No announcement yet.

Distension Beta Suggestions/Bugfix thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still working. Got a lot of stuff done yesterday -- not so much today, though. Basically what's left is the reward system for beta testers, the F1 Help, and various odds and ends (finishing commands for Ops fake mining ability, implementing the slew of LVZ extras, such as unlock msgs, round type descriptions, win/lose LVZ [going to make it work, despite needing to send out a msg to every player]). To test these new features, I'll still need a small group of testers, who will not only be the first to play the public version, but will also get to keep any RP earned on their otherwise pristine new accounts.

I should also have Monday off, which I'd like to slate for a public release. Starting back on my second bachelor's on Tuesday, so that will pretty much be the deadline. I always liked to play it close...

Comment

• Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
      Still working. Got a lot of stuff done yesterday -- not so much today, though. Basically what's left is the reward system for beta testers, the F1 Help, and various odds and ends (finishing commands for Ops fake mining ability, implementing the slew of LVZ extras, such as unlock msgs, round type descriptions, win/lose LVZ [going to make it work, despite needing to send out a msg to every player]). To test these new features, I'll still need a small group of testers, who will not only be the first to play the public version, but will also get to keep any RP earned on their otherwise pristine new accounts.

I should also have Monday off, which I'd like to slate for a public release. Starting back on my second bachelor's on Tuesday, so that will pretty much be the deadline. I always liked to play it close...
      are the tests going to be at the most recent times or are they moving back to the old ones? or something totally different? I would like to know either through the forums or ?msg me in game. see you in the release

Comment

• Distension supporters it seems that distensionbot is online in #distension 24hr for the moment.

I am not sure if it is really 24 hr tho, so please check and report.

Comment

• qan> let them know it'll get done sometime. heh

-__-"
          The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
          SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy H.K. View Post
            Distension supporters it seems that distensionbot is online in #distension 24hr for the moment.

By whose authority? That's unacceptable. The currently-compiled code is in a halfway point between release and debug, and should not be running under any circumstances. I hope you're joking! At this point I need to control its running very tightly, and find it hard to believe that someone would run it at this point without having asked or even notified me.

As for progress, it's almost done, both in terms of code and LVZ additions, of which there are quite a few. Unfortunately that Labor Day I thought I'd have all day to work on Distension was usurped, leaving me with just smatterings of time to get it done. But it's moving along and I'll need to do the testing mentioned before fairly soon.

One thing that I'd like to see added is a couple of flag graphics, one for each army. At this point I think the beta army names are going to stick. I'm also changing the army colors to red and blue, which are more recognizable. Red for People's Republic of Misanthropy, and Blue for Intergalactic Planetary, Inc. However, not having the time or much talent in design, I could use a hand with these. Essentially what I'm looking for are two flags similar to national banners... for People's Republic, I'd like no text on the flag, and maybe a parody on the old hammer-and-sickle USSR flag. Perhaps two intersecting items symbolic of a more modern communist government, but arrayed in a similar fashion. For the other, I'd like something that looks a bit like a corporate logo -- simple but memorable, with strong elements of blue for identification purposes. The name can be used, or it can just have "IP" or "IP, Inc."

If you're interested, I'll give a large reward, on the order of a bonus applied over 25,000RP, if the designs are accepted. This is for both flag designs. For one I'll give a bonus over 10,000RP. If there's more than one design for each I'll pick the best. The size of the flag should be about maybe a quarter of the total size of the rearmament area, either to fit on the side/above/below the rearm area, or to fit underneath it, below where people will spawn. It should also be identifiable if it's shrunk down to 25% size, as that'll be about the size it will show up as on each player's HUD. The deadline for flag submissions is this Friday, so hop on it if it sounds interesting. Doesn't have to be too fancy -- just a solid basic design is ideal. Please ?msg me a link to it in PDF format (or high-res form if you aren't using Photoshop).

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy H.K. View Post
              Distension supporters it seems that distensionbot is online in #distension 24hr for the moment.

?find distensionbot
              Not online, last seen 5 days ago

How about you stop spreading rumours that you randomly hear?
              3:Wax> ard and i snapchat all the time
              3:Wax> we play virtually tummysticks
              3:i.d.> da fk is that?
              3:Ardour> we basically are each others personal psychologist
              3:Shadowmere> i.d., Wax breaks keyboards playing SubSpace. Best not ask him what anything is.
              3:Wax> Tummy sticks is the situation, commonly referred to as a game, in which two erect men cuddle closely and face-to-face causing their two erect penises, or sticks, to push upwards between their stomachs, or tummys.
              3:Wax> Sticks combine with tummys, hence the name "tummy sticks."
              3:Shadowmere> LOL
              3:i.d.> Oddly, that's close to what I thought it was...

Best> I never cooked a day in my life

Deft> beat by a guy who plays ss on his cellphone
              Shadowmere> Rofl
              Up in ya !> With his feet
              Deft> no kidding, redefining l44t
              Up in ya !> l44t feet
              Deft> l44t f44t*
              Up in ya !> Twinkle toes
              Deft> he had l33t f33t but he practiced

Comment

• Originally posted by Sertifi. View Post
                ?find distensionbot
                Not online, last seen 5 days ago

How about you stop spreading rumours that you randomly hear?
                you got some brown stuff on your nose there.
                perhaps it happened on your long trip on the bandwagon?

get the fuck out, thanks.
                The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

• Well, I am in the Distension chat. That day, I checked the chat, I see the bot, I ?go $distension, it was there, nobody else. My levels were there, but my upgrades were gone.

