Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trench Wars Public Division (A laughing matter?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trench Wars Public Division (A laughing matter?)

Stupid idea hit me, I sincerely apologize if I'm making you all aggrevated reading these threads. Feel free to click the Back button on your browser. A lot of people have been saying they are bored with this game. I've noticed that there's several factors, and I'm not going to go through the complicated list because not all of them affect each person individually and it will just cause one giant shitstorm of an argument. So my idea is a little intricate and a little creative with supported reasons for why I'm even bothering to make a post about it. Here we go.

What I mean by TWPD is not your standard Trench Wars Division. It will not have its own TWD map or arena. This division takes place in Pure Pub only. The goal of this division is to get pubbers more interested in squads and/or TWD in general. New players play in publics right? Why not make a division dedicated to the public arenas then? This could catch the interest of the new players much quicker and easier than them randomly stumbling upon the TWD arenas and going "oh, what's this?" two years after making their first username.

It's going to work very similar to the "Top Players" feature that used to be on the front page of www.trenchwars.org. However instead of "Top Players" there will be "Top Squads". The heirarchy of the system will work in the manner that the TWD system works. My idea revolves around a system that allots points to the squad on the TWD page for the respective division (much like winning a normal TWD match) based on how many squadmates are on the team when they win (like .2 (or whatever works best) points for each squadmate on the team when they win). Losing a match will also cost your squad points just like losing in a TWD match. Two ways of doing this.

1. No Frequency Changes to Bot
    We could just allow the bot to regulate the frequencies much like it does now, but there's some negative effects of this. (I believe, not positive) Players are automatically switched up on frequencies at the beginning or before each match (like I said I'm not sure, I don't pub often) to even it out and this can bring a bit confusion and frustration for squadmates on seperate frequencies when they can't be on the same team. It could still work, but lets say you have three squadmates on freq 0 and five squadmates on freq 1, based on a .5/squaddie point system, freq 1 will win 2.5 points for the squad if they win, meanwhile since there are three people on the same squad on freq 0, the squad will also lose 1.5 points.

2. Frequency Changes to Bot
    Allowing player-owned frequencies much like in Extreme Games and probably some other zone(s) can be very beneficial to competing squads. If I want to have my own frequency with my squad on it, a simple !own 1337:drowssaP / !join 1337:drowssaP will allow only my squadmates to play on my frequency.

The benefit of having a Public TWDivision is that it will catch the eye of the many new players that don't know what the game's really got to offer. They're going to see a bunch of players beginning to play the game very effectively, and try to adapt to these player's styles, or copy the style, creating a very competitive zone that many people will catch on to quickly. Pubbers don't have ANYTHING to really get them to keep playing. They aren't gaining anything by playing in a public arena. Over time you won't be seeing a public arena full of javs, but effective teams with the right shipsets that work the best together. Eventually these squads will branch off into the other divisions, creating even more competition and much more activity. Other squads that don't normally pub could also possibly join in when there aren't any captains online to do a match, or if there just isn't enough squadmates to do a match. Thus, much less bored players. Much more action. Less pub newbs that don't know what they're doing.

I'm sure I'm on the right track here, and it's very likely someone else can think of a better idea to handle new players with an actual system that gets them involved. That's kind of what I was getting at. Not exactly this system, since I know nobody will really like it since there's some flaws here and there (and the fact that it's lame), but I've found it to be a more novel approach to get them involved with the zone USING public arenas rather than forcing people to recruit them for something they have no clue about, like TWJD/DD/BD. Something that catches their interest WHILE they are playing in the public arenas. Something that they can use IN the public arena that will lead them out and into the Trench Wars Division. Anyone want to chime in?

