No announcement yet.

Presenting Continuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long until this game becomes abandonware?
    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
    TelCat> i dont

Comment

As far as I know, SS is the first MMPOG that existed. Obviously some other 'online' games existed as well, but none allowed nearly as many players as SS did on a centralized server system.

SS predated Diablo (so it predated Battle.net), it predated Ultima Online, it predated C&C Sole Survivor (which was sort of a SS clone created by VIE), predated ARC, it predated Tanarus and all of the Sony Station online games.

The only other online multiplayer games that existed along with SS were BBS type games like trade wars, but I don't think those really count, and of course smaller multiplayer games like Doom/Warcraft/etc. where only 4-16 people could log on.
      Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
      www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
      www.animeslice.com

Comment

^^ There was another spaceship game that had multiplayer but I cant remember how many people could play at once...So I guess it wasnt technically a 'mmorpg' but eh it was kinda close in some aspects. It was called Descent. It was actually pretty awesome from what I remember... it was "3d" and you could make your own maps etc.. But I didnt own it, a friend did, so I cant really remember much else about it..

I agree strongly with da1's post.

Comment

I would not call Subspace the first MMO game, that is a bit arrogant. Maybe one of the pioneers as several MMO games emerged at the same time. But MUDs have existed since the 1970s. One forerunner would be the first graphical MMORPG, Neverwinter Nights, which came out sometime in the early 90s and had a capacity for several hundred players by the time work on Subspace began.

Comment

ahh Descent... such a great game for its time... think i'll go play Descent 1-3 again now.

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt View Post
              or Randedl and missleesha or w/e getting married and divorced already

well, you can figure more ideas out from there... but those are some good plot twists to examine!
              Randle does not equal Randedl.
              ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
              Failure teaches success.

Comment

Mention the formation of leagues and how structure evolves based on player opinion
                and also mention how fludd is winning everytime. afk
                Fludd:
                TWLB Champion Season - 9
                TWLJ Champion Season - 10
                TWLJ Champion Season - 11
                TWLD Champion Season - 12
                TWLJ Champion Season - 12
                TWLD Champion Season - 13
                TWLJ Champion Season - 13
                TWLJ Champion Season - 14
                TWEL-J Champion Season - 4

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoor View Post
                  I would not call Subspace the first MMO game, that is a bit arrogant. Maybe one of the pioneers as several MMO games emerged at the same time. But MUDs have existed since the 1970s. One forerunner would be the first graphical MMORPG, Neverwinter Nights, which came out sometime in the early 90s and had a capacity for several hundred players by the time work on Subspace began.
                  MUDs are graphical, they are very different. Neverwinter Nights was originally on AOL only, so that isn't really for the general population or the internet.
                  Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                  www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                  www.animeslice.com

Comment

i guess ph forgot to say that you really ought to mention pandora

Comment

damn he slakin
                      Trench Wars Broadcast Revolution (TWBR) - Visit: www.youtube.com/fieryfire3d

Comment

Originally posted by Vatican Assassin View Post
                        i guess ph forgot to say that you really ought to mention pandora
                        wtf !? u ass hole, being a bitch to ph. Wtf is your problem!?!?
                        1:CrazyKillah> oder if i olny knew u irl u would be dead and i would be in jail

menomena> did you get to see the end of the steelers greenbay game though
                        JAMAL> yeah you dumb fat faggot, was good ending

1:Cape> Why did u axe req
                        1:cripple> I'm very religious, and my new years revolution was to make this squad a better one, so I kept with my resolution and axed req.
                        http://big-dicked.mybrute.com/

Comment

im not sure if this has been said, just raid the 1st post....

but i'd mention thoroughly about the chat system. It basically makes the game what it is....if you think about it, its all about the trash talk, who is better than who, why pandora never wins anything (talking about you respect, as well), and other random stuff going on outside of continuum. Its like politics and war all in one, who doesnt love that stuff?
                          zidane> big play
                          Omega Red> dwop sick
                          mr mime> its called an orca smash u uncultured fk
                          WillBy> ^^

1:Chief Utsav> LOL
                          1:Rule> we dont do that here.

cripple> can u get pregnant if u cum in gf's ass

Comment

did you seriously spell read, r-a-i-d?

seriously?
                            jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

talk about me

my name is pronounced ilya-zee
                              can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

SS was notable because it contained advanced (at that time) prediction algorithm(s) that reduced network overhead, thus enabling a larger multiple player online game to be played over dialup. This was the only real online game innovation it has had.

And I would add that from a marketing stand-point, SS is a model of failure. If the people who were controlling SS early on had to market sushi, they would have called it ‘raw fish’. If you do your presentation on SS, you might want to use the angle of ‘this is how NOT to market a good idea with some decent innovation’. Outline the lack of branding, lack of marketing vision, with the root cause being a diffusion of ownership.
                                Last edited by Ephemeral; 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X