Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were an Event Referee, what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were an Event Referee, what would you do?

This is an open thread for everyone who wants to say something useful, consistent and reasonable concerned to our TW EVENTS.

ALL TW PLAYERS:
    • Here you may do suggestions, compliments or even criticize the way our ERs host and what may be changed.
    • Finally, if you were an ER, what would you do to change things?
    • What arenas are underhosted or overhosted?
    • What actions shall be taken to improve our quality and attract more people?
    ALL STAFF TEAM:
    • Here we have an opportunity to read what our players think and to observe what might be our flaws in reference of our hosting style.
    Warning: Don't waste this gateway between Staff and Players with deliberated verbal harassments.

As suggested by 2kill, here we have our complete list arena:
    http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=32600
    You are can take a look and point out what events we could host more
    Last edited by MBananas; 04-03-2008, 01:14 PM.

Staff sucks
    "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

underhosted: manual tournaments, jav and wb large team and multi team deathmatches with regular settings. all that kind of stuff hosted with regular settings.

overhosted: zombies, supersharks and the like, bug, those kinds of things.

some things that dont seem to get hosted enough are basing events (though with distension, not a huge concern). except when a base event does finally get hosted, its octabase or warzone. sometimes i confuse them though. octabase is the one with stupid settings right? the one where the spider is really strong? and warzone is ok with regular settings? i always forget

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

well... eventbot is a great idea to get the events hosted that people want.

but what about all the others that aren't hosted enough for people to try, to find out they like them? I would suggest something along the line of chosing an event from this thread http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=32600
        and hosting one that isn't hosted alot

would vary the events hosted

2kill

Comment

lol Zeebu, yes, in Octabase every ship can kill with a single shot...Warzone has a good balanced ship settings.

Comment

i agree with 2kill, if i were an <ER> i'd 1st pick events off of eventbot, and after playing 1 or 2, i'd pick a random one off of that list of public arenas.

Most of the time (with the exception of HMS) if i request one of those random events, they won't get played.

A) The person who i asked has never heard of it and doesn't want to try it.
            B) They say it sucks and don't want to play it.
            C) They say get 10 other people to suggest it and then they'll play it.
            D) I just get ignored.

By the way, no wrong answers there

I think, if it were me, I'd try to keep a balance between playing what people want (like when 4 ppl spam over and over again for acro when an events almost done) and showing them new/old events that don't get played often.
            .fffffffff_____
            .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
            .ffffff|ff __fffff|
            .fffffff\______/
            .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
            .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
            .fffff\________/
            .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
            .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
            .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
            .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
            .fff\__________/

Comment

if i wuz an er i wud host batulships so we would have more cool stats
              USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

O NOES!
                mah cool batulshipz cool stats were reset by a pro mod!

gg'd
                The above text is a personal opinion of an individual and is not representative of the statements or opinions of Trench Wars or Trench Wars staff.

SSCJ Distension Owner
                SSCU Trench Wars Developer

Last edited by Shaddowknight; Today at 05:49 AM. Reason: Much racism. So hate. Such ban. Wow.

Comment

If I were an <ER>, first thing I would do is shut off Robo_Ref and host a game of Javs in ?go baseelim, then when it was over hopefully the remaining players could get baseelim going on its own again for atleast the night.

Comment

Originally posted by kronic View Post
                    If I were an <ER>, first thing I would do is shut off Robo_Ref and host a game of Javs in ?go baseelim, then when it was over hopefully the remaining players could get baseelim going on its own again for atleast the night.
                    noone cept pl van can shut down robo ref
                    SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
                    SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
                    Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
                    Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
                    1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
                    1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Originally posted by D1st0rt View Post
                      if i wuz an er i wud host batulships so we would have more cool stats
                      I tried to host it a few days ago and the bot gave up on me. Dald tried to take over, same thing happened!
                      help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

You know, personally I'd say that it's very difficult to decide on an event to host.

First of all, there are a few types of people in TW that I'd like to make mention to. <ER>'s, TWD/TWL'ers, Tourny/Elim/BElim'ers, Event hunters, Pubbers and chatters.

When there are a decent amount of people online that are asking for events, what does an ER do? Who does he listen to? What event do they host?
                        It's hard to please everyone and sometimes pleasing the majority is not enough. Fair enough, some people don't even show up to events because they only come online to TW to either play with their squad, tourny/elim/belim, chat or pub. It's clear that for some events to be successful, you need a rather decent amount of people playing. I guess it all comes down to whoever is online at the time.