Now, let's take a look at the date:
                  Today: Sept 8
                  Sertifi posted on: Sept 8
                  My last post on: Sept 2
                  Bot last online on: 5 days ago (based on Sertifi's post)
                  5 days before today is: Sept 3

So I believe the bot was still online for some time after my post!

Sorry for disappointing anyone who consider my last post a "release announcement". Sorry Sertifi.

Comment

• Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
                    for People's Republic, I'd like no text on the flag, and maybe a parody on the old hammer-and-sickle USSR flag. Perhaps two intersecting items symbolic of a more modern communist government, but arrayed in a similar fashion.
                    My vote goes for a good old-fashioned skull and crossbones motif in place of the soviet hammer and sickle. That seems as good a way to symbolize the 'misanthropy' bit of the name as anything else I can think of.

Roll on the public release!

Comment

• something along the lines of the starwars intergalatic republic symbol for IP, that's kinda what i always thought it was anyway
                      .fffffffff_____
                      .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                      .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                      .fffffff\______/
                      .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                      .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                      .fffff\________/
                      .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                      .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                      .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                      .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                      .fff\__________/

Comment

• Thanks to those who sent in flag designs. In the end I decided to go with a couple of my own designs -- I should have just gone ahead myself, as I was fairly particular about how it should look. They aren't too hideous, both working well with the new red/blue motif, which I think is easier to understand than green/purple. Blue and red are far more predictable, but sometimes it's just best to go with what people know. As previously mentioned, the flag display will also now glow either red or blue when there's a hold, to show who in particular has the hold (if you can't tell by the color of the bases). Each also will glow rapidly when within 10 seconds of a win.

The tiles were changed somewhat, brightened up a bit. I think I managed to do it without sacrificing much in the way of depth of color, and now everyone will actually be able to see the walls. The bottom base has the most noticeable change: it's now rather blue, instead of a faded green. The inner blocks are a sort of icy color now as well, bringing home the overall motif, and coupled with the flags, making it completely unmistakable which base is which army's "home" base. Unfortunately the flags aren't in yet, but I may upload those tomorrow along with other new LVZ items. Having a managable amount of work to do this weekend, I hope to tackle a brief A1 LVZ recommending new players hit F1, and then the F1 itself.

Comment

• I'm assuming that the gears are turning and that the massive machine that is distension is almost done with it's tune-up. Whether it's a week, or Christmas by the time it comes out is begining to be a moot point for me. What I'm more concerned with now is when it will be hosted, not when it will come out.

Has there been any progression on the debate as to when, how often, and how long it will be hosted? Unfortunately, i'm not in school anymore so i can't skip classes to play

I think the only reason I'm still playing this game is distension. If it finally goes public and I can't play it because of time constraints, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Give me hope.
                          .fffffffff_____
                          .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
                          .ffffff|ff __fffff|
                          .fffffff\______/
                          .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
                          .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
                          .fffff\________/
                          .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
                          .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                          .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
                          .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
                          .fff\__________/

Comment

• Originally posted by DankNuggets View Post
                            Has there been any progression on the debate as to when, how often, and how long it will be hosted? Unfortunately, i'm not in school anymore so i can't skip classes to play

I think the only reason I'm still playing this game is distension. If it finally goes public and I can't play it because of time constraints, I don't know what I'm gonna do.
                            Initially it will not be available all day -- I'd like to grow demand and get a lot of people hooked again by many regular long hosts and not at predictable times before we see if we can make it work as a constant thing. It's certainly going to be online more than in beta, and unlike beta, will not require a staff member present at all times, just as Elim doesn't and Pub doesn't. But at the same time I want to ensure that the new features in Public work properly, and that we don't kill the fun by running it too much and too soon. In my mind I'm imagining 3 phases:
                            • Initial release. Limited running, most likely done with a member of staff who is already familiar with the Distension beta process. Working out any kinks, and drawing in new players is the goal.
                            • Mid. Bot is started up more regularly, and players who send requests for Distension to be started should be in many cases answered with the bot being loaded. The senior ERs and Mods should be able to start the game, and to run it as long as they see interest. Special "hosted" games will allow hosts to alter certain aspects of the game, such as giving a special host RP bonus, or allowing awards to be given (displayed to log, in arena msg and to Distension chat to prevent abuse) based on certain conditions. At this point, the goal is that anyone who wants to play Distension regularly should have the option to do so.
                            • Final. Now with a significant population built, Distension should be able to run at almost all times, ideally without too severe a drop in population. This is a goal, and not necessarily something that will actually occur. Should there be enough interest, it will be the inevitable result. At this point, certain features may be implemented to prevent grinding, such as giving bonuses to players who didn't play much yesterday, or reducing the amount of RP given after playing 2 or 3 hours in one day, ramping down to maybe a max penalty of 50% after 5 or so hours spent playing in a day.
                            Hope that assuages you to some degree. I plan to make this work for everyone. It will certainly be available at a variety of times, even in the early stages.

For those interested, today I plan to run a limited test of the bot in public form. The new code is finally to the state where I think it's worth running it and seeing what happens. I haven't been working much on it as I'm taking more than a full load of classes and also working a good bit, leaving on many days as much as 2 hours or as little as about 20 minutes of free time. But it's getting there, and will not be abandoned. I'm balancing keeping my sanity by using some of that spare time to not work on anything and to work on various projects, this being at the top of the list. For example I've stopped writing altogether, except for class, which is rather shitty. Well, maybe once Distension is done I'll be able to get back to that.

See you today if you're around.

Comment

• Could someone im me when this finally goes public 24/7?

AIM: jngy slate

Comment

• Is there any way the ECT can help you my friend?

Comment

Working...
                                X