No announcement yet.

Javelin limit in PurePub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine sutdown greens are a bad idea, as this will damage the frequencies terrier more than it will damage the teamkiller.

I'd prefer a vote for the victim rather than having the whole team vote. DoCKBoT can autowarn/notify the teamkiller that teamkilling isn't allowed (I believe MTG:CTF has a similar bot for warnings), while the victim can !spec the teamkiller on the same bot for a few (30?) seconds if he wants.
    Last edited by Pixelsong; 02-15-2005, 12:26 PM.
    Put your nose up and shake your rear, spread your wings out, have no fear

Comment

Limit number of javs to 3 per freq in pure pub. and this voting thing, i dont think so.

NO Boys Allowed Forums

NoBA status:Recuiting

NO comment by lunar here what so ever

Enjoys: Stealing Dameon angells kills

Comment

Limiting is generally a good idea apart from the lockouting problems discussed further up. As for the 'gaining experience' thing... you don't have to do that in pure pubs, do you? While I prefer to Jav in a pure public, I probably wouldn't if I was learning to; too much responsibility.
        dim> if you want to go and suggest that black people are rapists, more so than white people. go and do it in real life, but you won't....because you'll get beaten up and you can only cope on a 2d spaceship game

Alinea> And let me apologize in advance if it comes across harsher than I would like because I definitely mean it in a let's-make-the-game-better-and-get-this-thing-released-cuz-I'm-getting-very-pregnant kind of way

3:Mattey> there is more to america than capitalism

Comment

Originally posted by Riesen
          The voting idea sounds neat as long as it's a fair vote.
          FUCKING LOL. You're asking pubbers to vote fairly?
          Originally posted by Tone
          It is now time for the energy shift of the 7th root race to manifest on the 3D physical plane and uplift us back to 5D.
          Originally posted by the_paul
          Gargle battery acid fuckface
          Originally posted by Material Girl
          I tried downloading a soundcard

Comment

While being a Pure Pub, its still a Public arena, therefore there will be no more ship limits. If people want to Javelin, thats fine, if people want to Cloak, thats fine, but if people team kill, then most of the time the Mods will be on it.
            "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
            • Shark
            • Dicer
            • Sager
            • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

Limiting sounds quite a cool idea, although people will hog the javs..
              USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
              ---A few minutes later---
              9:cool koen> you scorereseted
              9:Kim> UM
              9:Kim> i didn't
              9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
              9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
              9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
              9:pascone> lol?

Comment

All of your other solutions are idiotic...no offence, the voting system wont work...there was a Poll set up in ?go valentine (i think) 30 people in arena....6 voted. and plus you'll get people voting against others just so they can jav.
                The Engine shut down greens wont cause anything but complication....lets face it.
                And yes...creating a limit for the javs will make more people wanna jav...but if your urge to jav is that strong theres other pubs...Maybe a time limit or teamkill limit could be implicated as well. I havent thought this idea through so dont bash it. The teamkill limit could work. Similar to the Bot program I have seen in such arenas as ?go pockettanx and ?go mortars.

Once again my solution is simply a ship limit and an already existing bot addition to the arena...no complication

Comment

Pub should always be open to whatever game play you want, given that your interactions DO NOT greatly effect other players enjoyment.

Voting to remove team killers or voting to limit some players ability to use a ship- won't work

limiting javs- this will only cause fights over who gets to use it and I hope I dont have to remind everyone that the safes disconnect timer is at something like 30 mins. This will not discourage, prevent or remove team killing or even slow it down, if anything it will make the javlin's abilities special to public players (including its ability to team kill).

This is about making the pubs more fun... the focus should be on penilities for team killing... not limiting the use of any ship. I agree with TK that the moderation and supervision over the public arenas should always be a real person, my idea would place a bot there to respond to repeatitive team killers while bring more attention AND a record of this to a mod. This isn't prevention or removing team killing because without strict penalties like speclocking players (and as TK said, this would effect a lot of pub sharks with repelled bombs and mines) or some other far out idea which we'll never be able to do without Priitk's and the entire SS comunity's help, all that we can hope for is a system that discourages random and intentional team killing.

Engine shut down with energy depletion greens would be effective and I don't see how complicated that is. The bot would pickup on team kills, green them then would alert a mod though a chat channel or on staff chat- for repetitive Tks, the Mod then could decide if a warning/ban would be issued with futher onsight offenses (2d already has a bot that does this for pockettanks or another event -although it specs them for 5 mins or so). Greening them is a lot less harsh and less restrictive. I can understand the removal of levis for the pure publics but I don't think we're quite there yet with javs and this is a problem created by TW players which is not exclusive to javlins, why not solve it effectively?
                  Last edited by Kolar; 02-15-2005, 08:37 PM.

