This is what we're all about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
    "Plan - a scheme or method of proceeding developed in advance. Plan refers to any method of thinking out acts and purposes beforehand."

Note that the definition of 'plan' does not include proceeding or acting at random. It does not include simply throwing random ideas out on the table nor does it include implementing random ideas.

Illustrated another way...
    Our mission statement reads "We choose to build a house so that we have shelter and a place to live."
    Now we need to have a plan to build the house. Having a lot of people sitting around tossing out ideas like 'I think the house should be painted blue', or 'I think the house should have wood floors' might all be good ideas but do we start building the house right now? No, there needs to be a plan and the plan needs to satisfy the mission statement. The plan may be to build a two story split level house or it may be a one story brick ranch style house, as long as it provides shelter and gives us a place to live.
    Tossing out ideas without a plan in place serves no real purpose. Is there to be a garage or a fireplace? Not required according to the mission statement but these things might be nice to have. But imagine going to an architect and arguing about paint color or a fireplace before you have even decided what type of house you want.
    Thanks for defining the word "plan". I had no idea what this word meant until now. Ok, sorry for being a sarcastic asshole, but I've read dozens of your posts before and I know you're waaay too good of a writer to fall back on that cliche and condescending writing strategy. That aside, however...

I appreciate your point, but your analogy doesn't fit. The house, you referred to, has already been built. The house is the public basing system. The floor plans of the house are the Zone Objectives. What Moot is saying is the house needs a mid-level remodel to make it more functional---not to be gutted and rebuilt from the studs.

Functional how? Good question. Please refer to the Zone Objectives, as mentioned earlier. But more specifically: to increase competition, encourage teamwork, and promote basing.

My interpretation of this thread is that Moot is just letting people know that there will be a change in the works, and it's not going to be a simple one-tweak-fix. Change is not always easy for everyone, so it's important that people are notified beforehand, and this is the first stage of the notification process. I know people would like to know the specific changes that are coming. And my guess is there will be more specific information in the not-so-distant future, so please try and be patient until then. The best interests of the community are incredibly important, and please have faith that Moot is aware of this.

Thank you,
    Subjugation

Comment

My post apparently did not represent my attitude correctly if you feel that I was in any way being critical of Moot. Me 'defining' the word plan was a spin-off from 1ight's post that defined 'teamwork' and was meant to poke fun at the entire community for endlessly tossing out ideas from the peanut gallery without any understanding about direction. Some people promote different pub ideas, some people promote event ideas, some people promote teamwork ideas, some people promote ship changes, some people promote map changes, etc etc etc. When a new idea is implemented, it is currently difficult to say if it is successful or not. Everyone has an opinion, squeaky wheels here in the forums might get heard, but what do the numbers really say? ("When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind. Lord Kelvin, 1893").

The mission statement (to which I contributed at Moot's request) defines what we want the game/community to be about. A plan would define how we are to achieve those objectives. A plan implies organization of the steps that are going to be taken. A plan often includes metrics and milestones. Metrics tell you whether or not the various ideas are actually working. A simple example would be to compile numbers on previous pub usage, implement idea, re-measure pub usage and see if the expected results actually happened. Implementing ideas without doing this and/or implementing multiple ideas teaches us nothing. Milestones, with expected completion dates, helps getting things done in a timely fashion and allows an efficient way to stage new ideas for trial.

My posts have always been directed to the general population. I have faith that those with power have been, and will continue to be, aware that they hold in their hands the future of the game/community that many of us enjoy.

Comment

Theoritically it looks so nice, but practically its nothing like the stuff you named.

Comment

Originally posted by Clichy View Post
          Theoritically it looks so nice, but practically its nothing like the stuff you named.
          7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
          Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
          TWLJ Champion Season 11
          TWLB All-Star Season 10
          Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

1. “The ultimate goal of Trench Wars is the development and maintenance of an on-line community that fosters teamwork.”

Ok this means the Pub focus needs to get on Basing, since there is a flag to concour it would be weird to have people work together on killing eachother in spawn as wb.