Here's the thread that you can use to give your ideas/suggestions on how to attract/keep new players. GO!
    Last edited by Xog; 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM.

too little, too late
    (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

This game's greatest asset was the community. It's combination of game and social mediums catered to a large and diverse range of people, and created a great atmosphere.
      This game's greatest detriment is it's administration. For too long, power-hungry nerds have used this game to vent whatever frustrations they have. The result is many of the people who made this game exciting and fun to log into, have been repeatedly banned by faggot staff and eventually moved on.
      If staff's purpose was to create the most mundane and boring gaming experience on the internet, they have succeeded.
      sigpic

Comment

Don't see why this would not work. A lot of people had a positive response to the "pub squad invite" idea; this is just a more general idea of that.

Would require less time from pubbers from having to TWD/TWJ/etc and they would still be involved in the game than just logging in and shooting bullets/bombs.

Comment

yeah it would be good to extend the pubstats for pure pub to include things like like vital flag saves etc the bot already announces those with a diff message for the time it's saved on so i assume it would be possible to get it to log those stats to a TWPD site.

i do think that pub sould be predominantly for causal play but it would be cool to let the players know there is some rewards or way to track their own play and also open the eyes of very new players to the web sites in general

pubs are shrinking though so i don't think this is going to lead to an influx of new twd players but no point being all negative all the time :P
          In my world,
          I am King

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kontrolz View Post
            too little, too late
            Not quite sure what you mean by that. I'm viewing that in two ways:

1) It should have been done a long time ago, it's too late now because there's not as many people that play so there's no real point in doing it

or

2) It should have been done a long time ago while there were more active members to develop this when TWD was still being worked on, updated etc.

In response to part 1 - It can still be developed, I'm almost certain at least a few people would gather up some squaddies just for the pub division. Heck, I ran into Kilo12 when I was helping Fludd recruit members for his squad, and he was actually in the middle of trying to pick up some of his own squaddies for TWD from pub. After chatting with him for a little while he saw where I was going and got his squad to convert to Vitas. These guys were completely new to the game and didn't even know what TWD was. Kilo12 is pretty much solely a pubber. 90% of the people I've been talking to and striking up conversations with in pubs have explicitly stated that they only play pub because they either don't play every day and think it'll be a detriment to the squad, or they didn't even know that there were so many arenas, let alone TWD. The scary part is, the two people that stated they didn't know there was a list of arenas using the esc+a or ?arena command, have been playing for over a year!

In response to part 2 - I'm sure with some teamwork and elbow grease it can still be done. It just takes effort and a little bit of time. Sure the argument could be made that people don't have much time, but it's not like there's any deadline for this to be finished by. In all honesty if the people that would work on this know what they're doing it really shouldn't take more than a month with them working just 3 hours a week on it.
            Last edited by Xog; 03-18-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Also something to add, TWLB seems to get the least amount of squads into the actual league, so would it be plausible to get the top 1 or 2 squads from TWPD into TWLB? Creates a bit more activity, and an incentive to be a top TWPD squad..

Comment

Originally posted by TagMor View Post
                If staff's purpose was to create the most mundane and boring gaming experience on the internet, they have succeeded.
                Pub is shrinking because a bunch of pussies who don't pub are running it.

It's like they sit around in some sort of private arenas getting stoned and trying to figure out who is more of a genius, and how to express this to the entire zone. No cool stuff allowed in pub.

No levs, no private freqs, a worthless catbox of a weasel, and no prox or thor or any cool tricks for sale.

Maybe people who play in the publics play there consciously, specifically because it is not the elitist circle-jerk that is TWD and TWL. TWPD is the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

More of what has strangled this already dying creature.
                sepetaiya> if your bored on continuum your very unsmart

(Ominous Blue Dot)> Toes are most precious, yes.

Violence> do u eefin no how 2 read?

Comment

Originally posted by de Sade View Post
                  Pub is shrinking because a bunch of pussies who don't pub are running it.

It's like they sit around in some sort of private arenas getting stoned and trying to figure out who is more of a genius, and how to express this to the entire zone. No cool stuff allowed in pub.

