No announcement yet.

How to fix the zone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is the declining population of subspace overall. Sure, we still have the most amount of people in subspace but look at the other zones. HZ used to have a steady population of 80-120, now the only time they reach 100 is afternoons, or important events. You can't really blame the TW staff for the falling population since it is happening in all zones. The only real blame we can lay on the staff is their poor organization of events such as TWL.
    9:Everett> well with pascone in -f-, our squad standards just experienced a decrease of 150%

Comment

Originally posted by Sumpson
      :voth:very nice they found good players to train noobs within a squad, not many good players will like that, and probably many of the good penetrate members will leave for better squads once they are tired of it

:voth:anyway, with the idea i set up people will like to play with noobs more often, and try to get them to competitive level
      derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Originally posted by turmio
      jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
      Originally posted by grand
      I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

View from a Pub Lifer.

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        The problem is the declining population of subspace overall. Sure, we still have the most amount of people in subspace but look at the other zones. HZ used to have a steady population of 80-120, now the only time they reach 100 is afternoons, or important events. You can't really blame the TW staff for the falling population since it is happening in all zones. The only real blame we can lay on the staff is their poor organization of events such as TWL.

Ive been here 8 years, 6 on this name. The population back in 2000 was around 150-200 people 2005 or so it was like 580+. I looked just now at 12:24am est its like 350 , during the day its around 200+ It's like history repeating it self.

I am a PUB player that very rarely ventured into elim or events unless its a certain few. I think there is to much diversity in events, eg. hosting an event in more then 1 arena. This I think makes people only play an event if its hosted in a certain arena. There is way to many elims, that did devide up the populace that hung in elim.

People are directed into pub and it's the first thang they see. They don't even know commands like ?help. I don't think you need to mess with pub settings or ship settings. What I think needs to be looked at is how many staff frequent pub arenas. A new player will ask questions in the pub chats, where they get answered or told esc q is what they need to do. The years I have played and I have alot of hours logged into pub, is that I rarely see any staff member that can be identified as a zone representitive ever in pubs to answer these questions. *yes there is from time to time but over all*

This is one of the big reasons I can see that is hurting the new blood that joins this community. Only time you see any staff, is for rules being broken.
        You need more pub players on staff. This is the heart of the community, they start here, they come back here after venturing out to areas like elim and hosted events. When you keep pubs manned with staff to lead the new player. That inturn gives a better chance for elim and other areas to create an influx of new blood. Improving skill levels along the way and creating competition.

And by no means is this an attack on staff, as I think the staff of 2006 has a very good line up with the most approchable and respectable members ever assembled in one organization at any one time. This is my view as it only stems from staff, I have actually dealt with and talked to during my stay in TW.
        The Earth does not belong to us, We belong to the Earth. * Chief Joseph *

Oen Izan> I am the KING of NEWBS! self appointed but still a king, none the less.

Oen Izan> Bow before me and kiss the scepter, you may get to view the royal jewels.

:chris: "Captain! There's a steering wheel sticking out of your pants!"

:pirate2: "Arr, it's drivin' me nuts!"

Comment

While staff can/should help new players. Why can't the more mature (please try to take me seriously here) players of Trench Wars help too? This needs to be a two-way effort. We can't just load up Staff with Publics players. Instead, the better Public players should be helping newer players as well.

I have started a Public squad, and invited newer players to join, with a few better Public players to help them. I help them with commands and basics of basing. You don't have to make a squad, but by leaving it just down to staff to help new players is only going half-way.

Oh, and the settings play a big part in the new players. They may as well see each Public arena as a separate event/arena because they pretty much are anyway. This also leads to your problem of competition. Until Publics are more consistent, you won't see much more competition. Especially in basing.
          "What is it? Um . . . what do you want it to be?" ?€”Juzba, Izzet tinker
          • Shark
          • Dicer
          • Sager
          • Trench Wars Map Uploader

Comment

Moot, having public players help these new players is simply unrealistic. How many people are willing to spend 10-20 minutes to explain the whole game to them? Perhaps a few pubbers who really want to help new players but expecting the players to explain the game to each new player is just unrealistic.

The problem with subspace is its extremely high learning curve (chat commands, changing arenas...etc). It really isn't that user-friendly like many other MMORG or whatever the abbreviations is. The attractions public provide is usually not enough for a beginning player to stay addicted. Competition is non-existant in pubs.

Right now, there is not a "fix" that will bring the zone back to its old popularity. Personally, I really doubt hosting is apart of the solution. We may get temporary players who hope to get a event hosted but in the long run, we need to attract players to dueling, basing, or javing.
            9:Everett> well with pascone in -f-, our squad standards just experienced a decrease of 150%

Comment

Originally posted by Mootland Farmer View Post
              While staff can/should help new players. Why can't the more mature (please try to take me seriously here) players of Trench Wars help too? .

They can, but STAFF members are the ones that should take the heavy end. It's why they accepted to be a member of staff. As I mentioned above, some pub players try to help them, but a staffer is who should be doing it.

Oen Izan> I am the KING of NEWBS! self appointed but still a king, none the less.

Oen Izan> Bow before me and kiss the scepter, you may get to view the royal jewels.

