Competing with WoW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competing with WoW

Holy shit, its 141am here and im watching teletoon. I just saw two commercials. Mr. T. and William shatner.... WILLIAM SHATNER! doing plugs for WoW.....

TW! WE need to do something!

lmao i saw that the other day i was like omg....

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer. View Post
      TW! WE need to do something!
      SM closed due to aids.

Comment

i fail to see how we are competing... I dont like WoW, i still like subspace

completely different games, draw completely different crowds, and people either love it or hate it for both games.

besides like... all of pallies, i fail to see who really left us for WoW anyway
        RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
        RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

You can not compete unless the SS product has a future. It is currently someone's sandbox, offered for free. Mr Arrogant epitomizes this fact. WoW has a cash machine feeding it and it's future product development.

Although it is true that new players can be attracted to this game, holding them here is virtually impossible if the game has no future roadmap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
            Although it is true that new players can be attracted to this game, holding them here is virtually impossible if the game has no future roadmap.
            I have my own personal community based project on ensuring SubSpace's future. Whether it will be a sucess remains to be seen, don't expect anything substancial untill next christmas. I need to learn alot and very quickly. If I get is right, SS will become much more than it is today (Thats a big IF). SubSpace 1.5 (Continuum) will still around for a couple of years in its current form, but now it the time to start developing the sequel, development takes time.
            Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
            Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
              i fail to see who really left us for WoW anyway
              Demonfaze and Fireballz
              TWLD Season 8 Champion: -FINAL-
              TWLJ Season 9 CHampion: Syndicate

Goddess> i haven't had sex in over 5 years now because i'm waiting for someone who's worth marrying ... which will most likely never happen so i figure ima be a nun without catholism

Colonel> rofl.. goddess hasn't had sex in 5 years because thats how long its been since someone has actually been able to find her cooch

Comment

Yeah, I'll agree it caters to a different audience. To play WoW you must have three prerequisites:

- You must immensely enjoy collecting useless things. This comprises the set of all viewers of the Home Shopping Network.

- You must consider hitting numbers and making the same calculation over and over again to be a "game." This set of individuals is equal to the set of all accountants.

- You must imagine yourself to be "exploring" when you enter the exact same cave design which you've already seen in 26 other places. This set is limited to the set of all people who are idiots.

The most fascinating part of this analysis? The intersection of these three sets comprises the largest MMOG playerbase ever to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Flabby View Post
                  I have my own personal community based project on ensuring SubSpace's future. Whether it will be a sucess remains to be seen, don't expect anything substancial untill next christmas. I need to learn alot and very quickly. If I get is right, SS will become much more than it is today (Thats a big IF). SubSpace 1.5 (Continuum) will still around for a couple of years in its current form, but now it the time to start developing the sequel, development takes time.
                  As someone who owns a technology company that brings hardware and software products to market, I am aware of what it takes to make that happen.

Do you have the legal intellectual property rights to bring a new version to market? How is the server bandwidth issue going to be addressed?

Comment

When you put stuff like that, everything sucks, gdug.

FPS games is the same with the exception that the pixels and weapon effects looks differently from game to game, right?

With thinking like this, you can call everything useless and boring.

Shooting the same set of spaceships over and over with different sets of bullets is for those too stupid to see how mindlessly repetetive it is.

Guess what game I did just now.
                    Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                      Do you have the legal intellectual property rights to bring a new version to market? How is the server bandwidth issue going to be addressed?
                      The registered trademark SubSpace expired in 2005. Thus resolving that legality. This version is not going to use any existing code. The only issue would be using media (sounds/graphics) original to the game, as the game is going to use a custom 3D engine (and thus need new ship models anyway) this will not be a problem.

Server bandwidth is cheap nowdays. It costs significantly less than it used to. To put it in perpective, I can get 1000GB/month of bandwith for 20$ a month, my mobile phone bill is in the region of $60-80 each month.
                      Last edited by Doc Flabby; 12-17-2007, 12:06 PM.
                      Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                      Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

william shatner was at my college the other day lol

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
                        1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
                        1:Freeze> LOL FAR
                        ---
                        5:waven> freeze
                        5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
                        5:waven> you state your business with sanji
                        5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
                        5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
                        5:waven> and i will talk to ease
                        5:Freeze> LOL
                        5:waven> that's how things work around here
                        --
                        1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

Originally posted by Noah View Post
                          When you put stuff like that, everything sucks, gdug.

FPS games is the same with the exception that the pixels and weapon effects looks differently from game to game, right?

With thinking like this, you can call everything useless and boring.
                          Not really. I just don't see much appeal to WoW because what you spend the majority of the time doing -- killing mobs and collecting items -- isn't done in an entertaining way. It requires you to do almost nothing, has never once managed to get my blood pumping... initially I admit it's interesting, but then you realize it's largely just a very prettily-dressed exercise in the very tedious. It relies on the larger picture -- getting to level X, seeing such and such new area, getting the better mount so that travelling isn't so goddamn boring -- whereas Subspace is enjoyable on a minute level. Just flying around is often a pleasure. Where it's lacking is having any goal past killing some people and grabbing flags.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel View Post
                            Demonfaze and Fireballz
                            +whole pallies squad

Comment

Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
                              Yeah, I'll agree it caters to a different audience. To play WoW you must have three prerequisites:

- You must immensely enjoy collecting useless things. This comprises the set of all viewers of the Home Shopping Network.

- You must consider hitting numbers and making the same calculation over and over again to be a "game." This set of individuals is equal to the set of all accountants.

- You must imagine yourself to be "exploring" when you enter the exact same cave design which you've already seen in 26 other places. This set is limited to the set of all people who are idiots.

The most fascinating part of this analysis? The intersection of these three sets comprises the largest MMOG playerbase ever to exist.
                              to enjoy distension:

- you must immensely enjoy getting raped by players who play it every day- not because they are better but because they have all the power-ups. this set is limited to those who have excellent patience from excessive amounts of waiting for women.

- you must consider hitting buttons and making the same calculation over and over again to be a "game." this set of individuals is equal to the set of future clerks and hotel cleaners.

- you must imagine yourself to be "exploring" intergallactic space when you enter the exact same map design every time you play. this set is limited to the set of all people who are idiots.

the most fascinating part of this analysis? it caters to exactly the same audience as wow but wow apparently has people that would pay to play it it is so fun to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X