Now, Pubbers don't really understand what's going on half the time and you'd be surprised how many don't read adverts. Whatever you're going to host probably won't affect them much at all. Chatters hardly leave whatever arena they're in and don't even bother to show up to most hosted events. Ruling out the Publics population and those either chatting/afk, in combination with how many bots there are, TW's population is lower than people actually think.

With reference to manual hosting of Tournaments, Jav/Wb, Not many people choose to leave tourny to play a manually hosted tournament. Why? It's so efficiently designed in tourny that it makes playing it so easy and enjoyable. Tourny is only opearted throughout the weekends, but any other time there is not enough players online to host an enjoyable Tournament.

Basing events are similar to manual tournaments. Many of the basers prefer to stay in ?go base as it's so much easier to use, to play in and the arena is default to both league and divisions games. Why would players leave base to come to a basing event? I'm not saying Basing events are bad and i'm certainly not disrespecting map creators and/or <ER>'s by saying this, but Basing events are usually unsuccesful because whenever TW has enough players online for it to work efficiently, they are all bothering about other things to do. Those who are left, the event hunters or the few basers who do decide to turn up, either are not enough in numbers or are inexperienced to the point where the game is extremely sloppy and/or one sided, causing many players to leave.

Events simulating default settings are great for experienced players who do well in their respective fields. Most of these events are elimination type games, ie. Deathmatch, javs2 etc. Most of the newer players/Event hunters die quickly in these events and tend to abandon ship once they are out. Fair enough, veterans seem to win the majority of the time but often these events can drag on, especially when it's neck and neck in the end.

Zeebu, you say events like zombies and bug etc. are overhosted. Yes, I agree, however these events let players continue on with the game even when they're out. Events like this, although some not that exciting, usually provide the most enjoyable game for new players and old. The new players end up being the 'zombies' and the like very quickly, and usually it's the old players left as the 'humans' defending themselves.
                        Another few events that many players enjoy are: ghoulgames, dodgeball type games, rabbit, gatez type games, conquer and games as such.

I'm not posting this as a personal attack against you Zeebu, however you gotta look at the big picture. Choosing the right event is difficult to make everyone happy. <ER>'s need to be aware of what options are on the table and is their duty to train themselves to know a wide variety of events to host. Every <ER> on staff certainly has experience and they do the best they can to host efficiently and to please the majority. I guess maybe we do need to settle down on some events, or to host others more. But I guess really it's down to whatever seems like the favourite at the time gets the host. And the favourite, usually, is thrown about by the eager Event hunters, and the events they like are the ones where they don't have to sit in spec and watch others play.

All in all, no one really knows what is going to happen, everything is unpredictable
                        1:Underground> WHO THE FUK ARE THE WITH, EASE, WITH EASE, EASE JR.

Yojo?> And I keep arguing that when everyone else sees his stuff 3/10 of a second ahead of him, factoring in the 3/8 of a second it takes your brain to tell your hand to move, it's nothing to do with skill =/

1:zidane> they dont wanna play vs. u dald
                        1:B4sERmaN75_X> dald youve been blacklisted by pirates gg

1:Ease> fucking stupid newbie sitting out of base for half an hour, then you finally come in and fire shots at 1000 mphl

Comment

Originally posted by duel pasta View Post
                          I tried to host it a few days ago and the bot gave up on me. Dald tried to take over, same thing happened!
                          i shal investigrate
                          USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

If I was an ER i'd host the same 20 or so events over and over, but at least they'd be fun and sometimes random events. Oh wait, did that.

I'd like ER's to use some imagination and try something new. There are plenty of maps not designed for DM or what have you that are a fun diversion. Have warbirds in a jav map, play a dm in maps with odd settings (zone66, etc). Have maps where you prize something odd, aka not super or decoys. Rockets!

use some imagination, make an event all your own, and rule us all with an iron fisted...fist
                            The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                            All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickname View Post
                              If I was an ER i'd host the same 20 or so events over and over, but at least they'd be fun and sometimes random events. Oh wait, did that.

I'd like ER's to use some imagination and try something new. There are plenty of maps not designed for DM or what have you that are a fun diversion. Have warbirds in a jav map, play a dm in maps with odd settings (zone66, etc). Have maps where you prize something odd, aka not super or decoys. Rockets!

use some imagination, make an event all your own, and rule us all with an iron fisted...fist
                              If I were an <ER>, No one would be able to host again! (can I hear an amirite from all the <ER>'s out there)

I host exclusively from eventbot, UNLESS I am hosting for myself. (See cube/twisted)

The only fault that I see with the eventbot is that I only host 'popular events" for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                              X