Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elim: let players vote on arena type each game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elim: let players vote on arena type each game?

I've always thought the open-space arena in elim is a bit boring. When I actually played this game, I remember enjoying the top and bottom bars in elim quite a bit.

What if we were to have a vote for which arena type to use at the start of each elim game? Players could select between the open-space style, and a map with some obstructions (some). It could result in hiding, sure, but it could also involve a different style of play. I've always liked the warbird most for dueling, but open space play gets old, and a good battle among some obstructions -- dodging between them; anticipating when the enemy will come around the corner; making those impossible shots through a small hole -- can be a welcome change from time to time. And change (with democratic leanings) is what we need to keep focusing on in order to keep the zone kicking.

I realize that space in the elim arena is a bit of a premium at present, but we could size down the off-play arena, or possibly fit it into a side-space. The obstruction arena wouldn't need to be as large as the open-space one, either. Making it work would be as simple as having the bot set the spawn coordinates; it already sets the spawn radius based on number of players, so that shouldn't be any problem. (Also, we could add another wall layer to the current open-space arena for particularly small games. Hard to track everyone down in a huge open space when only 5 players have been playing the entire round.

there are rocks
    TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

for the most part, i am against this idea... probably because it promotes hiding.

the only way i could condone this is if the map were ridiculously small... somewhat the size of the javving base. that way, if youre hiding, noone has to go search for you.

maybe make the whole thing out of gates and at the final 2 people, remove all the walls and leave it an open space.

you say you remember elims with the bar, but do you remember the god awful snoozefests when there were 2 people left and they just danced around it?

please dont let that happen

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

You could use energy gates as obstacles and as arena size limiters. As the number of players decreases, the energy gate obstacles (which could be made to look like asteroids) open, while the energy walls enclose more of the level, all managed by the bot. The downsides to energy gates are that they are always visible on radar, and you are limited to 8 (sets) in an arena.

I also detest hiding in a game that is supposed to be about combat. Here's another suggestion: Say the bot keeps track of a max distance from the center of the map, and max distance from the nearest enemy player. As the number of players decreases, a player who is outside the max distance from center and max distance from nearest enemy is awarded an engine shutdown green that lasts 1 or 2 seconds. The bot could poll player distances again every 15 seconds or so. As more time passes and/or the number of players decreases, both distances could be shortened. Eventually, after too much dancing around and not enough killing, players will have to huddle near the center and stay in each other's face in order to avoid engine shutdown.

Also, it would not have to be the center of the map, but could be a point chosen randomly by the bot as the arbitrary focal point for the round.
        Originally posted by Crunchy Nut
        2d spaceships nobody gives a shit

Comment

This is a good idea. I love basing in wb but pretty much the only place to do it atm is pub.
          I think it would work best as a small arena, like zeebu said. And a little more open than the jav base.. but not too much.
          sigpic

Comment

?

energy gates im guessing your meaning doors?

yeah that would stink because you would see them on radar all the time =(

Another idea. Maybe introduce baseelim into elim arena i mean 2 maps .
            the bot would recognize if you enter in ship 1 or ship 2 then put you in the next starting game.
            Would be kinda cool seeing 2 events going on in one arena simutainousely.
            Get everyone back together . Of course it would probably take alot of coding =(
            OR make that top base a warbird map with walls
            , with walls you would want it smaller just so it didnt take a lifetime for 1 game.
            Then a vote for which map to play in like you were saying. =P

Just thru this together. real quick .
            Last edited by Witness; 01-02-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Okay, I'm gonna be honest.

Warbird with walls is only going to end up with people chasing each other around walls, MAYBE putting blocks together for those shots through holes maybe a good idea, just consisting of two blocks (or rocks) with a gap inbetween, but even that might not be so great.

Second point is that casual play has to go. It divided the population within the elim arena. Players just spec, making casual play useless. Elim was special because you couldn't get in ALL the time, people wanted to be in more and appreciate the game more when they didn't have 24 hour access. Besides, it's basically deserted the way it is.

Now, I'm DEFINITELY all for joining the baseelim/elim community as it was back in the day, as long as there is a set algorithm in the bots which would allow EQUAL warbird to javelin games, with plenty of opportunity for a refreshing change in games (anyship, lev etc.).

Or have them both running simultaneously as Witness suggested. The bot could detect whether you jumped in as a warbird or a jav, and can place you in the respective elim according to what ship you chose. Lots of potential for this idea to grow.

However, for any of these ideas to be as nearly successful as everyone hopes, ?go javs may have to go. I'm open for discussion on this, as we haven't tried this idea whilst joining the elims together. Does javs actually need to be here?
              (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
              5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
              1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
              1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

nemo.
                Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                There wont be another election for president.
                Obama is the Omega President.
                http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

keep go javs.
                  Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                  2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                  2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

dug, we dont need a wild bot for this...

in my opinion, we should have a database of three good elim maps, and just cycle through them, lets say change the map once every month, or once every three months...
                    6:Screamo> this sub is making my leg twitch
                    6:LMAO> subway is kinda shady nowdays
                    6:Screamo> err
                    6:Screamo> subwoofer*

1:Krazie <ER>> crap
                    1:Krazie <ER>> i get one less hour of sleep
                    1:Krazie <ER>> freaking DST
                    1:bioture> at least my car clock will finally be correct

(ignite)>There is a new currency on the market, the IGNITE

Comment

Originally posted by Krazie_Killer View Post
                      dug, we dont need a wild bot for this...

in my opinion, we should have a database of three good elim maps, and just cycle through them, lets say change the map once every month, or once every three months...
                      nice a+
                      Devest.proboards.com

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

Comment

Yeah, the low-tech option could certainly work. The only downside to that is if a map is generally out of favor, people won't play... then again, recognizing that, it wouldn't be too tough just to swap it out. I'm unsure how active our sysops are, though.

Comment

Originally posted by gdugwyler View Post
                          Yeah, the low-tech option could certainly work. The only downside to that is if a map is generally out of favor, people won't play... then again, recognizing that, it wouldn't be too tough just to swap it out. I'm unsure how active our sysops are, though.
                          Well dads revenge is super active and uploads all the maps to tw, so doing this 1 time a month, (some could have holiday themes) shouldnt be too hard?
                          Devest.proboards.com

Creator/Co-Creator of:

Comment

Originally posted by HateTheFake View Post
                            keep go javs.
                            get rid of this already!!

join the two damn arenas like it used to be and all will be well!!!!!!!
                            xxXArsen's Music CollectionXxx

-C4L-

Comment

i fail to see the point of having walls and obstacles for warbird elim except rocks and tree's of course
                              TWDTJ & TWDTB FINALIST 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X