2. “We acknowledge that we are, first and foremost, a gaming community that should represent the highest level of play for an online game. Teamwork is a primarily consideration for our community since we believe that there is nothing we can do as individuals that we cannot do better as a team.”

Yes, you just said teamwork is important, however you add the word "competitive" this time, very good, that is what makes people play this game, not because of the good looks but because of the competitive gameplay.

3. “To maintain the game play focus of this zone; Basing, and to promote it to newer players and establish it within the community (Publics), while not neglecting other aspects of Trench Wars, such as the dueling aspect of Trench Wars.”

You make 2 points about wanting to have people work as a team on holding the flag, yet those who play dueling in pub should not be pushed into basing.
            Weird, you want everyone to base but not those who don't at the moment.

4. “To maintain the competitiveness within the zone, by introducing new players to TWD and TWL respectively.”

yes, TWD and TWL should get active.

----------------------------------------------------------

What should be done now is trying to reach these goals without changing the game enough to make people not like it anymore.

People do not like to see their shipsettings changed, people do not like to adapt to a new map. Well atleast not many of them, those will leave, those who like it wont bring them back.

Remember Dock> saying a change in pub settings or map should not be done.

But does this matter for reaching the goals?

no, ship settings neither a change of map is needed to achieve:

teamwork with the focus on base
            competitive gameplay

First we need to see the problem and why it needs change.

why do people not work together enough to get the flag in pub?
            because there is not much of a reward for holding the flag - why get flag?
            the answer to this should be very clear and encourage people to get the flag and work together as a team for it.

by completing this you will get - teamwork with focus on base and competitive gameplay.

what is my solution?

simply: a bot like the one in ?go base without shiprestrictions/speccing people

You are thinking the levi will still ruin the basing? could be, perhaps people care enough for base levi does not make a problem anymore.
            Levi still is a problem, do we need to fuk up the levi players and change their ship to achieve basing while levi can happen?
            NO - limiting 1 levi per freq / levi is worth something-has base to kill, levi is wanted-people will play more to get most points so they can pick levi.

A simple way of achieving teamwork and competitive gameplay without fuking up anyones game too much.
            Only the loyal count.

Comment

A world without change, is a dead world.
              "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
              • Shark
              • Dicer
              • Sager
              • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

lets see; a world without a love is not worth living for.

if you change my love I would perhaps think the world is not worth living for.
                if you add a second love i would love living more likely.

change is bad, addition is good.
                however my idea does have some change.

If you have this commitee and are here just because you like change find someone else to replace your possition. Your changes should have a goal. it is what I tried to get clear.
                Only the loyal count.

Comment

I don't know where to begin, but I will comment on your last paragraph anyway. The Public Committee is here because Pure_Luck thought it would be a good idea to get a group of players who have had a lot of experience in Publics and discuss changes that are may or may not needed.

In my opinion, and many others, the Public arenas are a mess. They show little competitiveness and consistency. I don't know why you keep calling me to resign from my position. Change is necessary in this case in order for this zone to survive. For too long have people in positional power made changes without realising the future consequences. And the Trench Wars you see today, are because of those changes. What baffles me the most is that you're calling that my changes have no goals? Did you even read the first post? Unlikely.

Limiting ships is a sure fire way of losing our population. We have four Publics during the busy time of Trench Wars. That's eight Leviathans in total not counting private frequencies. At least with the Public Committee's Leviathan proposal, it lessens the effect on basing and allows anyone to step into the ship, which is what Public is about. You are against ruining the environment for Leviathan players, but out of a massive population, you're allowing only eight. Ok.

I have stated many times that timed-games are a good idea, and are most likely going to be implemented in the future, but a single change will not fix everything.
                  "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
                  • Shark
                  • Dicer
                  • Sager
                  • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

new players

Are there any stats of numbers of new players? I guess there is nothing representative but at least number of downloads from getcontinuum or trenchwars site. Maybe also new nicks registration (with unique email) or something. (yes, i know, some players register new nicks all the time... but I just would like to have an general idea about the numbers)
                    Or is there a feature which can show how many new nicks are actualy used for more then 5 mins?
                    Oh, and how big is active player base? (both TW and SS)

EDIT: or number of new members on forum? might be easist to find out?
                    Last edited by Volny; 11-19-2006, 09:04 AM.
                    Plutarch: "To find a fault is easy; to do better may be difficult."