Comment

You guys are looking to deeply into this. All I'm saying is to test out a Javelin limit in Purepub on every second weekend or so....see how that works out. Keep it simple. Screw spec bots, voting systems, energy depletion greens, engine shut downs...keep it basic. BAM: 4 javs per team. done.

Javelin is a strong base defense ship...but it doesnt work when 90% of those basing are javs...if it did work then why would there be more than 1 javelin per team in ?go base ? and Kolar, how different is the change from how pubs are now to energy depletion system or Jav limitation system? Its just as big of a change.

Comment

Originally posted by MiKe_HawK
                      You guys are looking to deeply into this. All I'm saying is to test out a Javelin limit in Purepub on every second weekend or so....see how that works out. Keep it simple. Screw spec bots, voting systems, energy depletion greens, engine shut downs...keep it basic. BAM: 4 javs per team. done.

Javelin is a strong base defense ship...but it doesnt work when 90% of those basing are javs...if it did work then why would there be more than 1 javelin per team in ?go base ? and Kolar, how different is the change from how pubs are now to energy depletion system or Jav limitation system? Its just as big of a change.
                      If you're intent is to lower the number of team kills then you're idea will not work and would make the situation worse. I wouldn't mind having a jav limit though, just for the right reasons. Both ideas would take the same ammount of time to impliment and yeah, both would do something to publics, my idea would help prevent team killing yours... would make pubing more controlled and base like (Which I have no problem with or with it being tested.. to make Pure pubing better).

Comment

Simply limiting Javs won't work that well, because as some people have said before, there will be people a lot of the time that race to get in Jav, just so they can be one of the few, and they can freely suck at Jav or TK on purpose, while leaving the good Jav players stuck in a ship they aren't as good in and thus lowering the level of defense for base. Besides, say there is a limit on Javs, say what... 4 per team, what if the situation of battle changes, say like the opposing team uses the limit to it's advantage by adding more Warbirds or Weasels into the mix? Having a limit on ships would mean the defending team couldn't add more Javs to counter the opposition effectively. 've always been a fan of simply removing team damage, even though it takes away from realism it also eliminates problems like this, but then again it would probably turn around and make everyone go Shark or Jav without fear of TK, though bombs doing team damage but bullets don't isn't very realistic either.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
                        .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontrolz
                          If you weaken the cloakers less people will play as them, this will also reduce the number of javs you see, a main reason why people jav is because cloakers are attacking the flagroom from the roof, or just from mid. I think making hte cloakers big AGAIN, like they used to be will solve many problems that the tiny tyrants have caused.

EDIT: ALSO LESS ?CHEATER CALLS
                          A: That's a damn good observation.
                          Two: I gotta have more cowbell.
                          Thirdly: I know this is the wrong thread, but I really don't mind so much if I get X'd in mid or the fr, but that's not really where the X's congregate.

Most of the lamers just cruise around in the spawn trying to rack up kills to piss people off and pad their recs. I really don't mind X's, so long as their being used as basing ship. Another thing to mention is, usually there's gonna be a jav or terr around that is cool enough to let you know when there's an x, when you're in mid or the fr. Not the case when you're in a wb and you're dueling or sniping other wb's and spids in the spawn. When some newb x's you, there's no teamates that will let you know.

As far as the high amount of javs in pure pub, maybe it's just me, but I haven't noticed an unusually high amount of jav TK's in that pub than any other pub. I could be wrong, but from what I've noticed, players who use a jav in pure pub tend to have more skill than the other pubs. I think they usually have more experience and know where the jav firing points are located. That, and using common sense in respect to not firing into a crowd when your friendlies are there, and the use of ass bullets.

Comment

dont have a limit. just put punishment in.
                            i seem to be able to not kill any teammates, it's the other people that need to suffer.
                            thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

First you limit the usage of levs in pub. Now you want to limit the usage of javs. What's next, 1 terr per freq? Sigh, pubs are bad enough with the current settings as it is, don't make it worse.

Comment

1 terr per freq is going to far. I would never encourage implicating that rule. PurePubs have already been changed, another minor change wont be at all drastic, and once again if you dont like the settings in PurePub there are plenty of other Pub arenas to go to.

Darkmoor if you could change pubs what would you do? We still have pubs with regular settings...but not classic settings, stay out of Purepub if you dont like it...simple.
                                Edify, punishment has been put in...it hasnt been working if you didnt notice.

I've said all I have to say about this. Anything else I could say would be repeating.

Comment

Working...
                                X