 successful leagues in EG and people have seemed to appreciate a league running. I would be willing to organize eg league but my conditions would probably limit it from happening. I would like to see EG merged with TW which I know would never happen.

it was difficult running a league without a central forum and through discord alone.

my proposal would be to have an EG section in TW forum. Would also like to see sub arenas that have eg settings where egbd and eg flagging could be played and the stats linked to the twd site.

If EG was more integrated into TW I’m sure there would be a large amount of EG players willing to come back but until that day I believe EG will remain dormant.
        In game alias: mvp

twdt-b 2017 finalist
        twlb 2020 and 2023 champ cheerleader
        twdt-b 2020 and 2021 champ

Comment

afghan It seems as though there's www.extreme-games.net/forum/ still active. Is there a reason this wouldn't work? (We could also link over to there if it would be useful.)

Running games on TWD and linking games to the TWD site would require some work, as well as approval by EG staff.

A key place to start would be simply trying to run a weekend league and seeing if you can gather some willing to play. TWers may also have some interest (as there are plenty of multi-zone players). That doesn't require much of anything special other than someone willing to put in work to organize. Steam announcements are also a possibility for gathering signups. If instead you place expectations at the virtually unreachable, you're guaranteeing failure.

Comment

Fuck fc

Comment

I would love to see a TW division for 4v4 and 5v5 EG baseduel.

Comment

Yeah I would totally play some EG basing again, whether it were basing games or duels. I bet a lot of TW players would if a few people from EG put it together and advertised it.
                Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                Message has been sent to online moderators
                2:BLeeN> veh yes
                (Overstrand)>no
                2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                2:BLeeN> ok then no
                :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Down to play some baseduel in TW
                  TWLD Champion 2014
                  TWDTB Champion 2013
                  TWDTB Champion 2016
                  TWDTB Champion 2017
                  TWDTB Champion 2019.. my last one.
                  -tj hazuki/hazuki :wub:

Comment

Hello, I played EG competitively from around 2006. Some people know me as Delete.

The two best leagues, that could work on TWD, and would also likely be popular with the TW population, are 1) Baseduel and 2) Eteduel. The 8v8 traditional flagging might be harder to setup by virtue of needing more initial interest.

EG was crying out for an automated system like TWD, and I'm sure if EG had their own Qan, as opposed to FC or some other buffoon running it, it would still be a thriving zone. NB- Raerae was actually one of the few good staff members in EG - and I'd vouch for her to get powers here to get things moving.

I guess the easiest way to make progress is to simply ask the sysops at EG if they'd relinquish a) settings b) bot code (not sure if EG and TW bots run on same core?) and c) maps (although these would be easy to replicate/make new.)

If the EG sysops won't give up the settings and claim they are proprietary, then we'd just need to find an ex-staff member who was disillusioned with the zone who had access to them, and then make a tweaked TW version. Worst case scenario we could have a go at replicating them from scratch, I'm pretty sure I could get close and I'd be happy to try.

Elitete could essentially be run on the same bot settings as 2v2 duel - but of course with a different map and different spawn points. Perhaps integrating with duel is an easier starting place than TWD. Baseduel would require some coding as there are two ways to win a) reaching opponent's safe or b) killing off the entire team. If there's anyone with bot coding experience I'd be happy to sit down for a few hours and explain the mechanics of each game play.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Agreed with mhz. About a year and a half ago or so FC/rae rejected the idea of giving tw the settings due to them wanting to have one last ditch effort, which was completely understandable. It worked for a little while but to be honest it was only because of the corona virus and people having nothing to do. They had their opportunity to take advantage of that time to make something like TWD, or anything, and unfortunately it did not work out.

Now there is no excuse as to why they wouldn't share the settings at this point. It is completely over with EG, as sad as that sounds =( but it doesn't have to be! share the settings with tw and let us enjoy EG again.

Comment

Yup, FC needs to acknowledge that EG isn't ever going to be revived, and it's better to hand over the reins and let the zone and community survive in another form than cling to some vestige of power.
                        Last edited by MHz; 12-05-2020, 11:54 PM.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

If EG baseduel were just a ?go like it was back when the zone were alive I think you'd not only see a lot of EGers using it but a lot of bored active TWD players to try it out.

If we had the settings/bots, we should have one member of staff at least be like the EG Tsar, get baseduel up and running and then start drumming up interest for a league. It would just take someone to step up. If I had more EG experience (I only played in two or three draft leagues) I would volunteer to do it as a former TW mod, but I think it would be better if it were someone from the community. MHz for Sysop.
                          Vehicle> ?help Will the division's be decided as well today?
                          Message has been sent to online moderators
                          2:BLeeN> veh yes
                          (Overstrand)>no
                          2:Vehicle> (Overstrand)>no
                          2:BLeeN> ok then no
                          :Overstrand:2:Bleen> veh yes
                          (Overstrand)>oh...then yes

Comment

Hey, Lee here, i thought i had a user here, but cannot remember pw anymore.
                            I was league-op in EG for 4-5 years or so and ran all sorts of leagues with other staff members. I completely agree with Rae that for most of time EG staff had never any problems people stepping up and running leagues. Problem was that FC with his tyrannical leadership and poor decision making more or less managed to drive majority of staff and players away from the zone (in one instance some sysop even tried to remove his powers or something). Last more or less decent league before Covid was years ago.
                            Due to that reason, EG population went through pretty big drop and what is worse (in EG sense) is that those players, who still kept playing subspace, eventually turned up in tw and i would assume by now, most of them already consider TW their "main" zone.
                            We already witnessed in that small successful league we had in spring that if there are simultaneous leagues going in tw and eg, people play tw as level of competition is still at reasonable level here.
                            Which brings me to understanding that tw and eg cannot ever really have leagues going on at the same time (and unfortunately the gametimes (sundays 2-5pm est) just are best for mainly us/euro playerbase). I doubt tw would take big pauses in leagues, so that will automatically remove any real chance of eg having any luck unless the league is hosted at totally different times, which will then just screw some playerbase.

Comment

If there's a will, there's always a way. TW doesn't necessarily even have to pause leagues, because all leagues have natural pauses between them regardless. If there is enough EG League interest, then it isn't really pausing anything anyway, since TW players will want to sign up and try it out too. It's essentially just adding another league.
                              RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
                              RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Working...
                              X