No levs, no private freqs, a worthless catbox of a weasel, and no prox or thor or any cool tricks for sale.

Maybe people who play in the publics play there consciously, specifically because it is not the elitist circle-jerk that is TWD and TWL. TWPD is the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

More of what has strangled this already dying creature.
                  Most of TWD and TWL are not elitists. The elitists do tend to stick out like a sore thumb and get noticed much more often then the rest because the non-elitists don't talk smack, which is probably what has distorted your vision towards the Trench Wars Division/League. I'm sure if you were to chill out with a more respectable group, you'd find yourself much more at-ease.

Comment

I just remember times when pub was fun.

The "crucial" time period you all spoke of seems to me to be the sunset of pubs golden age.

Half-tile weasels slipping through the cracks; newbs couldn't even hit them, and it was possible to rush or go balls out uncloaked. LTs galore with people who could drive them, and wb's hunting them like whales. Lev tests with lvl2 bombs with loads of shrap. Sometimes even prox or nightwasp on the weekends. Hell there were even ERs who would host cool events. One might ask ' How do such interesting things come about? '

Could it be through the influence of staff members?

A possible problem is that money has been taken out of one side of the equation. Instead of staff selected in interest of profitable business, it is selected by a system of nepotism and favoritism mixed with capability. It's always going to be a technocracy at the upper levels; the developers and the people who run zones and servers will always be in charge. But their dickhat friends don't know how to force people to have fun.

Ram changes down these slow, fat, complacent, lifeless, debating nerd's throats.

And FUK getting rid of the trees. Set ?go Boki as the pub once in a while. I bet the bot could even manage a few different games other than vanilla-ass flag.

Use points for stuff other than bragging or whatever. Sell warbirds a thor, levs some prox, bricks that aren't dumb as fuk, I bet you could even sell shrapnel. I bet it would sell like hotcakes. I bet people would even play more to earn such things.

Are you seriously catering to people who fear death in an online video-game?

Comment

omg or maybe you could buy an MEDAL next to your TWD name with the hard-earned pub points?

.. lol :wub:

Comment

We need to make prizes for winning like an old school arcade place with tickets.

50000 points and you can buy some plastic piece of shit, and with one billion you can get like an xbox 360 game or something.
                        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

de Sade, that's why I made the medal system and I like the way you think because that's how I think. Games are boring if you don't gain anything. The problem is, we need more bot developers, a dedicated developer who can carry a whole project like this.
                          TW Bot Developer
                          TW Web Developer
                          Friends> All I saw was arobas+
                          Friends> It's like death

Comment

The way to attract new players is with Lust.

Imagine the Lust inspired by a regular being able to bust up the entire FR once in a while. A Lust for killing, a Lust for death-dealing, The Lust For Power. Not much lust for a wooden nickel like the medal, right idea though Arobas+.

Noobs have a tough time getting any gratification out of trenchwars, because it's saturated with experienced players. They need a trump card within sight: "If I get fifty more killz I can bomb those fukers right out of FR and spam chat with EZ EZ EZ like what."

The points system is already in place, and it is already possible to use ?buy to get the bot to prize whatever. No need for a development team. If the bot scripts are on the twcore site... I will add the four or so menu options if you can't get anyone else to do it. Thor is prize #24 rite?

I did like the idea of the owned frequencies though, Xog, so as to not be a total nay-sayer. Pub squads that work like gangs is an idea that might work. The idea works well in chaos and did work well in alpha. It inspires gang rivalries and other player motivating agendas which are probably why you fellas like TWD and TWL so much. This is pretty much already done in 'impure' pub with invite only private freqs or freqs like 420 etc.

Try getting staff to go into pub and chat... to ask pubbers what they want right there.. in the pub. Ask questions like "who wants thor?" and "would any levs like prox?" try to count the 'oooh me!' answers.

Comment

!buy thor - Can only be bought once every 24 hours. Free. Tracked by IP address.

gg

Comment

Working...
                              X