Comment

Thanks Kolar and deans
                3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
                3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
                3:i.d.> da fk is that?
                3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
                3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
                3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
                3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
                3:Shadowmere> LOL
                3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
                Shadowmere> Rofl
                Up in ya !> With his feet
                Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
                Up in ya !> l44t feet
                Deft> l44t f44t*
                Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
                Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                  Moot, having public players help these new players is simply unrealistic. How many people are willing to spend 10-20 minutes to explain the whole game to them? Perhaps a few pubbers who really want to help new players but expecting the players to explain the game to each new player is just unrealistic. .
                  It shouldn't BE unrealistic. So many people are complaining about the state of the zone and want to see something done to improve it. If that's the case then they should do something about it. It shouldn't take a 20 minute effort, and a lot of it can come just from cooperative gameplay, and maybe some team chat.

That last point is a major difference between today's game and that from a few years ago. People don't talk in yellow chat any more. All you see is blue text full of trash talking and other garbage.

Comment

And by no means is this an attack on staff, as I think the staff of 2006 has a very good line up with the most approchable and respectable members ever assembled in one organization at any one time. This is my view as it only stems from staff, I have actually dealt with and talked to during my stay in TW. -- Oen

At the risk of offending people, I can hardly agree with you on this one. When staffers like Erathia, YoMama, Pusher, Dock>, 2dragons, Weaver, Cpt.Guano, Ghost Ship etc etc etc were active, that is when staff was at its peak.
                    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Sertifi. View Post
                      Thanks Kolar and deans
                      You are very welcome, Sertifi.
                      1:Kthx> Hey Cower ill let you play the next game if you can name me five medieval weapons.
                      1:Cower> Sword
                      1:Kthx> ok
                      1:Cower> Axe
                      1:Kthx> WAIT, YOU GOT IT
                      1:Cower> ?
                      1:Kthx> GET OFF THE CHAT

Comment

I find it very unreasonable to load all of the pressure onto Staff. Yes, we should take an active role in helping, but staffers cannot also spend 20-30 minutes with a player teaching them the ends of the game. A more realistic approach like Troll King said is just talking to players, giving them one tip, or showing them how to play effectively.
                        • Shark
                        • Dicer
                        • Sager

Comment

Originally posted by kthx View Post
                          And by no means is this an attack on staff, as I think the staff of 2006 has a very good line up with the most approchable and respectable members ever assembled in one organization at any one time. This is my view as it only stems from staff, I have actually dealt with and talked to during my stay in TW. -- Oen

At the risk of offending people, I can hardly agree with you on this one. When staffers like Erathia, YoMama, Pusher, Dock>, 2dragons, Weaver, Cpt.Guano, Ghost Ship etc etc etc were active, that is when staff was at its peak.
                          Wark/Kthx,

Read the bold print. What you have is your view. I am talking as a whole group and not singling one/few out. Yomama < I talked to alot and a good guy, Pusher I never have, Dock> only in 2001 when I was a ZH, 2dragons , dont recall ever talking to him and Weaver, good guy as I talk to him more within the past 2 years then ever. Capt. Guano , talked to him before staff back like what 4 years ago i think , never after getting staff and Ghost Ship , never talked to.

Comment

I find it very unreasonable to load all of the pressure onto Staff. Yes, we should take an active role in helping, but staffers cannot also spend 20-30 minutes with a player teaching them the ends of the game. A more realistic approach like Troll King said is just talking to players, giving them one tip, or showing them how to play effectively.
                            May I ask why a ZH can't take 20-30 minutes to explain this? ZONE HELPing is there job , to showing new players the ropes should also be there job. If staff members are to watch over the game and its players, don't have time for that. Why did they accept to be a member of staff?

People in the game that arn't staff are here to play. Staff members are here to maintain the game.

Comment

I'm sure in your 8 years of playing you could have spared 20minutes? I also agreed that Staff should be involved with new players, but I think you proved in your post above, that the reason we are losing competition, is also the fact that the 'better' players aren't willing to help.
                              • Shark
                              • Dicer
                              • Sager

Comment

I'm sure in your 8 years of playing you could have spared 20minutes? I also agreed that Staff should be involved with new players, but I think you proved in your post above, that the reason we are losing competition, is also the fact that the 'better' players aren't willing to help.
                                I have spared more then 20 minutes in my span. I am rather well known in Pubs from my mouth and my time spent helping and fratenizing with new players and old alike.

Zh should be the ones involved more, and it doesn't take a 'better' player to give out the basic information to a new player as they ask it in "blue pub chat" Anyone with basic knowledge can do that as well. I do see it happen.
                                But pushing that on to every day players and using that as a scape goat is clearly wrong. If you don't want do to your job you agreed to take and not get paid for. Why you here? <- directed not just at you Moot everyone as a whole.

We are losing people because there is none to very little staff presence in pubs where 98% of all the new players that enter the game stay and try to make head or tails of the game play.

We don't lose many because of players in pub, we lose it becuase the fact any new player coming into the game look for staff, that's whom every new player thinks of when trying to learn and or under stand the game at hand. Be it TW to WOW.

Comment

Working...
                                X