Pub Bucks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pub Bucks question

Another pub game just went down the drain after someone bought 6 shields in a row. A staffer told me that pub bucks make TW 'fun'. I guess I am missing the point of pub bucks.
    I started in EG a long time ago but quickly moved to TW because it was more about teamwork (EG seemed to be more about 'who you knew'). Now, TW pub is all about 'how much money you have'. Developing skills now has much less value. Organizing a group of disparate pub players into a freq to pull off a hard fought win now has no value when all it takes is for someone to buy a few shields.
    Here is the zone mission statement, “The ultimate goal of Trench Wars is the development and maintenance of an online community that fosters teamwork and camaraderie among its members.” Now how does adding pub bucks have anything to do with teamwork? Isn't playing for personal ‘profit’ is almost the opposite of teamwork. Is there any real data that shows that pub bucks have helped TW or is it just another unmeasured ‘better idea’ dart thrown in the dark in hopes that it might make things better?
    eph

When I was in go ?base a month or so ago and Skyman's (a new player since new pub was instituted) was playing and complaining about how he couldn't buy a full charge - this is when I realized that the pub bux system shouldn't exist because it's doing more damage to TW than good.

Now, I know people who know who Skyman's is probably find him to be super annoying -- however that doesn't take away from the fact that he was unaware of how TW's real games of basing and team dueling are supposed to go. Haven't seen him anywhere outside of pub since.

I can't help but think that if he had started playing when there wasn't any pub bux, that he would have already moved on to the TWD games instead of just spawning people in Lanc and buying FCs.
    Fuck it.

Comment

eph we've all made this exact post, tbh bot coders probably too excited over what they can do instead of what they should do and that is getting rid of epidemics and shields. nukebase/strikebase are far less annoying, still annoying but they actually seem to be used intelligently (as intelligently as anything in pub can be)
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

y jerome owe me 10k
        1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

scumbag cres

-asks for money
          -refuses to give away any of his millions

-"y i not in sig?"
          -never seen jerome in his sig

-"no homo"
          -is homo

internet de la jerome

Comment

I think vaped just likes or dislikes entire threads. Coolio!
            (Children)>hunted for life
            (zhou)>ofc u hear things cus ur still a virgin
            :zhou:i dont wanna go deaf bro

Comment

y jerome not realize the ppl in my sig pay me 5k a week 2 b there
              1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

@vaped
                skymans is not a new player and he doesnt play twd because he likes to play 1 on 1

Comment

i've always hated the pub bucks system

it was introduced poorly with lots of bugs/fixes which was annoying
                  the idea behind it is
                  lets save the game by changing what the game core values is ... i.e. level playing field -> playtime = big advantage in buying tiems
                  hey this will allow us to sell virtual money for real money to fund an advertising campaign that will bring new players that will spend money and soon we will be bigger than WoW !!!
                  of course 1 year later there is $5000 sitting in some bank and i'm guessing no real change in the population , probably continued to decline, specialy as shitty money systems will put off some players and others will leave or pub less

also i'm pretty sure that the $5000 could have been raised by a good appeal rather than pub money system

i'd like to think staff would have come to their senses but i'm not surprised
                  In my world,
                  I am King

sigpic

Comment

Well a change was definitely needed pre-pubbucks and everybody seemed to have an opinion rather than a real and plausible solution. If anything, the pub bucks was the sum of everyone's efforts through endless discussion, debate, and in game testing. The actual wide spread praise of the new pubbucks by those who had a voice (ACTIVE forum members/ recognized veterans) was a morale boost. Anyone complaining now either didn't speak up then, wasn't around during the changes, or have slowly realized the faults of this new system. I'm sure, though, that there is a middle ground to be reached and that everyone seems to strive for. The fact is, everybody cannot be satisfied. We either abandon the system now and lose the following of particular fans; keeping the system as it is possibly losing the fans of olden days; or simplifying the system in order to promote both team based competitive game play and the use of pubbucks through every facet of the public arena. I believe the later to be the best route where as simplification can be done by limiting or even removing excesses such as outrageous purchases of bomb blasts and super/shields.

The current state of the system allows players to purchase anywhere. Perhaps limiting that to only within the spawn area or while attached to a terrier as to imitate olden ideas of Trench War game play through the ability of purchasing stocks of ammunition before entering battle (old TW ideology: the military format of snipers (wb), granadiers (jav), machine gunners (spider), tanks (lev), mobile personnel carrier (terr), spy (weasel), shotgun (lanc), and miner (shark))

I believe by following the old guidelines of TW Founders and co-founders, we can find something we all can work with. Lets start there.

Comment

overkill. pubbucks is nice, just get rid of epidemics and shields. at the very least epidemics - zero usefulness (shield+strikebase plenty sufficient to raid an FR), maximum annoyance.

pub currency in of itself is fine. very useful, and makes pub dueling a bit competitive and high stakes.

internet de la jerome

Comment

I'm kind of on both sides here. I've been playing TW since 03... just came back a month ago after being gone a year or so.

On one side, the epidemics, shields, etc are incredibly overpowered and stupid... meaning that games aren't about who has more skill (like TW used to be) but who has more money - and by definition, whoever has spent more time in the game - which is COUNTERPRODUCTIVE to the goal of attracting NEW PLAYERS, meaning that the pub bux system with the overpowered items makes the game WORSE FOR NEW PLAYERS.

On the other side, being able to buy standard items (reps, ports, etc) while within the base is pretty convenient, though I haven't really taken advantage of that. Buying blindness and slowdown is also basically the only way to easily kill a super levi LT - although, super levi is bought with pub bux also, and LTs can just buy immunity, nullifying this.

I'd say that the uberitems need to be removed, and only standard items can be bought... The pub bux system really is unbalanced and unfair as it is right now though.

Comment

Increase prices

Comment

Originally posted by MaGi kOz View Post
                            Increase prices
                            not going to help the people with thousands and thousands of bux already.

And that will just keep people in pub even longer... which is killing events.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
                              I started in EG a long time ago but quickly moved to TW because it was more about teamwork (EG seemed to be more about 'who you knew').
                              yeah no eg is all about teamwork...ive been on 4 squads over the last egfl/egdl leagues, ur dumb if u think eg aint about teamwork...probably 10x more harder to base than tw...In conclusion talk a walk.
                              sigpic
                              [DUEL] BAT has defeated TABARNAK!!! 5-4 in duel for $35000.
                              [DUEL] BAT has defeated Gripe 5-0 in duel for $2000.
                              [DUEL] BAT has defeated H.M.S. Stargazer 5-1 in duel for $5000.
                              [DUEL] BAT has defeated Johnie <ER> 5-4 in duel for $6000.

[DUEL] R4g3Joe has defeated Bat 5-2 in duel for $2000.
                              [DUEL] Bat has defeated R4g3Joe 5-2 in duel for $12000.
                              TW-Pub1> You have defeated BLAZTRMAZTR 5-4 in duel for $1000.

Comment

Working...
                              X