Comment

Originally posted by Sumpson View Post
                      lets see; a world without a love is not worth living for.

if you change my love I would perhaps think the world is not worth living for.
                      if you add a second love i would love living more likely.

change is bad, addition is good.
                      however my idea does have some change.

If you have this commitee and are here just because you like change find someone else to replace your possition. Your changes should have a goal. it is what I tried to get clear.
                      You're a moron.

Plain and simple.

End of discussion.

Stop posting.

Fool.
                      7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                      Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                      TWLJ Champion Season 11
                      TWLB All-Star Season 10
                      Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

Perhaps it was a bad example.

this would be better.

You got your own house, set up with all the stuff you like.

however this gets taken away from you and you get some new house with all different kind of stuff but more expensive and better.

most will like their own house they choose with all their stuff.

Just pointing out change can be very wrong.

Voth, wtf? its time for you to quit this bullshit and stop posting, I notice allot of crap and dumb pictures all around this forum from you.
                        Only the loyal count.

Comment

Originally posted by Mootland Farmer View Post
                          Please, don't lecture me. I know what teaming is. Removing private frequencies is unrealistic, just like trying to remove Leviathans was sadly..

The primary goal is promote Basing in Publics right? That's not the not the only goal. We have to cater for people who want to duel as well. Some people like to mess around on a private frequency, and that's fine as well. Since Publics are going to be the same, you can find one that has no private frequencies.
                          Well, so far you don't seem to understand. Of course you have your views and oppioins, I respect that. For me it seems so clear, if you look at the aspect of the game. If its about getting the flag and keep the flag, if that is the main point in the game, should the action not be in base inside where the flag is?

Thats what stubles me, that private freqs is there. People can still duel, if there are not private freq. You can mess around in base. Why is there a ?go duel, if one would not duel? Why duel in pub, if the game point in pub is the get the flag, if the game now is about getting the flag?

If you look at DSB, there shouldn't be any priv freq there, and yet you see loads of people in the duel areena, at least I saw, when I playied.

You might wonder why I still talk about TW, without playing? I have a long gaming experience in tw. I'm a swiftlearner. And I've spent countless of hours in the pub, while my squadies have been saying that the pub is shit.

As I've said before, if the game gets spread out he whole big map TW has, it becomes a desert in base and quietly it just dies out.

More about priv freqs, would you play in a pub with only 2 freqs or a pub with 12+ freqs? 4 players in base, 2 trying to get base, 3 LTs, rest in spawn or roof or chasing the LTs or humping safe and of course 1 or 2 in spec. You tell me, I've seen these kind of pubs in my days. DO you think it promote a enjoyable game, is it really that fun? I guess it is.

Thats my rant and killing time.

@Voth, you probably didn't even read what sump said, earlier? Why trash when you don't read?
                          Endless space, endless exploration.

Comment

I can't really comment on this topic as I am part of that parasidic LT communtiy. My views slant more toward clearing the FR in one shot, sorry-- thats how i was raised.
                            sigpic

Comment

ill throw a map into this endless story, its up at twdev in ?go neotw. it is a pub map, a event map or a twl map just alike. it has a lot of you guys ideas in it, the tiles are still a lil messed up and some walls might be placed diffenet in the final map but the ideas behind it get across. like:

- Levi Shield
                              - Roof Access Restriction
                              - Lower Tube Shortening
                              - Save Reduction
                              - Antiwarp / Save access inside Base (dont say no, look at it)
                              - big spawn
                              - new tiles, graphic and sound in 24 bit
                              (write me an email or dl from www.filefactory.com/file/39c271/)
                              - anti cram entrance change
                              - additional boki stye entrances
                              - base arms into spawn
                              - "round" walls
                              - a slightly bigger Flagroom
                              - big similarities with the current pub
                              - good chi tile placement

it should be able to allow big bomb levis in there and big cloakers, post comments please or at least look at it

Comment

Working...
                              X